Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 10:12 AM

863 posts, read 2,103,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasty View Post
Oh snap, having grown up SANS allowance, that NEVER occured to me. That's probably it.

I liked your other comment. The 10 crack commandments from biggie came immediately to mind. You're right that when someone was strung out you knew it. They could smoke crack and be functional but only the brave went to heroin and there was no coming back.

It also does help that these kids have the disposable income to buy this stuff. I was lucky if my allowance allowed me to buy a cheap sandwich and 50c soda from the corner store grown up. We just did not have the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 10:22 AM

260 posts, read 449,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
I liked your other comment. The 10 crack commandments from biggie came immediately to mind. You're right that when someone was strung out you knew it. They could smoke crack and be functional but only the brave went to heroin and there was no coming back.

It also does help that these kids have the disposable income to buy this stuff. I was lucky if my allowance allowed me to buy a cheap sandwich and 50c soda from the corner store grown up. We just did not have the money.
I preferred a 50c soda, 25 cent little debbie and a bag of bravos!

I totally understand your comment about smoking crack and being functional...I saw it. Heroine, however, was something that only the suicidial went near. I updated my post to reference Claude Brown's Manchild in the Promised Land. Seriously, kids need to read this book, parents need to read along with them. Maybe both parties will learn something and save a life.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:36 AM

19,123 posts, read 16,949,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I just don't understand what possesses a kid to try an extremely dangerous life ruining drug like heroin even once. Especially a so called 'middle class' kid. Pot I can understand but heroin? It's crazy.
What would stop them? Parent(s) try and in too many cases these days both (if applicable) are working. Where are the PBA's? Even when there was a campaign the message was lame (just say no) and kids wouldn't listen. Are the schools teaching anything? I remember my daughter coming home and complaining about the DARE program in elementary, she was sick of it and her comment was "at least now I know what to buy". She was kidding but I think it's an accurate reflection of how poorly many programs are.

Kids seem to have an "I am invincible" mentality far worse than years ago and don't see the dangers of their actions. We as parents see the dangers but I am sure many of our decisions/actions horrified our parents just as much. I don't think their is a one size fits all approach all we can do is be vigilant and above all be parents, kids do not need us as one of their friends....

Old 02-10-2014, 01:51 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,894,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I would think suburban kids are more likely to have the money to fund a drug habit.
lol, anybody could fund a drug habit. If your addiction is serious enough then you'll just steal things to support it.

Some will just go out and prostitute, etc.

My grandfather owned several homes out east and addicts broke into the homes and stole the copper pipes/wiring worth thousands of dollars.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:00 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,524,629 times
I don't know why people are worried about this when there were naked adults in some private party at a facility where children may have been before, or after, the party, but not at it. People are up in arms about that one.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:15 PM

4,695 posts, read 8,730,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
lol, anybody could fund a drug habit. If your addiction is serious enough then you'll just steal things to support it.
yes, hard core addicts will resort to almost anything in order to acquire more drugs - but who's more likely to begin and fund a (pricey) heroin habit? The typical poor kid who's parents don't have 2 nickels to rub together or the suburban kid with an allowance, car, iPhone, etc.?

Quote:
My grandfather owned several homes out east and addicts broke into the homes and stole the copper pipes/wiring worth thousands of dollars.
cool story bro

Old 02-10-2014, 03:00 PM

791 posts, read 1,618,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasty View Post
I don't either, but maybe it's because I didn't grow up middle class. In the 'hood, we saw firsthand what strung out looked like. You knew that even the drug dealers themselves had the golden rule "never get high off your own supply". I get the sense that suburban kids feel more invincible, like it can't happen to them? Or do they just not care? Whatever it is, it's VERY sad.
I think part of it is that you don't actually see the end result of addiction when you grow up suburban - the truly strung out end up hidden away in mom and dad's basement if parents are enablers, or tough-loved out of the house (and the neighborhood) completely. So the only users a 15 year old knows are his "cool" "older" friends, who are max 17/18 and aren't that far gone yet. Suburban kids don't see homeless, strung out drug addicts committing crimes for money in their everyday circle, and even when a family has lost a kid to that kind of lifestyle, no one talks about it - well, there will be some head-shaking and tsk-tsking, but no one's having a meaningful conversation about how the addicted kid's life looks.

Also, dealers are focused on making a buck off these kids - they're not imparting pearls of wisdom about "not getting high on your own supply" to a teenager who's driving over to pick up drugs in mom and dad's Camry.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:54 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,626,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
So in your opinion kids are going straight to heroin? I think kids (and adults) are using opioid pills first and then when they get addicted to them and have problems getting them, then are turning to heroin and that is where the current heroin epidemic is coming from.
I have been trying to find the article I read which stated that some kids are starting with heroin and bypassing pot and alcohol completely. When I do find it, I will share. I've read so much in the past few days that it's taking longer to find the story.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:57 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,626,629 times
Heroin extends grip to suburbs - Times Union

Quote:
Reasons for heroin's new popularity are complex, but law enforcement officials say the drug has become cheaper and more available as government efforts have tightened the illicit supply of prescription painkillers. Lyman's experience is typical: Users of opiates such as Oxycontin are turning to heroin.

"To say it's on the rise is an understatement," Colonie Police Chief Steven Heider said.

Heroin is considered one of the most addictive drugs. It's absorbed more rapidly than other opiates, increasing the intensity of the high; continued use can change the brain's chemistry.

Users quickly develop a tolerance that leads them to use more — and often results in overdoses. Heroin's potency can vary widely, but police say today's heroin is more concentrated than the drug that ravaged inner-city neighborhoods in the 1970s and 1980s. Because it's more concentrated, users can snort the drug and get similar effects to injecting it with a needle.

Not only has the drug gotten stronger; it's now cheaper, too. In the Capital Region, a bag containing about a tenth of a gram of heroin costs roughly $10 — half the price of a few years ago.

In short, users are getting much more for their money.

"That's why you're seeing a lot of kids overdosing on this stuff," Albany County Sheriff Craig Apple said.

The drug is mostly purchased in city neighborhoods, said Apple.

But there are dealers in suburban areas, too, where there's ample money and demand for the drug. Dealers target younger buyers: Heroin bags are sometimes stamped with brands and logos that appeal to teens.

Erin Mulvey, Drug Enforcement Administration spokesman, said when "Twilight" novels and movies became popular with teens, the agency "started seeing heroin with 'Twilight' stamped on it."

Old 02-10-2014, 04:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,232,119 times
^^^
The first paragraph is what I've been saying all along:

Quote:
Reasons for heroin's new popularity are complex, but law enforcement officials say the drug has become cheaper and more available as government efforts have tightened the illicit supply of prescription painkillers. Lyman's experience is typical: Users of opiates such as Oxycontin are turning to heroin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island