Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 04:24 PM

480 posts, read 669,095 times

Advertisements

My initial idea and thought process was to take the train from out east and work in the city at a place like NBC. But then I realized that it would be basically me living to work. And personally I don't want to live to work. The only way I could feasibly see me out in Suffolk is if we both had jobs out there. So I'm trying to find out what type of career I could have out there. Either in Riverhead or in Yaphank or in Brentwood or Huntington or Hauppague etc. Right now I have about six months of working with people with developmental disabilities under my belt. I like it but I would not mind working my way up in a field like this but the pay currently isn't that great. 11.75 an hour. I am blessed to pay a little bit of rent while saving up. I don't think many people are in the position that I am. This is why I'm trying to save up as much as I can and get a better job for the next two years and then finally get my forever job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 04:31 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
And you're definitely right about location being very important I completely agree. I am adaptable and I don't mind working a warehouse job or in the mental health field working with people with disabilities which is actually what I do now as well. I don't mind computer work. I just need to find options for the Suffolk County area in case she gets a job in let's say Brentwood etc.
Honestly? I think you need to figure out your career first and focus on that. You're not buying for another 2 years and a lot could happen in that time. Get your career on the right track & the other pieces will fall into place. Commuting to a job out in Suffolk is no big deal from a town on the border of Nassau/Suffolk and you'll still be within commuting distance from NYC. Like I said, focus on career first, but if you want to start thinking about where to settle, then I would suggest focusing on towns along the Nassau/Suffolk border so you have maximum flexibility with job options.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:49 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
There are literally no places here in Nassau that can compare to the beautiful three-story townhomes out east. I come from no money but we are going to have a lot of help with the down payment. I personally have very little money saved up but I am currently working and looking to step my job up so that I can make more money than I make now. By the time I get married in fall 2016 I should have about $75,000 in my savings. THAT is if I get a higher paying job than I have now.

Where are you getting a 3 story town home for $200K??

Old 03-07-2014, 05:34 PM

Two story townhome with a finished basement. Sorry lol

Old 03-08-2014, 10:30 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,148 times
Quote:
Two story townhome with a finished basement. Sorry lol

Even a 2 story townhome... I was looking into the "condos" in North Babylon on Deer Park Ave and they were $280K and above --- and North Babylon isn't a "great" area. It's good but not great. Also, the condos are on a main street, so the price should be lower but it isn't.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:34 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
My initial idea and thought process was to take the train from out east and work in the city at a place like NBC. But then I realized that it would be basically me living to work. And personally I don't want to live to work. The only way I could feasibly see me out in Suffolk is if we both had jobs out there. So I'm trying to find out what type of career I could have out there. Either in Riverhead or in Yaphank or in Brentwood or Huntington or Hauppague etc. Right now I have about six months of working with people with developmental disabilities under my belt. I like it but I would not mind working my way up in a field like this but the pay currently isn't that great. 11.75 an hour. I am blessed to pay a little bit of rent while saving up. I don't think many people are in the position that I am. This is why I'm trying to save up as much as I can and get a better job for the next two years and then finally get my forever job.
I hate to break it to you, but there is no such thing as a "forever job" these days. Especially in film and TV! Shows, films and TV commercials are starting and ending constantly. I know one of the old Grumman plants has been made into a TV studio. I guess you've looked into that one? Working with the developmentally disabled is a better bet in terms of more jobs available, but, yes, the pay is not that great unless you get a civil service job with regular mandated raises which would also include better benefits for your family. So take civil service tests for things you would qualify for when you see them announced.

Secondly, be very careful when buying a condo or coop. Be sure to have an attorney and accountant who is experienced in these types of developments look into the financial health of the building and its management before you buy so you are not stuck in a bad situation. Also, do you really want to buy something where on top of the mortgage, you have to pay an additional, usually large, monthly fee? Note that this fee will ALWAYS GO UP, NOT DOWN. Some may say "but part of the fee is tax deductible!" So? The more it is tax deductible means the more the development itself is in debt, which means the less the development is financially healthy. Also note that when it comes time to sell, it is always much harder to sell these units that a house. Why? Because of the big monthly fee on top of the mortgage and because it is not a unique item. You will be in competition with your neighbors who are looking to sell the exact same thing. And guess what is the only thing you can compete on? Price! As in which unit owner will sell for the lowest price. Too many times people end up selling condos/coops for less than they paid for them just to get rid of them. How often does that happen with houses? Around here, rarely compared to that.

You can find houses in Suffolk in decent areas/SDs for the low $200s, but they may not be perfect. If it were me, I would rather do that than get stuck in a condo or coop. JMO.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:29 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
And personally I don't want to live to work.
Wait till you have kids.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:07 AM

638 posts, read 1,281,995 times
I am sure you already researched this, but have you checked out Channel 12/News 12?? No good??

Old 03-09-2014, 09:15 AM

I worked for Cablevision but it was only temp work. They seemed to have been cutting down and when I talk to someone about working for them it wasn't full time. Cameramen work when I asked them a year ago was per diem.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:14 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,687,771 times
I would not buy anything until l had secure employment first so commute till you have that.JMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island