Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:49 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
LOL,

I'll put it this way....my twins sons which are extremely competitive both recently took part time jobs. One works at Papa's the other Little Caesars. Due to their ages they are prep/help out/ counter/phones guys. Recently they been working towards and practicing making the pizza for the up coming summer break from school. They're so happy that they are starting to make that pizza you guys find " almost as good"or "not as bad" because up to two weeks ago they couldn't boil water or make a peanut butter sandwich Yes they think they can make a legit pizza now I told them I'll disown them if they bought that crap into my house!
Again, you took my posts out of context. Please stop.

I never said it's almost as good as "real" pizza. I'm just saying that some posters here make it seem like the pizza is barely edible, and I disagree. Somebody else on this thread (or maybe it was another thread) said they took one bite and threw the entire pizza out-- I've never had chain pizza that was that atrocious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 01:56 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,231,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post

I never said it's almost as good as "real" pizza. I'm just saying that some posters here make it seem like the pizza is barely edible, and I disagree. Somebody else on this thread (or maybe it was another thread) said they took one bite and threw the entire pizza out-- I've never had chain pizza that was that atrocious.
Go the Pizza Hut on Hillside in Bellerose/New Hyde Park. We ordered a large pie. My husband, daughter and I took one slice and left the rest. It was horrible. Maybe it was that particular restaurant but another Pizza Hut we went to was not nearly as good as it was 20 years ago.

Old 03-20-2014, 02:17 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,839 times
Quote:

Yes that would be me! To me it's beyond atrocious but I guess it's also what you grow up with/on

Down here the chains rock but most grow up down here and don't know any better. Case in point....friends of mine were visiting Brooklyn and ask me what I would suggest a pizzeria in Brooklyn. I suggested they try L&B Spumoni Gardens and they all hated it...they preferred little Caesars pizza pizza! Are you freaking kidding me I guess you prefer what your use to sometimes

It's all good, we could agree to disagree.. Moving really made me appreciated good NY pizza that much more...and those chains with never ever ever ever change my mind or tatsebuds

Old 03-20-2014, 02:21 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,018 times
Just cook up some Elios!

Old 03-20-2014, 03:12 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
$22? Wow! Didn't realize it was so expensive as we normally get a regular pie. At the local pizzeria it's $14. A Papa Johns is about 8 or so. Add a 2 dollar delivery charge and 1 or 2 dollars for a tip and it's almost the same. I guess if you like a lot of toppings than it makes a big difference.
Meat lover pizza at a locally popular place Del Fiore is $25.
Large 3 topping at Domino's up the street, $7.99.

Granted, Del Fiore also run an italian pork store, so their meats are fantastic.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:54 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,723,694 times
Guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:57 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
Trader Joe's pizza is the best frozen. Confirmed by Consumer Reports. And me.

Hell I could live with their frozen section alone.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:59 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
Quote:

I agree with you. There is a time and place for each. When I want a real pie, I go to Colisseo's in PJS and get a large pie with meatball and drop about $18. When Papa John's or Domino's has a killer deal, I pick one up from there. It's kind of like when you occasionally bring home McDonalds for the family. It's usually a mid week type deal and we're just trying to save a few bucks and my wife and I are too wiped out to cook. Once in a while it serves its purpose.
As far as authentic italians go, I was surrounded by them when I grew up in Queens before my family moved out to the island and not one of them has better taste buds than me. Over the years a lot of my friends thought I was kidding but I stood up to the challenge. The fact is, there is real pizza, and there is fast food pizza. None are going to make most people puke. People just get a little melodramatic.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:03 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I agree with you. There is a time and place for each. When I want a real pie, I go to Colisseo's in PJS and get a large pie with meatball and drop about $18. When Papa John's or Domino's has a killer deal, I pick one up from there. It's kind of like when you occasionally bring home McDonalds for the family. It's usually a mid week type deal and we're just trying to save a few bucks and my wife and I are too wiped out to cook. Once in a while it serves its purpose.
As far as authentic italians go, I was surrounded by them when I grew up in Queens before my family moved out to the island and not one of them has better taste buds than me. Over the years a lot of my friends thought I was kidding but I stood up to the challenge. The fact is, there is real pizza, and there is fast food pizza. None are going to make most people puke. People just get a little melodramatic.
How can you go to COLISSEO'S and then back to Papa John's after...just to save a few bucks I wish I could do that because there are 15 of these chains (fast food pizza as you guys call them) in my town alone. I just can't get pass the gag reflex and swallow that garbage.

If you guys love saving a few bucks on pizza...there's always CiCi's pizza down here( excellent reviews) ...a place you can eat all the pizza and their buffet offings for one super low price 4.99 in March. Me I rather go to prison then eat that *****.

Killer deal? Golden Corral runs a killer deal..for 7.99 I could eat unlimited anything including their famous porterhouse not exactly as good but close to Peter Luger's porterhouse steak ..... you guys know what I mean

Old 03-21-2014, 07:23 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,989,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
How can you go to COLISSEO'S and then back to Papa John's after...just to save a few bucks I wish I could do that because there are 15 of these chains (fast food pizza as you guys call them) in my town alone. I just can't get pass the gag reflex and swallow that garbage.

If you guys love saving a few bucks on pizza...there's always CiCi's pizza down here( excellent reviews) ...a place you can eat all the pizza and their buffet offings for one super low price 4.99 in March. Me I rather go to prison then eat that *****.

Killer deal? Golden Corral runs a killer deal..for 7.99 I could eat unlimited anything including their famous porterhouse not exactly as good but close to Peter Luger's porterhouse steak ..... you guys know what I mean
I'll eat Domino's, but CiCi's is garbage. I used to live in FL.
The reviews are relative to what's available in the area, my friend. When there's nothing better, you'll see places like TGI and Chili's, and even CiCi's rise to the top of the reviews.

That's one thing I love about LI. The food here is way better than 90% of the other States. Sorry, Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island