Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 07:20 PM

202 posts, read 265,108 times

Advertisements

I guess there are no general 'superstar' colleges/universities on Long Island for reasons explained by the previous posters. Rather, almost each college has a select few highly-reputable programs.

Stony Brook is obviously great for science, math, and health fields. NYIT has some very good health science programs too. Molloy is excellent for nursing. C.W. Post has a very good speech pathology program. Hofstra is well-known for their performing arts programs and has recently made great strides in medical programs. St. John's University (while technically in Queens but has many Long Island commuters) has a great pharmacy and psychology program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 05:52 AM

5,050 posts, read 3,954,202 times
I would add that the Merchant Marine Academy is/was very well regarded in certain circles. I am not sure the OP was considering this school either.

I am still adjusting to the fact that Geneseo, Binghamton, and SBU are the stars of the SUNY galaxy. The idea that Stony Brook is among the top 80 universities in the entire country is in and of itself mind blowing. Geneseo attracts excellent students now - it is very difficult to get into. As a matter of fact it prides itself on being one of the most selective public colleges in the country in terms of raw numbers. Forget the party image of Stony Brook 30- 40 years ago in the 70's and 80's, Geneseo was completely - and I mean completely - off the grid back then!

(my apologies to U of B grads)

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 01-22-2014 at 06:03 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 09:56 AM

8,689 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Did you apply to Webb Institute? It is very highly selective and one of the finest colleges of its sort in the world? I suspect the OP is not familiar with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Webb is so highly specialized that the masses overlook it.

that is probably true.

Sorry, I was not an engineering major, so it wouldn't be on my radar.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Did you apply to Webb Institute? It is very highly selective and one of the finest colleges of its sort in the world? I suspect the OP is not familiar with it.

I didn't apply to either SBU or SJU either. Or Hostra or Adelphi. I wanted to go away to school.
Now Law School or Med School would have been an entirely different matter. Even then.

At the time (1980) SBU was not considered a gem of the SUNY system. I think SUNY Albany was. My how times have changed.
Yes, I gave the same example in an earlier post as an example of how school reputations fluctuate over time. NYU used to be a bottom level school. Now look at it.

The advantage that we have here for any of our regional schools is our location. There will always be adjuncts and professors who have experience and connections to the top level institutions in their field in the NYC area. What difference does it make if your degree is from Adelphi University if some professor hooks you up with an internship at some prestigious institution that gets your foot in the door? Look at the long list of Hofstra grads who have been successful in theater, TV, and movies. Yet, their theater department is not on any type of level as Julliard or NYU. If you luck out through some sort of connection, your degree does not matter. Depending on the field of choice, our location alone provides access. I had a teacher who at the time lived next door to Bill Moyers. I was not interested in broadcasting or journalism so it didn't matter to me. The teacher (who did not teach in the journalism department) was friends with Bill Moyers who offered some summer opportunities (through his friends of friends) for any of the college teacher's interested students as a casual favor. Someone like Bill Moyers is more likely to live near NYC than Raleigh or Ann Arbor.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
never really crossed my mind. After all, it's not like we're talking about a large geographic area. And there's no shortage of quality schools within a very reasonable driving distance in NYC, Westchester, NJ, and CT (not for daily commuting, but not a 9 hour slog either).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island