Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 12:33 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
^ I have to cross a 4-lane road (2 lanes each way) that has crosswalks and red lights. I wouldn't send my kids there alone, but any capable adult (not elderly walking 2mph) can do it.

I think suburbanites would be less intimidated by them if they drove a little less. It is no more dangerous than a street in Manhattan with multiple cars waiting impatiently right at your knees.

If people are complaining they have to drive to get milk instead of being able to walk there because of such safety concerns, it is not the fault of location planning or the suburban model.
Manhattan is a different animal in that you have lots of taxis and commercial vehicles who blatantly flout traffic rules or push to the limit. If those vehicles followed the rules certain neighborhoods in the UES/Yorkville and Gramercy would be safe enough for tweens and elderly to cross alone. West Side avenues and specifically Broadway would still be dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 12:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
This response and attitude is uncalled for. There is no rule that C-D posters can't post their opinions about areas they lived in, and its not like NJ is 3,000 miles away from LI. Its no wonder that LIers get a bad reputation for thinking in such a provincial manner with perspectives like this.
And your response is not? Pot, kettle. You've never given a snarky response ever.

Perhaps his opinion could have a positive impact in your neck of the woods. Given the general post-Sandy issues, what he proposes might help. Seriously. Areas more heavily impacted by Sandy might be prime for a transit-oriented, high-density, walkable development.

When folks come making suggestions for LI in general, it would serve them well to specify where they feel it would have a positive impact. Perhaps they don't realize that those of us who moved out here did so to escape density, that not all of us have to commute to work in NYC, and don't understand that infrastructure was in place prior to significant migration to the suburbs.

One doesn't bring in more density without addressing current issues -- lack of sewers, water runoff diminishing water quality in the harbors and bays, lack of utility choice and aging grid, increasing flood/water table issues, to name a few, increased demand on fire and police, schools, roadways. The community might be walkable, but are they really going to limit themselves to that?

Old 02-09-2014, 05:47 PM

202 posts, read 265,143 times
LI, especially Nassau County, has got to be the most dense suburbia in the country. Other than living costs, I thought people were leaving LI because they wanted more open space and bigger backyards.

Either way, I don't see any appeal into building LI denser (if it's even possible) with the high amount of traffic and congestion that already exists. I also don't think you're going to attract young working professionals by making denser. Young working professionals today want to live in actual cities, not suburbias like LI, Westchester, North NJ (exception of Hoboken), Southern Connecticut, Broward County, FL, or Fairfax, VA for for that matter.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:42 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Long Island, when you include Brooklyn and Queens, is slightly larger then the State of Rhode Island. But we have more then 7 times the population of Rhode Island - which is the 2nd densest state in the Union! Even just the suburban counties of Nassau and Suffolk Counties have almost three times the population of Rhode Island.

Long Island has just 4 counties out of New York State's 62 counties yet those 4 counties account for almost 40% of the State's population. And those 4 counties are among the vulnerable to major hurricanes. New York State should be encouraging people to move Upstate, not move to a crowded and vulnerable Island that is impossible to evacuate in an emergency.

Long Island already does far more then its fair share of housing the nation's population.

Long Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rhode Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1938 New England hurricane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (1938 Hurricane)

Old 02-09-2014, 10:47 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Long Island, when you include Brooklyn and Queens, is slightly larger then the State of Rhode Island. But we have more then 7 times the population of Rhode Island - which is the 2nd densest state in the Union! Even just the suburban counties of Nassau and Suffolk Counties have almost three times the population of Rhode Island.

Long Island has just 4 counties out of New York State's 62 counties yet those 4 counties account for almost 40% of the State's population. And those 4 counties are among the vulnerable to major hurricanes. New York State should be encouraging people to move Upstate, not move to a crowded and vulnerable Island that is impossible to evacuate in an emergency.

Long Island already does far more then its fair share of housing the nation's population.

Long Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rhode Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1938 New England hurricane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (1938 Hurricane)
I think it's a bit disingenuous to include Brooklyn and Queens, though. Two different ballparks.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:05 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
I think it's a bit disingenuous to include Brooklyn and Queens, though. Two different ballparks.
Not at all. Since hundreds of thousands of people travel everyday back and forth every day, especially of course during the summer. And in an emergency, 7 million would all have to get off the Island using just a handful of tunnels and bridges.

Anyway like I said just, Nassau and Suffolk alone have almost three times the population of Rhode Island, which is the 2nd densest state in the Union.

Its insane that the population in such a small area was allowed to get so large. Especially in the most vulnerable part of the State to natural disasters. Terrible public policy.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:13 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Then a few days later we'll get posters complaining about illegal apartments

Yup! And guess who is draining the tax base on those? The homeowners who have those apartments

If you move those people out of the basement apartments and into legal ones, guess what? More tax money. And not more people, just placed into real apartments that are up to code and not a safety hazard. I have family who live in illegal apartments, paying stupid amounts of money to homeowners who could give two craps about them.

Transit oriented development is just that. Housing near the railroads and downtowns.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:25 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Its insane that the population in such a small area was allowed to get so large. Especially in the most vulnerable part of the State to natural disasters. Terrible public policy.
And just to add something - Nassau is almost DOUBLE the population density of LA county. I bet with all that traffic there, people thought they were worse off.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:36 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
And just to add something - Nassau is almost DOUBLE the population density of LA county. I bet with all that traffic there, people thought they were worse off.
Talk about suburban sprawl, Long Island has nothing on LA. I used to live in LA and New York traffic does not compare to it either. I've been in some of the worst traffic jams in LA. One of the exits on the 405, the merger to the 101, was cut off by a fallen crane once. 3 1/2 hours to go 7 miles!

And in general, everywhere in LA takes 20-30 minutes to get to.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:00 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Quote:
Not at all. Since hundreds of thousands of people travel everyday back and forth every day, especially of course during the summer. And in an emergency, 7 million would all have to get off the Island using just a handful of tunnels and bridges.

Anyway like I said just, Nassau and Suffolk alone have almost three times the population of Rhode Island, which is the 2nd densest state in the Union.

I agree with you regarding emergencies-- if NOLA had that kind of congestion evacuating for Hurricane Katrina, it'd be impossible to evacuate an island with limited crossings.

I'm just saying that when we're talking about suburban density, Queens and Brooklyn should be left out of the discussion, because they'll naturally sway the numbers to make Long Island look more dense than it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island