Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 02:43 PM

46 posts, read 18,351 times

Advertisements

No, I got my license much later than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 02:45 PM

Insurance rate hikes are nearly unaffordable for new drivers so I just drove with my learner's permit for 5+ years and then took a road test eventually, passed with a 90% in 7 minutes (if that's all a road test is it's no wonder there are so many bad drivers out there, a 9 year old could pass it). But I have driven on almost every highway in the tri-state area at least 5 times and must have driven 40,000 miles by now and I have a very good idea about what speeds each road can handle in average/optimal conditions.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:50 PM

It's been about 4 1/2 years since I got my official license.

Old 09-18-2019, 03:53 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Speeders suck.
I can also argue the positives of murder but the laws aint gonna change. Driving too fast is dangerous. I don't care how good someone *thinks* they can drive. Things happen in a split second which gives you half a split second to react. The faster you are moving, the less time you have to react. Driving too fast is dumb. It's arrogant, and selfish. Goodnight.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:05 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Buy how fast is too fast?

Using established methods from the NTSB, 55 is absolutely too low for most of our expressways.

These are all 55mph roads:
Southern State Pkwy - winding 3 lane road
Northern State Pkwy - winding 2 lane road
LIE - three lane interstate
Rt 110 between SSP and NSP - three lanes with stores, curbcuts, side streets, traffic lights, and pedestrian crossings

I don't see how anyone can aruge the same 55mph makes sense for all four of these roadways. The fact is that 55mph is appropriate for Rt110 and the LIE could easily accomodate a higher limit.

The LIE was designed for higher speeds than 55 - and that's based on older cars which were much less safe than the ones on the road today.

Old 09-18-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeSpeeder View Post
Insurance rate hikes are nearly unaffordable for new drivers so I just drove with my learner's permit for 5+ years and then took a road test eventually, passed with a 90% in 7 minutes (if that's all a road test is it's no wonder there are so many bad drivers out there, a 9 year old could pass it). But I have driven on almost every highway in the tri-state area at least 5 times and must have driven 40,000 miles by now and I have a very good idea about what speeds each road can handle in average/optimal conditions.
Quote:
It's been about 4 1/2 years since I got my official license.

I'm with you on the whole speed limit thing. No disagreement there.

But driving 4.5 years with 40,000 miles under your belt? You may very well be a good, safe driver, but that's what I would call a "novice" level of experience. I used to do 1.5x that in a year in a variety of different cars and a number of different cities.

Not trying to sound like some curmudeggeon, but please keep in mind that you still have a lot to learn. I've got more miles behind me than I can count, and I still see new things on the road. There's always something more to learn.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
I'm with you on the whole speed limit thing. No disagreement there.

But driving 4.5 years with 40,000 miles under your belt? You may very well be a good, safe driver, but that's what I would call a "novice" level of experience. I used to do 1.5x that in a year in a variety of different cars and a number of different cities.

Not trying to sound like some curmudeggeon, but please keep in mind that you still have a lot to learn. I've got more miles behind me than I can count, and I still see new things on the road. There's always something more to learn.
Uhh, i live in NYC, So 1 month of driving there is worth 10 years of experience anywhere else. Unlike the people out west who barely ever use the pedals (my car doesnt have cruise control). And what you say is correct, if the crappy road 110 can handle 55 mph, than the LIE could handle 120 by comparison.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Speeders suck.
I can also argue the positives of murder but the laws aint gonna change. Driving too fast is dangerous. I don't care how good someone *thinks* they can drive. Things happen in a split second which gives you half a split second to react. The faster you are moving, the less time you have to react. Driving too fast is dumb. It's arrogant, and selfish. Goodnight.

And 75 mph is not too fast. It is not about skill, but what the traffic and road can handle, anyway try driving in nyc every day and not the beautiful wide open sunrise highway and see how your skill level is then. Oh now he's bringing murder into it LMAO!!!!! I Drove 100 mph on the LIE a few times and got away with it, and i LEAN on the horn to your geriatrics going 55.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:02 AM

Is there still that insane 45 mph work zone around exit 64 on I 495?

Old 09-19-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Uhh, i live in NYC, So 1 month of driving there is worth 10 years of experience anywhere else. Unlike the people out west who barely ever use the pedals (my car doesnt have cruise control). And what you say is correct, if the crappy road 110 can handle 55 mph, than the LIE could handle 120 by comparison.
Actually, one month of driving in NYC is worth one month of driving in NYC.

Manhattan to Queens to Nasau to Suffolk are four different experiences with four different styles of driving. Where out west? Chicago? Arizona? California (LA? SF? Ontario?) All entirely different scenarios.

I think you missed my point. Everyone can learn plenty more with experience. A "good" NYC driver does not equate to a good LI driver - or even to CT or NJ.

You make some great points about speed limits. I just think that your "I have driven 40,000 miles in 4.5 years and I know it all" attitude takes away from your points. It's also the kind of thinking that causes accidents.

YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island