U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 01-29-2014, 06:45 AM
 
17 posts, read 37,697 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

hi,

i am moving from boston and will be working in manhattan (around 50th and 6th).
am looking to buy a house in the burbs and am ok with 60-75 min commute - budget is $600-800k

any suggestions on LI suburbs with the best school districts with diversity?

please let me know your thoughts.

cheers
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2014, 07:49 AM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
15,720 posts, read 23,949,403 times
Reputation: 11687
Wow, what a coincidence that you are looking within the exact same parameters as someone made a recent thread about. I mean that is truly amazing.

Are Non-NYers moving in ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 08:04 AM
 
792 posts, read 1,233,381 times
Reputation: 651
Assuming you have no particular limit on taxes (and assuming this is a real question), I'd say your options (in no particular order) are:

- Rockville Centre with Rockville Centre schools
- Jericho with Jericho schools
- Syosset or Woodbury with Syosset schools
- Manhasset school district (all of the communities within the district are nice, although many will be out of your price range - there's limited inventory within your budget)
- Great Neck school district (same deal as Manhasset)
- Herricks school district (I personally prefer Williston Park with Herricks schools, but none of the communities that the district includes are bad at all, and you may find more bang for your buck elsewhere within the district)
- East Williston with East Williston schools
- Albertson with either E. Williston or Herricks schools
- Port Washington with Port Washington schools (not quite as highly rated as other districts listed here, but still great and it's a great train line)
- Roslyn school district
- Possibly the North Shore school district, although again, it's not nearly as highly rated as the other districts listed here

There are options on the South Shore as well, but in general the schools aren't as well-regarded (although I'm sure others will be happy to chime in and tell me why I'm wrong about that). I'm also sure I've missed plenty of options, which, again, others will be happy to correct me on.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 08:25 AM
 
4,123 posts, read 6,703,300 times
Reputation: 2206
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Wow, what a coincidence that you are looking within the exact same parameters as someone made a recent thread about. I mean that is truly amazing.

Are Non-NYers moving in ?
of course they first posted in the NYC and CT forums. Just because you use a dupe doesn't mean everyone else does!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 09:35 AM
 
106 posts, read 214,097 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Assuming you have no particular limit on taxes (and assuming this is a real question), I'd say your options (in no particular order) are:

- Rockville Centre with Rockville Centre schools
- Jericho with Jericho schools
- Syosset or Woodbury with Syosset schools
- Manhasset school district (all of the communities within the district are nice, although many will be out of your price range - there's limited inventory within your budget)
- Great Neck school district (same deal as Manhasset)
- Herricks school district (I personally prefer Williston Park with Herricks schools, but none of the communities that the district includes are bad at all, and you may find more bang for your buck elsewhere within the district)
- East Williston with East Williston schools
- Albertson with either E. Williston or Herricks schools
- Port Washington with Port Washington schools (not quite as highly rated as other districts listed here, but still great and it's a great train line)
- Roslyn school district
- Possibly the North Shore school district, although again, it's not nearly as highly rated as the other districts listed here

There are options on the South Shore as well, but in general the schools aren't as well-regarded (although I'm sure others will be happy to chime in and tell me why I'm wrong about that). I'm also sure I've missed plenty of options, which, again, others will be happy to correct me on.
This advice is spot on. Don't forget Garden City with Garden City Schools (not very diverse though), but a better commute than Jericho, Syosset, Woodbury, Herricks, East Williston, Albertson, Roslyn and North Shore School District.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 10:52 AM
bg7
 
7,698 posts, read 7,627,262 times
Reputation: 14991
50th and 6th?

Don't waste your time on LI and the LIRR. Commute to Grand Central on MNRR. While MNRR has had a few black eyes of late, its still far ahead of commuting on the LIRR and godawful Penn.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Georgia
2,506 posts, read 6,004,582 times
Reputation: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacece View Post
hi,

i am moving from boston and will be working in manhattan (around 50th and 6th).
am looking to buy a house in the burbs and am ok with 60-75 min commute - budget is $600-800k

any suggestions on LI suburbs with the best school districts with diversity?

please let me know your thoughts.

cheers
Hi there, welcome to the LI forum.

Can you tell us a little about why did you decide on Long Island compared to living on the NJ, CT or upstate NY bordering manhattan....

I have to say its an amazing coincidence, we were just having the discussion over the past couple of days about this scenario.
Can you tell us more about your family ? Do you have family or friends in the tri-state area ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 11:04 AM
 
4,123 posts, read 6,703,300 times
Reputation: 2206
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Hi there, welcome to the LI forum.

Can you tell us a little about why did you decide on Long Island compared to living on the NJ, CT or upstate NY bordering manhattan....

I have to say its an amazing coincidence, we were just having the discussion over the past couple of days about this scenario.
Can you tell us more about your family ? Do you have family or friends in the tri-state area ?
where is this magical place where Manhattan abuts upstate NY?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 11:21 AM
 
792 posts, read 1,233,381 times
Reputation: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
where is this magical place where Manhattan abuts upstate NY?
It's usually called "the Bronx," no?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2014, 11:26 AM
 
166 posts, read 447,363 times
Reputation: 87
I am inbetween homes right now (sold in Port Washington and currently buying)... but was/am pretty much set on the Port Washington / Manhasset / Great Neck line for the easy commute. I have very young kids that will start elementary school soon. I also work in the city (just so happens that one of my offices is on 6th AVE and 51st ST... take the E train to the 7th AVE stop after getting off the LIRR at PENN station.) I would say I am like most families in the area that want the easiest commute possible in the "burbs", great schools, a comfortable lifestyle for the kids, and willing to pay for it with compromises. I am in LI, only due to family nearby. All my coworkers live in NJ or upstate NY.

I can rant on about my house search, but I thought the following might be helpful if you want some proof of how proficient the students are when it comes to college applications. Mind you, these numbers will swing from year to year, so don't focus on the ranking... just be assured that these are top schools in LI.

NOTE: I include Roslyn since the Flower Hill section of Roslyn gets the Port Washington LIRR sticker to park your car.

Top 10 SAT 2012 test scores in LI:
- Just want to point out that, ALL the high schools along the Port Washington LIRR line have TOP SAT scores.

School Reading Math Writing Total
Great Neck South High School 595 648 622 1865
Manhasset Senior High School 591 637 612 1840
Jericho Senior High School 584 627 615 1826
Roslyn High School 572 609 599 1780
Cold Spring Harbor Junior Senior High School 584 599 575 1758
Wheatley School 567 591 580 1738
Herricks High School 555 597 583 1735
Syosset High School 556 604 572 1732
Paul D Schreiber High School 562 582 572 1716
JL Miller - Great Neck North High School 546 582 580 1708


Top 10 AP 2012 test scores in LI:
- Just want to point out that, ALL the high schools along the Port Washington LIRR line have TOP AP pass rate per test taker.

School TestTakers Tests Pass(3-5) Pass/TestTaker
Great Neck South High School 515 1322 1244 2.42
JL Miller - Great Neck North High School 347 959 747 2.15
Manhasset Senior High School 429 1116 909 2.12
Harborfields High School 414 998 859 2.07
Roslyn High School 380 923 788 2.07
Half Hollow Hills High School East 517 1264 1044 2.02
Huntington High School 273 627 521 1.91
Paul D Schreiber High School 538 1228 1022 1.90
Plainview-Old Bethpage - JFK High School 398 936 746 1.87
Half Hollow Hills High School West 456 1048 853 1.87
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top