Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 06:56 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,092,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Hi, you said as long as I shoveled by my box I should have gotten mail if there was any. I had shoveled and that's why I checked with the delivery supervisor at the post office to see if it was just that I had no mail. He said they were short of people and some areas would get no mail. (To be honest I don't know if he used the word 'routes' but that was my impression.) He then asked what street I was on and as soon as I told him he said there would be no mail delivery on my street that day.

I did get mail yesterday but it seems like they are still backed up. I have an eBay package that tracking shows arrived in the local post office in the early morning of 1/21 but it still hasn't been delivered.
I hate to say it, if what you say is 100% true, i'd call the district office. The carrier supervisor is doing a horrible job maintaining the office. There are ALWAYS carriers from other offices that can be borrowed especially with the non-career CCA position. All they have to do is call the other offices or send out an email requestion 1, 2, or 10 employees to borrow and they will get them. Also routes without carriers for that day are broken up into multiple half hour, or hour pieces. Most employees are more than willing to do overtime on any given day. As for the package, I would probably go directly to the office after calling them and ask them to hold it. You might need the confirmation number so keep that on hand but you will definitely need id. Now i'm pissed off. The fact that an office is run that bad is ridiculous. It should have effected maybe one day but no more than that. BAD MANAGEMENT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 08:56 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,122,826 times
Quote:
I had to laugh thinking of the post office motto given that they did not attempt to deliver mail in my neighborhood the last two days because of the snow. I can understand yesterday but today is a stretch given that Monday was a holiday. So last mail was Saturday and then presumably tomorrow Thursday. I called to see what's going on and the guy said too many people didn't come in so they didn't send anyone on the route.
That's not the Post Office motto. It's just an inscription on the Farley post office building in Manhattan. So if you're not served by that particular post office (10001), you're out of luck :-)

Old 01-26-2014, 06:54 AM

4,167 posts, read 4,025,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
As for the package, I would probably go directly to the office after calling them and ask them to hold it. You might need the confirmation number so keep that on hand but you will definitely need id. Now i'm pissed off. The fact that an office is run that bad is ridiculous. It should have effected maybe one day but no more than that. BAD MANAGEMENT!
I still did not get the package now four days after it supposedly left the local post office per the tracking number. I called my post office and got a Chinese woman who frankly was very hard to understand. She thought I had called before on this package, which I hadn't. Then she made a comment that a lot of packages had not gone out but she couldn't help me with mine even with the tracking number. She said that the delivery unit was in a different building and she gave me that phone number. That number was busy for an hour and then when it rang nobody picked up. I then called the USPS 800 number and after being on hold for 45 minutes (literally) a woman came on and opened up an investigation after I gave her the tracking number. I don't like to have to escalate it like this, but this was an eBay purchase and tracking shows the seller shipped it so I can't really blame him or try to get an eBay refund.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:55 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,699,804 times
This has nothing to do with the snow but I have a PO Box and they STILL screw up the mail!!! I constantly get mail meant for other boxholders and they get mine. We have all complained but nothing changes.

Calling the main UPSP number doesn't help. After being on hold forever, all they tell you is if there is a problem or if we don't like their service to call Consumer Affairs!!!

Old 01-26-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I still did not get the package now four days after it supposedly left the local post office per the tracking number. I called my post office and got a Chinese woman who frankly was very hard to understand. She thought I had called before on this package, which I hadn't. Then she made a comment that a lot of packages had not gone out but she couldn't help me with mine even with the tracking number. She said that the delivery unit was in a different building and she gave me that phone number. That number was busy for an hour and then when it rang nobody picked up. I then called the USPS 800 number and after being on hold for 45 minutes (literally) a woman came on and opened up an investigation after I gave her the tracking number. I don't like to have to escalate it like this, but this was an eBay purchase and tracking shows the seller shipped it so I can't really blame him or try to get an eBay refund.
Update: The USPS just delivered the package today, Sunday! My call got somebody's attention.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:01 AM

126 posts, read 221,247 times
Unless you saw the truck I'd figure that the package was misdelivered and one of your neighbors stuck it in the box. That's happened here a time or two or twelve.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,384,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless35 View Post
Unless you saw the truck I'd figure that the package was misdelivered and one of your neighbors stuck it in the box. That's happened here a time or two or twelve.
Sounds about right...happens to me way too often. Im sorry, but todays mail people are terrible.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I didn't see the truck but it was USPS, not a neighbor. The tracking information online says it was delivered Sunday afternoon when I found it.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:56 PM

31 posts, read 152,317 times
They cant do it if they cant. There trucks probably arent so good when it is snowed.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:20 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,092,533 times
Quote:
That can be verified by the tracking number. It should be scanned for sunday. If not, then you are probably right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: