Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 10:49 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopsmith View Post
The poor people are mostly in the sufolk county and the richest are in the nassaw county. In sufolk there are richest places like huntington and cold spring which is really rich and in nassaw there are poor places like hempstead. Theres in the middle [places like hicksville and other places like syosset too. Theres east in sofolk wich can mosty me farm people and then also into alsmost the city which is queens.

All I can say is, I'd avoid whatever school district this poster attended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 11:04 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
All I can say is, I'd avoid whatever school district this poster attended.
Poster attended Special Ed - maybe s/he deserves a break

Old 06-21-2014, 03:49 PM

159 posts, read 279,619 times
Just remember that money doesnt always equal class.

There are tons of places (especially on the south shore) that seem middle class on paper and technically are middle-income but they're really filled with obnoxious&ill-mannered trash (of all ages) as well as the Jersey Shore types and have ZERO remnants of class whatsoever.

I see a high prevalence if this in places like Deer Park, Valley Stream and Massapequa; though by no means am I saying this represents all of their residents.

Last edited by JoyfulHope; 06-21-2014 at 05:16 PM..

Old 06-22-2014, 03:31 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post

There are tons of places (especially on the south shore) that seem middle class on paper and technically are middle-income but they're really filled with obnoxious&ill-mannered trash (of all ages) as well as the Jersey Shore types and have ZERO remnants of class whatsoever.

I see a high prevalence if this in places like Deer Park, Valley Stream and Massapequa; though by no means am I saying this represents all of their residents.
Where did you wind up moving?

Old 06-22-2014, 04:00 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Yes, I agree, his/her list is mostly accurate. His 2nd list is better since it was more specific. The only things that should be noted is that:

Hempstead Village isn't all low-income, there is Cathedral Gardens which is rich like Garden City; Hempstead's a pretty big city.. And Port Washington has some low-class spots (usually where "the help" lives) though of course it's mostly affluent.

I know he said "generally-speaking" but just thought i'd throw that in.

I don't know where you come up with the idea that Cathedral Gardens is rich like Garden City. Firstly they go to the Hempstead Schools which is quite poor. Cathedral Gardens is a small area in Hempstead just like Bellerose Village in the Floral Park area. Neither are "rich" like Garden City. People in both Cathedral Gardens and Bellerose Village would love to live in Garden City. I for one, when I owned in Bellerose Village wanted to trade up to Garden City, but thought better of it and bought in Stony Brook where actually the taxes made me move. Cathedral Gardens is a solidly middle class neighborhood period.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:11 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I don't know where you come up with the idea that Cathedral Gardens is rich like Garden City. Firstly they go to the Hempstead Schools which is quite poor. Cathedral Gardens is a small area in Hempstead just like Bellerose Village in the Floral Park area. Neither are "rich" like Garden City. People in both Cathedral Gardens and Bellerose Village would love to live in Garden City. I for one, when I owned in Bellerose Village wanted to trade up to Garden City, but thought better of it and bought in Stony Brook where actually the taxes made me move. Cathedral Gardens is a solidly middle class neighborhood period.
It looks very similar to Garden City. It's very clear that it's an upscale area since "solidly middle class" people don't live in massive homes on large estates, which comprises much of the housing stock in this neighborhood.

Plus, there's plenty of upscale places in poor school districts....such as a large chunk of Old Westbury, Amity Harbor, Bellport Village, etc, etc. Though I agree that school district is usually the primary determinate of desirability in suburbs, that doesn't mean that an area in a bad school district can't be upscale.

Nobody can provide data to prove it's upscale or not since the census tract of Cathedral Gardens is mixed in with the Terrace Ave area, which is one of the poorest area of LI. But anybody with common-sense knows that there's definitely some $$$ in the area; this is obvious.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:05 PM

167 posts, read 305,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post

Money definitely doesn't equal class. I've never seen a more poorly behaved, obnoxious group iof children until I attended a party in Syosset.
Every neighborhood has it's crap no matter where you go.

Old 06-22-2014, 06:31 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
It looks very similar to Garden City. It's very clear that it's an upscale area since "solidly middle class" people don't live in massive homes on large estates, which comprises much of the housing stock in this neighborhood.

Plus, there's plenty of upscale places in poor school districts....such as a large chunk of Old Westbury, Amity Harbor, Bellport Village, etc, etc. Though I agree that school district is usually the primary determinate of desirability in suburbs, that doesn't mean that an area in a bad school district can't be upscale.

Nobody can provide data to prove it's upscale or not since the census tract of Cathedral Gardens is mixed in with the Terrace Ave area, which is one of the poorest area of LI. But anybody with common-sense knows that there's definitely some $$$ in the area; this is obvious.

I actually made a mistake. Bellerose Village and Cathedral Gardens are not a like. Bellerose Village is bordered by Bellerose Terrace and Floral Park, both middle class. The High School is Floral Park Memorial which is safe and a little above average. Although Cathedral Gardens borders Garden City, it also borders Terrace Ave, which is one of the most dangerous areas in Hempstead, let alone Long island. I was a Private Eye for 20 years and had many an investigation around Terrace Ave and no one should ever be there not carrying. Bellerose Village has a quaint L.I.R.R. station and Cathedral Gardens has to use Hempstead station. Actually before I bought my home in B.V. I also looked into Cathedral Gardens. I did a thorough search and after weighing the pros and cons, Bellerose Village won hands down.
I am quite familiar with both areas since I grew up in Elmont in the 70's. I had friends from Cathedral Gardens and they were no better off than my family. In thirty to forty years, I don't think Cathedral Gardens would go from middle class to "Rich". Sorry Cathedral Gardens is not wealthy.

Old 06-23-2014, 05:57 AM

480 posts, read 669,206 times
Default Why does Shirley get a bad reputation?

Thanks for the list.

Last edited by LIQUEST; 06-23-2014 at 06:31 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 07:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Sands Point, Laurel Hollow and Cold Spring Harbor are not even on the list. There are three of the richest towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island