U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:29 PM

3 posts, read 15,824 times
Default The most exclusive towns in Nassau County??

What kind of people live in these towns (see list below) in Long Island? What do they do for a living? Is it all old money? Do you know any of them? Are they down to earth? They seem like fairytale places to live! Just curious...I have driven through some of them and seen them on the Internet and wow!

Sands Point, Kings Point, Matinecock, Muttontown, Old Westbury, Cove Neck, Brookville, Old Brookville, Upper Brookville, Mill Neck, Lattingtown, Centre Island, Oyster Bay Cove
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 08:55 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,154,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD2007 View Post
What kind of people live in these towns: Sands Point, Kings Point, Matinecock, Muttontown, Old Westbury, Cove Neck, Brookville, Old Brookville, Upper Brookville, Mill Neck, Lattingtown, Centre Island, Oyster Bay Cove
None of the above are towns.

Sands Point and Kings Point are villages in the Town of North Hempstead.

Matinecock, Muttontown, Cove Neck, Brookville, Old Brookville, Upper Brookville, Mill Neck, Lattingtown, Centre Island and Oyster Bay Cove are villages in the Town of Oyster Bay.

Old Westbury is a village partly in the Town of North Hempstead and partly in the Town of Oyster Bay.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:13 PM

13,689 posts, read 15,342,853 times
Quote:
What kind of people live in these towns (see list below) in Long Island? What do they do for a living? Is it all old money? Do you know any of them? Are they down to earth? They seem like fairytale places to live! Just curious...I have driven through some of them and seen them on the Internet and wow!

Sands Point, Kings Point, Matinecock, Muttontown, Old Westbury, Cove Neck, Brookville, Old Brookville, Upper Brookville, Mill Neck, Lattingtown, Centre Island, Oyster Bay Cove
What kind of people live there? Rich ones!

I've stayed in a mansion in Mill Neck (near Beaver Lake and down the street from the School for the Deaf)when I was a HS student. I was simply amazed by how the 'other half' lived. Believe me, it was really tough heading back to my parent's little tract house on the south shore after having stayed in Mill Neck!

Some of it is old money, some newer.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,704,864 times
Quote:

Alot of old money still, but as more and more estates are broken up, it's more and more new money. You've got a lot of Wall St. guys, also CEOs of companies, surgeons and other drs, lawyers, athletes, you know they typical mix of money.

Why do you ask?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:00 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,460,086 times
Have friends in Old Westbury. Very wealthy. Very nice, down to earth people. He is a self-made millionaire.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:10 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,086,331 times
I grew up in Roslyn Harbor which does not quite make the list, I don't think.

Old 12-06-2007, 02:50 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,005,450 times
The people in the areas are typically Wall Street types or Business Executives. Also a lot of business owners live in the areas. I live in one of the areas and most of my neighbors work in Manhattan.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:03 PM

54 posts, read 151,734 times
I know a family that lives in Muttontown, they just moved there a few years ago from Baldwin. He is a lawyer and she is at home. They seemed nice when they lived in Baldwin but once they got up to the north shore-well- shall we say now they think they walk on water!

Old 01-07-2008, 08:14 PM

706 posts, read 2,423,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Have friends in Old Westbury. Very wealthy. Very nice, down to earth people. He is a self-made millionaire.
Love Old Westbury!

New money

I have friends - a doctor, a superintendent, one entertainer.

Been to a few great parties there and met other folks who live there.

I agree very nice down to earth people.

Old 01-07-2008, 09:14 PM

9,343 posts, read 16,154,764 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Muttontown

For those who may not be familiar with Muttontown:

Muttontown is a village (incorporated in 1931) in the central part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the northeast part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Muttontown in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Village of Upper Brookville and the Hamlet of East Norwich; on the east by the Hamlet of Syosset; on the south by the Hamlet of Jericho; and, on the west by the Village of Brookville and the Village of Upper Brookville.

Muttontown is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name in their mailing address: places in the Village of Muttontown have a "Syosset, NY 11791", "Jericho, NY 11753", "Glen Head, NY 11545", "East Norwich, NY 11732" and "Oyster Bay, NY 11771" mailing address.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a4/Muttontown-ny-map.gif (broken link)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island