Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 11:52 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,273,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by effie65 View Post
Is this a legal, "official" sign? It is a standard black print on grey background, the letters look different than other DOT signs in my neighborhood. Am I really unable to drive down this road?
Ignore the sign - nobody will ever enforce it, and you get to **** off some NIMBYs in the process
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:37 PM

573 posts, read 1,236,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
In many instances the signs ARE official. Its exactly to reduce traffic on residential streets that are either a parallel, or short-cut to a through street with higher traffic.

Squeaky wheel (residents) will get the grease.

Often times when these smaller streets are used as through streets, its by careless people are higher speeds.

While the legitimate signs have legal authority, I dont see how enforcable they are. If you were to get pulled over you can play dumb. Looking for x address, a house for sale, I grew up here and wanted to see the house today. As long as you dont take the cop for an idiot, I dont see you getting a ticket.

Just my $0.02, (can I have change?)
Just piggybacking on what you said Buck,

If the whole point of taking the cut through is to save time (which may not be the case for some) then just getting pulled over will basically nullify the benefit of using it. A cop could also just say "ok tell it to the judge" (and write down whatever story you gave him on the ticket) and now you've got the choice of taking the time to appear in traffic court to attempt to convince a judge you were using that street for a legitimate reason (you may be able to plead not guilty by letter and send in any proof you would have submitted at trial), or you can pay a fine.

I guess there are 3 basic groups - those who will not use the street out of respect for or fear of the law/sign/residents, those who would use the street but will take into account the different risks involved like those above and decide not to, and those who will use it regardless. So the sign gets ride of 2/3 of the groups and is better than nothing I guess.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:40 PM

6,922 posts, read 6,980,955 times
Another thing that occurred to me is that there is a small residential side street, Margaret Ave, which runs parallel to Townline Rd, one block to the north. Margaret Ave definitely has no signs restricting usage. If somebody travelling nothbound on Old Nichols Rd turns left onto Margaret, I assume there are no signs banning turns onto Lake Ave, since there would be nowhere else to go. Presumably, somebody can use Margaret Ave to access the forbidden section of Lake Ave, without ever seeing a No Through Traffic sign. Unfortunately, if you do get pulled over, I'm sure the cop and the courts would both give you their standard "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" line.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,658,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Maybe kids shouldn't be playing in the street?
You didn't? Its what kids do, or did when I was a kid. no one's yard was big enough for kick the can, spud, kickball or stick ball. So where else could we play those games?

Old 02-03-2014, 12:37 AM

By the way, I was on Townline Rd today, and the No Thru Traffic sign for NB Lake Ave was knocked down. That explains why LiGuy1202 did not see a sign for NB traffic.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,178,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
By the way, I was on Townline Rd today, and the No Thru Traffic sign for NB Lake Ave was knocked down. That explains why LiGuy1202 did not see a sign for NB traffic.
Did you knock it down, mits?

Old 02-07-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Did you knock it down, mits?
No I did not.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:20 PM

884 posts, read 1,401,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
No I did not.
That's a double negative.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by useasdirected View Post
That's a double negative.
I forgot to put a comma after the word "no", but it's too late to edit the post now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island