Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 01:16 PM

167 posts, read 305,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Money doesn't buy class, nor does being raised in a wealthy area -- as evidenced here.
So very true!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 11:42 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,039,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker
Honestly, I wouldn't take it precisely; it was really meant to be a very relative/general thing.... like common characteristics. Under my criteria, whichever grouping you personally feel more in the 'ballpark' with is what I would personally identify as. There are always gray areas and there is no clear-cut/universal criteria for class.

A "decent savings account" is relative. For example, if your a large family who lives an expensive lifestyle in Manhasset then you'd need a much bigger savings account to ensure financial security as opposed to a single dude living in a studio in Bay Shore.

Do you have some number in mind of what you consider to be a "decent savings account" vs family size?

Quote:
In all honesty: I should've left out the "college educated" thing since that is extremely broad and nowadays with college degrees being more and more devalued and many cheap degree mills, college graduates can fall into a wide range of income classes. I actually should've said "graduate degrees" since that is definitely still largely associated with the upper middle class.
The thing is, I do have a graduate degree (a Masters from MIT), as I said earlier, but that doesn't translate to a higher income. There are many people with PhD's who are unemployed or underemployed, and there are a relatively small number of people with no college education at all who are multi-millionaires. So, how do I fit into your classification scheme?

Quote:
And by "decent home", I meant an ordinary average home in adequate condition, like nothing that nice but at the same time, nothing blighted. An example of this would be a standard 60's cape-style home updated 15 years ago with a driveway that could use some repaving and a kitchen that needs updating but otherwise still fine.
I own a small 2 bedroom condo, but one that is in very good condition (it was heavily updated by the previous owner) and in a good school district. Currently, as a married couple with no children, I consider it to be a "decent home". But it would not be a "decent home" after having 2 children. So, again, the criteria are somewhat subjective.
Anyone have any answers?

Old 07-31-2015, 03:05 PM

8 posts, read 10,446 times
I think that the closest you get to the water the richer you get. For example, on the Souther shore, the richest is probably Seaford or Merrick. the richest on the north shore is cold spring harbor and mutton town.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:17 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,469,703 times
I thought that only the terms "Lower Middle Class" and "Upper Middle Class" were used, with the former representing most people's idea of "middle class"?

Old 07-31-2015, 05:16 PM

159 posts, read 279,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlongisland View Post
I think that the closest you get to the water the richer you get. For example, on the Souther shore, the richest is probably Seaford or Merrick. the richest on the north shore is cold spring harbor and mutton town.
It depends, there are many rich places in the center of the island far away from water like Dix Hills, Garden City, Melville, Woodbury, Syosset.

A lot of ppl are actually avoiding the water due to hurricanes and wasting money on flood insurance...I dont blame 'em.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:41 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,353 times
I disagree with comparing towns based on "class". There are some trashy low-class people in the nicest towns and there are some very well-mannered and refined people in the rougher spots.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:13 AM

401 posts, read 551,487 times
You can find multiple $10+ mil homes in Sands Point and Kings Point.

Parts of Hempstead is kind of poor from what I've heard.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:19 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,353 times
Reviving this pretentious old thread... lol

I would group it by tiers instead of class. Money sure as hell doesn't buy class.

Tier 1:
Attributes- Undisputably rich towns with majority multi-million dollar real estate-
Examples- Muttontown, North Hills, Lake Success, Old Westbury, Oyster Bay Cove, Sands Point, Hewlett Harbor, Roslyn Harbor.

Tier 2
Attributes- Also very upscale but still accessible to the "upper middle class":
Examples- Dix Hills, Woodbury, Syosset, Rockville Centre, Jericho, Shoreham, Port Washington, Garden City, Huntington Village, Stony Brook, Centerport.

Tier 3
Attributes- Solid areas considered to be highly desirable by most; may have some upscale pockets but overall still has more of a middle class vibe.
Examples- Babylon Village, Bellmore, Sayville, Massapequa Park, Plainview, East Islip, Oakdale, Long Beach, Hauppauge, North New Hyde Park, Lynbrook.

Tier 4
Attributes- Overall basic/decent middle class areas with average or slightly below average real estate values. School system quality/perception generally ranges from acceptable to slightly-questionable. May or may not have a blue-collar vibe.
Examples- Deer Park, Levittown, Valley Stream, Hicksville, Elmont, Ronkonkoma, Lindenhurst, Coram, Farmingville, Islip Terrace, Port Jeff Station, East Rockaway.

Tier 5
Attributes- Areas widely considered questionable by most other suburbanites. Characterized by lower real estate values, struggling schools, large influxes of unskilled immigrants, and above-average crime compared to nearby areas. May or may not have a nice section or two).
Examples- Brentwood, Wyandanch, Roosevelt, Central Islip, North Bellport, Mastic Beach, Inwood, Hempstead.

(Mixed Tier - Places that have a wide range of real estate values, affluence and socioeconomics. Examples are Bay Shore, Glen Cove, Huntington Station).

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 10-31-2018 at 11:17 AM..

Old 10-31-2018, 05:15 PM

111 posts, read 107,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post

I would group it by tiers instead of class. Money sure as hell doesn't buy class.

Tier 1:
Attributes- Undisputably rich towns with majority multi-million dollar real estate-
Examples- Muttontown, North Hills, Lake Success, Old Westbury, Oyster Bay Cove, Sands Point, Hewlett Harbor, Roslyn Harbor.

Tier 2
Examples- Dix Hills, Woodbury, Syosset, Rockville Centre, Jericho, Shoreham, Port Washington, Garden City, Huntington Village, Stony Brook, Centerport.

Tier 3
Attributes- Solid areas considered to be highly desirable by most; may have some upscale pockets but overall still has more of a middle class vibe.
Examples- Babylon Village, Bellmore, Sayville, Massapequa Park, Plainview, East Islip, Oakdale, Long Beach, Hauppauge, North New Hyde Park, Lynbrook.

Tier 4
Attributes- Overall basic/decent middle class areas with average or slightly below average real estate values. School system quality/perception generally ranges from acceptable to slightly-questionable. May or may not have a blue-collar vibe.
Examples- Deer Park, Levittown, Valley Stream, Hicksville, Elmont, Ronkonkoma, Lindenhurst, Coram, Farmingville, Islip Terrace, Port Jeff Station, East Rockaway.

Tier 5
Attributes- Areas widely considered questionable by most other suburbanites. Characterized by lower real estate values, struggling schools, large influxes of unskilled immigrants, and above-average crime compared to nearby areas. May or may not have a nice section or two).
Examples- Brentwood, Wyandanch, Roosevelt, Central Islip, North Bellport, Mastic Beach, Inwood, Hempstead.

(Mixed Tier - Places that have a wide range of real estate values, affluence and socioeconomics. Examples are Bay Shore, Glen Cove, Huntington Station).

nice rankings!! what tier would you put Farmingdale and Islip hamlet in?

Old 10-31-2018, 06:25 PM

79 posts, read 104,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post

Tier 1:

Tier 2

Tier 3

Tier 4

Tier 5

Move all the Suffolk towns in Tier 2 to Tier 3 and it's lookin good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island