Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 09:04 AM

257 posts, read 750,869 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience getting co's and possibly a variance on additions done 30+ years ago? I have a deck, front porch and detached garage that we were told have "open permits" we bought the house about 8 years ago, and never pursued it, but now we're considering selling- and I'm wondering if it will be an issue? And how much time and money will it cost me? All the items are listed on mynassauproperty.com though, so I would think that means the county is aware/taxing me on them right? It's very confusing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 09:41 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladibug1026 View Post
Anyone have any experience getting co's and possibly a variance on additions done 30+ years ago? I have a deck, front porch and detached garage that we were told have "open permits" we bought the house about 8 years ago, and never pursued it, but now we're considering selling- and I'm wondering if it will be an issue? And how much time and money will it cost me? All the items are listed on mynassauproperty.com though, so I would think that means the county is aware/taxing me on them right? It's very confusing...
Anything with an "open permit" is going to be an issue, unless you find an all cash buyer who doesn't care (some do).

Old 02-07-2014, 02:42 PM

257 posts, read 750,869 times
Okay Elke-thanks. Any idea if the cost/how long this will take to do? These additions were already here when we bought, so I don't have anypaperwork on them at all.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:16 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Okay Elke-thanks. Any idea if the cost/how long this will take to do? These additions were already when we bought, so I don't have any paperwork on them at all.
We can't really come up with an estimate without details (I'm not asking LOL). Hopefully whatever was done still conforms to current building code.
If you don't have any way to find out for yourself, maybe consulting an expediter is the way to go; they will tell you what - if anything - needs to be done, and how much they would charge to assist you.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:18 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
I DM'ed you.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,643 times
Can anyone reccomend and building permit expediter in Huntington?

Old 04-20-2015, 07:48 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,608 times
Quote:
We had a similar story.

All in, it's going to cost 6-7K to get permits for work done on my house in 1980. Potentially about 6-8 months, and that's with an expediter. We're the third owners of the house and TOH wouldn't let us be "grandfathered in".

Old 04-20-2015, 08:11 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,994 times
I bought a house in TOH with an open permit for a small deck, and a third bathroom. My inspector said it looked like it was build to code. Renovations were around 9 years old at the time. We put money into escrow to get it and after closing I would deal with it.

Well inspector comes and turns out owner from the 1970s/1980s dormered house without a permit, enclosed a small porch and added a deck off master bedroom all without permits.

What a mess, but in end I got all the permits myself, Turns out work was to code, so just paid for the permit.

I paid back prior owner 90% of money out of escrow. I skipped the expediter as it was one more clog in machine.

Key was to be very nice, go to Buildings dept in person. Dress business casual be polite and try to speak to a boss and explain you did not do the work, you are new buyer and tax payer trying to fix issue. Worked for me. Most folks are yelling

Old 04-20-2015, 08:36 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,537,944 times
My future house is finally closing tomorrow... it was delayed 3 months because of an open tree permit. The seller had to plant 3 small friggin trees in the backyard to close the permit to get a clean title.

Unless your future buyer is paying all cash, most mortgage banks want a perfectly clean title before giving you that mortgage. I think its worth it to take care of all your CO issues BEFORE you put the house on the market

I have been looking for a house for the past 3 years, and I can't even count anymore the numbers of houses I disqualified because of illegal bathrooms, basements, decks, etc that the seller had little motivation to get proper CO for.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:00 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
My future house is finally closing tomorrow... it was delayed 3 months because of an open tree permit. The seller had to plant 3 small friggin trees in the backyard to close the permit to get a clean title.

Unless your future buyer is paying all cash, most mortgage banks want a perfectly clean title before giving you that mortgage. I think its worth it to take care of all your CO issues BEFORE you put the house on the market

I have been looking for a house for the past 3 years, and I can't even count anymore the numbers of houses I disqualified because of illegal bathrooms, basements, decks, etc that the seller had little motivation to get proper CO for.
Paying a few grand to close out permits and then paying 1-2k extra in property taxes because one day when you sell home a buyer getting a mortgage's bank might catch it is not worth it. Also maybe buyer does not want the permits. Maybe it is a cash buyer more interested in a lower price or cheaper taxes.

Also most homes are missing something even homes never expanded. I see tons of three bedroom two bath homes in mint condition that have no permits ever. Everytime they redo a kitchen or bath or Furance which will be plenty on a 100 year old home are they supposed to file fees and permits. It is kinda of crazy.

Nassau is such a mess that after Sandy when there was no permit fees very few homeowners took them up on offer. Once the TOH guy is in your basement he is looking around for other stuff. And even if you do everything to code who knows what prior owner did or what a prior contractor did that requires a permit but told you it does not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island