Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:02 AM

622 posts, read 853,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Yes, really.

I guess you can count yourself lucky and if you're happy with 35% over 10 years, so be it.
My brother lives in a suburb of Denver, which has had one of the fastest growing housing markets in the US last year. His property taxes went down from 2011 to 2012. He went from $4550/yr to $4520. And no, he doesn't live in a Ted Kaczinski hut in the woods. No he did not grieve his taxes. He's lived in this house for about five years, during which his property taxes have stayed within $500 of the original tax bill. And no, I"m not talking about tax assessments, I'm talking about the annual property tax nut.

My point: Denver and the rest of Colorado do not fund schools via property tax receipts. Of course, Denver tried to install a property tax funded school system during the last election in November. It was wildly defeated.

Contrast that to our tax debacle. Pension reform or not, we're being mugged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 08:13 AM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
My brother lives in a suburb of Denver, which has had one of the fastest growing housing markets in the US last year. His property taxes went down from 2011 to 2012. He went from $4550/yr to $4520. And no, he doesn't live in a Ted Kaczinski hut in the woods. No he did not grieve his taxes. He's lived in this house for about five years, during which his property taxes have stayed within $500 of the original tax bill. And no, I"m not talking about tax assessments, I'm talking about the annual property tax nut.

My point: Denver and the rest of Colorado do not fund schools via property tax receipts. Of course, Denver tried to install a property tax funded school system during the last election in November. It was wildly defeated.

Contrast that to our tax debacle. Pension reform or not, we're being mugged.
I just googled...looks like Colorado needs a billion dollars

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/04/us...g-schools.html

Old 02-14-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I just googled...looks like Colorado needs a billion dollars

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/04/us...g-schools.html
Did you read the whole article, though? This was the vote I referred to. It was resoundingly rejected by the voters. It was a vote to use property taxes to fund poorer school districts, so there's parity between wealthier districts and those not so fortunate.

While, yes, there should be better funding for poor school districts, using property taxes to fund the effort is a HUGE mistake, as we LIr's can attest to. If you read further, you'll see how wealthy individuals, including former NYC mayor Bloomberg, as well as Bill and Melinda Gates, are coming to the rescue with their private donations. This is the way you handle this issue, not by borrowing a page from NY's school budgeting manual.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:14 AM

It is not enticing to live in CO for school district...maybe if I wanted to snowboard all day.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
It is not enticing to live in CO for school district...maybe if I wanted to snowboard all day.
Agreed, not my first stop for education. But neither is LI since I can't afford it and statistically, our expensive public education system has not correlated to educational quality.

I'd rather snowboard all day than be on the LIRR for a 3hr snowy commute home

Old 02-14-2014, 11:34 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
So whats holding you here? I would pack up and leave.

Quote:
Agreed, not my first stop for education. But neither is LI since I can't afford it and statistically, our expensive public education system has not correlated to educational quality.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:48 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I think a few have been listening to you and others who share your viewpoint.

This is the proof.
American Migration [Interactive Map] - Forbes

One thing I do not understand from the map is that in most cases the per capita income of people leaving is more than the people coming in, hopefully it was a clerical error on Forbes part.

Edit: Young blood coming in and retired people moving out ?

Old 02-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:

yesterday was business as usual. My LIRR was 50% of capacity....got into work like any other day....less than 55 min door to door. Going home was a dream....somewhat warm walk & not crowded....very civilized.

today was about 75% of capacity than normal. Sun was out but puddles was everywhere. I dress correctly & slosh thru the puddles while everyone else was figuring out to get around the swamp corners.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
yesterday was business as usual. My LIRR was 50% of capacity....got into work like any other day....less than 55 min door to door. Going home was a dream....somewhat warm walk & not crowded....very civilized.

today was about 75% of capacity than normal. Sun was out but puddles was everywhere. I dress correctly & slosh thru the puddles while everyone else was figuring out to get around the swamp corners.
Again, you are one lucky LI'r.

Morning commute was not a huge problem, but I would have left the office around 12:30 PM had it not been for the fact the LIRR had 'temporarily' shut down service on my line. I did leave about an hour earlier than usual and was very lucky I was only about 30 mins late coming through the door.

On the other hand, my evening trains have been about 10 mins every night. On Monday morning's commute, I was about 60 mins late when the train in front of the one I was on became stranded.

So, in all, 2 hours or so of tardiness is not bad for $425/mo in fares.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
But I love LI. I love to complain.

Seriously, I'm rapidly approaching that break-even point where there just won't be enough left over after all of my expenses, all in. I know this topic has been hotly contested on this forum, so I won't get into it again, suffice to say I'm already looking at alternatives.

What's really startling is the number of families I know who are doing the same thing. How many have to leave before what's left of our stagnant real estate market starts to collapse... again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island