Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 02:40 PM

133 posts, read 283,712 times

Advertisements

I have two dogs I adopted from north shore. (liberals like to refer to this as "rescuing") I got free vacinations for life while adopting so I bring them back for minor vet services and shots. The upside is they don't charge you an exam fee every time to go, the downside is the long wait. While I wait I go next door and check out the dogs and pups up for adoption. Today there was a large ruckus going on with a person of color screaming and shouting that it was racism that they were being denied the right to adopt a puppy. After twenty minutes of non stop abuse the North Shore volunteer finally said loud enough for everyone to hear,"Ma'am you receive food stamps. If you can't afford to feed your family on your own you can't afford to feed a dog." End of racist rant. Now thats what I call rescuing a dog!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 02:44 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Unfortunately it may be called "racist discrimination" by the one who was not allowed to adopt the dog simply because she is on welfare.
I'm not sure how that issue even came up, when we adopted our girl 2 years ago finances or jobs were not mentioned on the application and I would not have told them anyway.
I had the fee for the "adoption" and that is all they appeared to be interested in.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:49 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
maybe they wanted to eat the dog?

Old 01-29-2014, 02:51 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
I've adopted from North Shore and never was asked about finances. Their concern was always if anyone was going to be home with the puppy or kitten.

I've gone to North Shore many times--either looking to adopt or just get a fill of that puppy scent and I have never seen anyone being questioned about finances.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:11 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I've adopted from North Shore and never was asked about finances. Their concern was always if anyone was going to be home with the puppy or kitten.

I've gone to North Shore many times--either looking to adopt or just get a fill of that puppy scent and I have never seen anyone being questioned about finances.
I could see that being how it came up - a conversation about "who will be home" turning into "oh, me, I don't work" and leading to a longer conversation about how someone who doesn't work can afford to properly care for a dog.

That, or the shelter was making a racist assumption with no evidence based on the would-be adopter's skin color. (Also a possibility, although admittedly probably not so likely.)

Old 01-29-2014, 03:13 PM

sorry but they do want to know who works and who will be home to watch the pet. Maybe this person volunteered the information? I don't know. However are you CSD610 saying its acceptable for a person who's on welfare, which means that for what ever reason, is not making it on their own,to take on the extra burden of feeding a dog? I mean come on if you can't feed your kids how are you going to feed a dog? By the way she was the one screaming, "you won't give me the dog cuz I'm Black." It wasn't the animal shelter saying you can't have the dog because your on welfare. your typical spin on things holds no water here.

Old 01-29-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinnner1 View Post
I have two dogs I adopted from north shore. (liberals like to refer to this as "rescuing") I got free vacinations for life while adopting so I bring them back for minor vet services and shots. The upside is they don't charge you an exam fee every time to go, the downside is the long wait. While I wait I go next door and check out the dogs and pups up for adoption. Today there was a large ruckus going on with a person of color screaming and shouting that it was racism that they were being denied the right to adopt a puppy. After twenty minutes of non stop abuse the North Shore volunteer finally said loud enough for everyone to hear,"Ma'am you receive food stamps. If you can't afford to feed your family on your own you can't afford to feed a dog." End of racist rant. Now thats what I call rescuing a dog!
Quote:
sorry but they do want to know who works and who will be home to watch the pet. Maybe this person volunteered the information? I don't know. However are you CSD610 saying its acceptable for a person who's on welfare, which means that for what ever reason, is not making it on their own,to take on the extra burden of feeding a dog? I mean come on if you can't feed your kids how are you going to feed a dog? By the way she was the one screaming, "you won't give me the dog cuz I'm Black." It wasn't the animal shelter saying you can't have the dog because your on welfare. your typical spin on things holds no water here.
Wait--first you said that the NS volunteer said loud enough for everyone to hear now you're saying it WASN'T the shelter saying they can't have the dog because they're on welfare?

And you don't know the whole story. She may very well work AND receive assistance. I buy my dog high end food because he has a skin allergy. The bag costs $40 a month. It's not making me go broke. There's plenty of economic pet food out there which allows people to have pets and not spend a ton of money on food.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Wait--first you said that the NS volunteer said loud enough for everyone to hear now you're saying it WASN'T the shelter saying they can't have the dog because they're on welfare?

And you don't know the whole story. She may very well work AND receive assistance. I buy my dog high end food because he has a skin allergy. The bag costs $40 a month. It's not making me go broke. There's plenty of economic pet food out there which allows people to have pets and not spend a ton of money on food.
No what I said is she was causing a ruckus i.e. screaming and yelling,"You won't give me the dog because I'm black" after twenty minutes of her nonsense the worker told her, "No You don't qualify for adoption because your receive food stamps, if you can't afford to feed your family you can't afford to feed a dog." YOUR the one who mentioned welfare. Keep spinning it the way you want. Are you upset because the woman was black? To bad if you are because she was the one playing the race card. The situation had nothing to do with her being black and everything to do with her not being able to properly care for a pet. Seems you have a bit of a race issue yourself. By the way Hi end dog food doesn't go for $40 unless your buying a real small bag of it. Spin on.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:17 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Food stamps ARE a form of welfare.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
No what I said is she was causing a ruckus i.e. screaming and yelling,"You won't give me the dog because I'm black" after twenty minutes of her nonsense the worker told her, "No You don't qualify for adoption because your receive food stamps, if you can't afford to feed your family you can't afford to feed a dog." YOUR the one who mentioned welfare. Keep spinning it the way you want. Are you upset because the woman was black? To bad if you are because she was the one playing the race card. The situation had nothing to do with her being black and everything to do with her not being able to properly care for a pet. Seems you have a bit of a race issue yourself. By the way Hi end dog food doesn't go for $40 unless your buying a real small bag of it. Spin on.
Keep trolling hater. You have a history of negative threads and comments. If you don't know that food stamps are a specific form of welfare then maybe you need to educate yourself a little more.

And re-read your post. First you said one thing, then you said another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island