Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 08:54 AM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I definitely agree.

At first, I was thinking about classifying it alongside Dix Hills but there are definitely a lot of avg middle class neighborhoods in Melville. Melville generally ranges from middle-middle class to straight-up rich. Also, I know there was a housing lottery in Melville not that many years ago that increased the amount of working class families. I forgot where exactly that condo/apartment complex was, I think it was north of the LIE somewhere.

I didn't classify Westbury, Amityville Village, Central Islip, West Islip and Bellport Village for similar reasons. They have a lot of income-diversity, but not ALL across the board like Bay Shore, Glen Cove and Huntington Station. When I really think about it, I regret classifying Freeport as well since there are some well-to-do parts of it...
When I first started looking in the HHH district I assumed Dix Hills was the wealthier area by far- but I'm very surprised that almost all of the neighborhoods in DH are upper middle class whereas Melville has some areas that are flat-out rich. I have found the HHH part of Melville to actually be an overall wealthier area than DH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 08:56 AM

325 posts, read 737,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Great point. Although not at all related to my point. See bold print.

It is also certainly true that some residents of CSH may think of Laurel Hollow and Lloyd Harbor as wealthier.

Nevertheless, I agree with Prestigious Reputability on his CSH call. (and respectfully disagree on his Centre Island call)
A very unsound metric - houses on the market represent only a small fraction of the total households in any given place. Additionally, "rich" people don't live in 1-3m houses, working professionals do.

Also, you're wrong. Of the 17 houses currently listed, 7 are priced under 1m.

About half the recent home sales in CSH were under 1m.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:07 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
When I first started looking in the HHH district I assumed Dix Hills was the wealthier area by far- but I'm very surprised that almost all of the neighborhoods in DH are upper middle class whereas Melville has some areas that are flat-out rich. I have found the HHH part of Melville to actually be an overall wealthier area than DH.
The southeast part of Melville, as well as NW Melville; looks identical to the neighboring part of Dix Hills (upper middle class to rich)

However, most of Melville located north of the northern state pkwy (a huge chunk of town) are your average-joe middle class areas. Also, there are ALOT of luxury condo's/townhouses aimed at the young professional crowd all throughout Melville. Dix Hills doesn't have many of those.

So to sum it up, Dix Hills is very consistently upper middle class to rich (except for SOME parts of southern Dix Hills that lean more towards middle-middle class). Depending on where you are in Melville, you can be in a filthy rich neighborhood, an average joe neighborhood, a condo complex aimed at young professional families or even an affordable housing apartment complex aimed at working class families.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 02-02-2014 at 09:16 AM..

Old 02-02-2014, 09:28 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter

I would keep CSH lumped in with the rich grouping - essentially all homes on the market now are 1M with many much much higher (this is not to say every single person is rich, nor that CSH was this affluent 20-30 years ago, nor to say an occasional 800K fixer-upper (!) does not occasionally hit the market.)

It is also certainly true that some residents of CSH may think of Laurel Hollow and Lloyd Harbor as wealthier.

Nevertheless, I agree with Prestigious Reputability on his CSH call. (and respectfully disagree on his Centre Island call)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
A very unsound metric - houses on the market represent only a small fraction of the total households in any given place. Additionally, "rich" people don't live in 1-3m houses, working professionals do.

Also, you're wrong. Of the 17 houses currently listed, 7 are priced under 1m.

About half the recent home sales in CSH were under 1m.
It is certainly correct that you found 7 of 17 CSH homes actually below 1M...it turns out 1 of these 7 is at 975K and another 1 of these 7 is at 995K and another 1 of these 7 is at 999K. That is precisely what is meant by the word essentially. Good link.

As to the recent home sales, every single one was over 925K and 4 were over 2M. Another good link.

Gotta agree with Prestigious Reputability more now that I see your stats. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
The southeast part of Melville, as well as NW Melville; looks identical to the neighboring part of Dix Hills (upper middle class to rich)

However, most of Melville located north of the northern state pkwy (a huge chunk of town) are your average-joe middle class areas. Also, there are ALOT of luxury condo's/townhouses aimed at the young professional crowd all throughout Melville. Dix Hills doesn't have many of those.

So to sum it up, Dix Hills is very consistently upper middle class to rich (except for SOME parts of southern Dix Hills that lean more towards middle-middle class). Depending on where you are in Melville, you can be in a filthy rich neighborhood, an average joe neighborhood, a condo complex aimed at young professional families or even an affordable housing apartment complex aimed at working class families.
You summed it up perfectly. To confuse matters many people I know *insist* that some of the southeast parts of Melville (ie the Wilmington area) are actually Dix Hills even though they have a Melville address. Anyway, I think your list of towns is mostly spot on!! This has become a very interesting thread.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
The Forbes' #82 James Simons of East Setauket is the highest LIer and the only one in the top 100 out of 442 in the U.S. So, not only does LI only have 7 billionaires...they're the "poorer" billionaires.
That's the horror I alluded to. We have "poorer" billionaires. lol
Mr. Simons has a 11733 zip which covers a very large and economically diverse area, but lives in the Inc. Village of Old Field.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:41 AM

I suppose as a part of this thread it should be defined what's considered rich...to me rich=being able to support at least an upper-middle class lifestyle without being dependent on income. I'm sure different people have different definitions...

Old 02-02-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post

I would keep CSH lumped in with the rich grouping - essentially all homes on the market now are 1M with many much much higher (this is not to say every single person is rich, nor that CSH was this affluent 20-30 years ago, nor to say an occasional 800K fixer-upper (!) does not occasionally hit the market.)

It is certainly correct that you found 7 of 17 CSH homes actually below 1M...it turns out 1 of these 7 is at 975K and another 1 of these 7 is at 995K and another 1 of these 7 is at 999K. That is precisely what is meant by the word essentially. Good link.

As to the recent home sales, every single one was over 925K and 4 were over 2M. Another good link.

Gotta agree with Prestigious Reputability more now that I see your stats. Thanks.
Maybe i've confused Centre Island with some place. Sorry about that

Old 02-02-2014, 09:52 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
I definitely agree.

At first, I was thinking about classifying it alongside Dix Hills but there are definitely a lot of avg middle class neighborhoods in Melville. Melville generally ranges from middle-middle class to straight-up rich. Also, I know there was a housing lottery in Melville not that many years ago that increased the amount of working class families. I forgot where exactly that condo/apartment complex was, I think it was north of the LIE somewhere.

I didn't classify Westbury, Amityville Village, Central Islip, West Islip and Bellport Village for similar reasons. They have a lot of income-diversity, but not ALL across the board like Bay Shore, Glen Cove and Huntington Station. When I really think about it, I regret classifying Freeport as well since there are some well-to-do parts of it...
The affluent section of Bellport (example only) is in the Incorporated Village of Bellport. By using the complete title, you would eliminate confusion.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I suppose as a part of this thread it should be defined what's considered rich...to me rich=being able to support at least an upper-middle class lifestyle without being dependent on income. I'm sure different people have different definitions...
I agree, the OP didn't specify what they consider to be rich/poor/wealthy, etc.

Technically, wealth is defined as "assets - liabilities".

But for a thread like this, she/he probably isn't looking for anything technical.

Now, the following is a HORRIBLE way of determining wealth but my responses were based on a combo of neighborhood appearance and median incomes.

The reality is that there is zero/very little data available on the wealth of homeowners so all you can do is make educated guesses, assume or recount personal experiences with individuals of that area (but that may not paint the whole picture of residents of the entire community).

And yes, I know not *all* wealthy people seek out the towns at the top of the list. You'd be surprised about how many wealthy ppl may actually live in Roosevelt or Brentwood; and just live low-key lifestyles. I personally know of an older rich couple in North Amityville and they like to live a modest lifestyle close to family. They also like to travel a lot and do the things that they wanna do in life w/o having much expenses.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 02-02-2014 at 10:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island