Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 118,352 times

Advertisements

I'm from Upstate and have been curious about NYC and Long Island. I know about Manhattan but what is Long Island like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 01:23 PM

31 posts, read 152,053 times
The poor people are mostly in the sufolk county and the richest are in the nassaw county. In sufolk there are richest places like huntington and cold spring which is really rich and in nassaw there are poor places like hempstead. Theres in the middle [places like hicksville and other places like syosset too. Theres east in sofolk wich can mosty me farm people and then also into alsmost the city which is queens.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:35 PM

530 posts, read 1,351,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopsmith View Post
The poor people are mostly in the sufolk county and the richest are in the nassaw county. In sufolk there are richest places like huntington and cold spring which is really rich and in nassaw there are poor places like hempstead. Theres in the middle [places like hicksville and other places like syosset too. Theres east in sofolk wich can mosty me farm people and then also into alsmost the city which is queens.
Suffolk County isn't that much poorer than Nassau County at all. The poverty rates of Nassau County and Suffolk County are almost identical.

The main difference between Nassau and Suffolk is that Nassau County has more ultra-wealthy people than Suffolk County which distorts things. I would say that Suffolk&Nassau have just as much middle class people as each other. After you adjust for cost-of-living, Suffolk probably comes out with the better quality of life since Suffolk is a bit less expensive than Nassau.

Suffolk County poverty rate: 6.1%
Nassau County poverty rate: 5.8%
New York State poverty rate: 14.9%

Suffolk County median household income: $87,778
Nassau County median household income: $97,049
New York State median household income: $57,683

Source: Nassau County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Source: Suffolk County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 01-31-2014, 01:38 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,070,792 times
Quote:
Wow! That was one of the most poorly written paragraphs I've seen on here in a while.

As for the question:

There are poor and rich areas spread throughout the island. It seems that most of the real "rich" locations are along the north shore of the island, with a good portion of the poor sections spread through the middle of the island, and then some more middle-class to rich along the south shore. Which makes sense going back in time. If you had money you were going to want to be near the water, not in the middle of the island.

Old 01-31-2014, 01:47 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,307,965 times
Quote:
This is awesome !!!

Old 01-31-2014, 01:57 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,553,813 times
7 LIers among Forbes list of billionaires; Buffett, Zuckerberg slide in rankings - Newsday
We only have 7 billionaires on LI. Oh, the horror!

Old 01-31-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegWash View Post
I'm from Upstate and have been curious about NYC and Long Island. I know about Manhattan but what is Long Island like?
I would break it down like this. Of course this is generally-speaking since some nice towns have crappy parts and some rough towns have nice parts. These are some good examples:

Rich towns:
- Old Westbury
- Lloyd Harbor
- Brookville
- Kings Point
- Southampton
- Hewletts
- Nissequogue
- Muttontown
- Woodsburgh
- Lattingtown
- Oyster Bay Cove
- Amagansett
- Sands Point

Upper Middle Class to Rich towns:
- Rockville Centre
- Port Washington
- Garden City
- Dix Hills
- Miller Place
- Fort Salonga
- North Hills
- Brightwaters
- Syosset
- Woodbury
- Manhasset/Manhasset Hills
- Huntington Bay
- Stony Brook
- Jericho

Middle-Middle Class to Upper Middle Class towns:
- Commack
- Babylon Village
- Oakdale
- Islip Village
- Bellmore-Merrick-Seaford
- Massapequas-Wantagh
- Smithtown
- Plainview
- Greenlawn
- Baldwin Harbor
- South Huntington
- East Islip
- Wheatley Heights
- Lake Grove
- Oceanside
- Huntington Village

Lower Middle Class to Middle-Middle Class towns:
- Levittown
- Franklin Square
- Ronkonkoma
- Mineola
- North Babylon
- Lindenhurst
- Valley Stream
- Long Beach
- Deer Park
- Carle Place
- Hicksville
- Elmont
- Rocky Point
- Centereach
- Lynbrook
- Floral Park
- West Babylon
- East Meadow
- Hampton Bays
- Farmingdale
- Salisbury
- East Rockaway

Working Class to Lower Middle Class towns:
- East Patchogue
- Uniondale
- Copiague
- Island Park
- Mastic
- North Amityville
- Manorhaven
- Freeport

Poor to Working Class towns:
- New Cassel
- Mastic Beach
- Roosevelt
- Brentwood
- North Bay Shore
- Riverhead
- Wyandanch
- N.Bellport
- Hempstead Village

* There are no straight-up poor towns since even the poorest LI towns don't surpass a poverty rate of 20%.
* Bay Shore, Glen Cove and Huntington Station are among the few places on LI that have all classes represented en mass

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 01-31-2014 at 03:32 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 02:12 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,511,209 times
Prestige... where would you fit Great Neck, Manhasset, Roslyn, Albertson, E. Williston, and Rosyln Heights in your hierarchy list? Just curious.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Prestige... where would you fit Great Neck, Manhasset, Roslyn, Albertson, E. Williston, and Rosyln Heights in your hierarchy list? Just curious.
The only one of those that i'm familiar with is Manhasset. I would put it in the second highest category.

BTW: I don't think of it as a "hierarchy" b/c money itself doesn't determine how good a community is.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:21 PM

791 posts, read 1,613,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Not the original list poster, but I'd say Great Neck, Manhasset, and E. Williston span upper-middle to rich and rich, depending on the section/house. The rest on that list I'd place in the upper-middle to rich category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island