Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 08:05 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times

Advertisements

Why would Long Island be any more worthy of a higher institute of learning than any other location, Local affluence does not make a better candidate? Looking Nation wide many of the better schools are in outlying areas and many are in less than desirable locations/communities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 08:56 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,954,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
It's mind-boggling.

Long Island has some of the best performing school districts in the nation as well as some of the highest levels of affluence but there is only one remotely good university on Long Island [Stony Brook Univ].
Why would you assume high school performance and local resident wealth would equal co-location with nationally and highly-ranked ranked universities? (Is it really that far from Nassau to Columbia, NYU, Yale? Are the best institutions in areas with the finest high schools and highest resident wealth? Do areas with wealthier residents tend keep their kids local? Etc.)

Beyond that threshold matter, SBU cannot be rationally described as 'remotely good' if I even understand that phrase. SBU is nationally and highly ranked today.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:24 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Why would Long Island be any more worthy of a higher institute of learning than any other location, Local affluence does not make a better candidate? Looking Nation wide many of the better schools are in outlying areas and many are in less than desirable locations/communities.
Hello, Duke University.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:25 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Why would you assume high school performance and local resident wealth would equal co-location with nationally and highly-ranked ranked universities? .
I know, this premise is a little odd. Not to mention, I have friends all over the country and every single one of them thinks they live in "one of the best school systems in the country". Amazing how many of these fabulous school districts there are in this great nation.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:35 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Why would you assume high school performance and local resident wealth would equal co-location with nationally and highly-ranked ranked universities? (Is it really that far from Nassau to Columbia, NYU, Yale? Are the best institutions in areas with the finest high schools and highest resident wealth? Do areas with wealthier residents tend keep their kids local? Etc.)

Beyond that threshold matter, SBU cannot be rationally described as 'remotely good' if I even understand that phrase. SBU is nationally and highly ranked today.
SBU is not that highly ranked.

I guess what's "high" or not is all a matter of opinion but for most really serious students, [at least] the top 50 [us news nat. univ] is considered high. It currently stands at #82, which is definitely still good though

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 01-18-2014 at 10:44 AM..

Old 01-18-2014, 11:17 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,954,202 times
Quote:

I guess what's "high" or not is all a matter of opinion but for most really serious students, [at least] the top 50 [us news nat. univ] is considered high. It currently stands at #82, which is definitely still good though
Great point. For some 82 may not be very good at all. Of course for others it may be very good indeed. Student seriousness notwithstanding.

If I was a really really serious student here on Long Island and excelled in high school Biology and Chemsitry and aimed to become an MD I might think that Stony Brook was an excellent choice indeed. I would be correct.

I suspect there are many excellent schools (Columbia, NYU, Fordham, etc) quite nearby and others quite far away for 'really serious students'. And not-so-excellent schools quite nearby and quite far away for the serious and not so serious alike. As is the case thoughout much of the country there is no fixed relationship here between perceived high school quality, local resident wealth, and university locations.

(Nitpicker Alert: Of course there are outliers and exceptions in this and any other observation)

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 01-18-2014 at 11:46 AM..

Old 01-18-2014, 12:27 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,246 times
This is a valid question. If people want to know why the Island is losing residents, they can look here. At least it was the reason we left. My wife is an academic who commuted to SB for undergrad. When she didn't get in to NYU for grad school, we left for the first time (to Ann Arbor).

Once she finished her PhD, she worked hard enough to secure a job at NYU for her first academic post so we returned and lived in the city for 7 years. We decided we wanted to start a family and didn't want to do it in Manhattan and since there were no viable options in academia on LI (in her field, at least), we bolted again, this time for good. The prospect of starting a family and commuting into the city sounded like a treadmill we wanted no part of, so here we are. I do miss LI on occasion, but happy where we landed.

I think a top-tier university would be great for LI.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:37 PM

703 posts, read 1,173,816 times
Quote:

Depends on the gender/race/class of such serious student. If those don't line up, you can be a great student and not crack the top 50.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:34 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,111 times
You don't need a college degree to work at a 7.25 and hour strip mall thats why.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:53 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
This is a valid question. If people want to know why the Island is losing residents, they can look here. At least it was the reason we left. My wife is an academic who commuted to SB for undergrad. When she didn't get in to NYU for grad school, we left for the first time (to Ann Arbor).

Once she finished her PhD, she worked hard enough to secure a job at NYU for her first academic post so we returned and lived in the city for 7 years. We decided we wanted to start a family and didn't want to do it in Manhattan and since there were no viable options in academia on LI (in her field, at least), we bolted again, this time for good. The prospect of starting a family and commuting into the city sounded like a treadmill we wanted no part of, so here we are. I do miss LI on occasion, but happy where we landed.

I think a top-tier university would be great for LI.
And that is what life on the island is in a nutshell. As many have posted good paying manufacturing jobs are gone, the daily commute to NYC/NYC based jobs are the backbone of the LI economy. Your desire is just to have a school that could have potentially been a job source for your spouse. Did you every consider Princeton or Yale? Both would have kept you roughly in the NY Metro and allowed a suburban lifestyle. There are other schools in the region but I guess they weren't worthy enough....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island