Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 10:49 AM

4 posts, read 13,713 times

Advertisements

Would like to have an separate entrance installed in my basement as well as having the typical basement windows enlarged.Anyone have any idea the cost of labor/precast stairs as well as the cost and difficulty in obtaining C of O for such work? I'm also wondering if I'm opening a can of worms as I have a recently installed bathroom in the basement as well as an above ground pool and patio all of which I never got permits for. I feel it's gonna cost me more trouble and $$$ than its worth if I actually do this the proper way. Obviously I've never done this with permits so any guidance. I'm thinking of doing this for my daughter who is getting ready to go to college this fall as an alternative to living on campus so my time is kind of limited. Btw, I'm in Brookhaven township in Suffolk. Or as some have said crookhaven township...lol...Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 02:55 PM

43 posts, read 156,978 times
It's pretty easy to get c of o. you go to your town's building department and get an application. For town of babylon you have to draw out the measurements of the staircase and they give you a sample of how it should be. You take it back with the application filled out, pay the fee and they'll mail you a permit (or you pick up..can't remember.) Once you receive the permit you can make the new basement entrance and then they send out an inspector to approve it.

You can use some well known construction companies to do the work but they'll charge you an arm and a leg. You'd be better off finding a carpenter or a tradesmen with those skills.

A friend of mine did our basement entrance last year for 3 grand but of course that's friend price. I was quoted 15k average from different well known companies.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 13,713 times
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I actually do know of a few people i would probably get a decent price for doing the work but my main concern is when that inspector arrives am i gonna be hit with violations with other work done because i know certain work is not up to code. And im wondering if my property taxes will be affected as this will appear to be an extra income apartment even though it will not be used as such.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridacalling View Post
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I actually do know of a few people i would probably get a decent price for doing the work but my main concern is when that inspector arrives am i gonna be hit with violations with other work done because i know certain work is not up to code. And im wondering if my property taxes will be affected as this will appear to be an extra income apartment even though it will not be used as such.

Once the inspector is in your house/basement it'll be difficult to prevent him from seeing what's there. Chances are the inspector will pick up on "unauthorized" items. Not everything that requires a permit increases taxes (such as an above ground pool).

Old 02-07-2014, 10:45 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
You're going to have to open a permit. Licenses, Permits & Applications

Once you have the permit, you will move forward and start the work, have the inspections are done at each successive stage, and when the work is completed, you get your final inspection and then go for your CO.

You're going to want to make sure you have someone who knows how to properly header the door and windows so that you don't compromise the structure when you cut into the foundation.

As Elke wrote, once the inspector is in your home, he is going to see everything else that isn't compliant.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:59 AM

2 posts, read 8,221 times
Hi,

I have a question about converting down stairs in a high ranch to an apartment. Will this drive my taxes in end it is not worth the pain. Also how difficult or easy to get permits in Town of Babylon for this type of conversion. Any recommendation for an Expeditor who is experienced with Town o Babylon.

thanks in advance

Old 03-07-2014, 11:59 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,382 times
The town of huntington will ********* to the wall for any no permit work see fios CH 38 for what happens at the zoning board
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island