Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:54 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,376,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
So how is Peapod? I used to do Fresh Direct when I lived in the city. Comparable?
FreshDirect isn't available in our area, so I can't compare, but I love Peapod!!!!! They're a lifesaver when you have 4 little ones. They're at my home every week!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 06:37 AM

5,023 posts, read 3,927,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I'm not sure why you seem to be getting defensive- I'm not arguing that HF is a highly ranked district. It obviously is. I am simply asking what about it makes it a great district, apart from test scores/rankings which aren't always reliable (and according to parents in HF the teachers DO place a huge emphasis on test taking to keep rankings up). I am simply asking what the district is known for- this shouldn't be a tough question to answer. The answer can't simply be that the district is good because it's test scores are high. I want to know what areas the district excels in, what are it's strengths, what are it's weaknesses. In all of the research I did on HF, I could not get any answers to this question (and I can't get the answers on here either). In districts like Syosset, CSH, HHH I had no problem at all finding out which areas each district excelled in. It made me feel very uncomfortable to not have this information on HF. Maybe you feel comfortable choosing a district based solely on rankings, but I do not. To be honest, if I were to get the answers to these questions, I might feel differently about the district and might actually reconsider. To use your words- please tell me about the district's 'academic prowess' without quoting rankings.
Now it seems you have accepted that it is an excellent district and has long been an excellent district whether or not you knew it was an excellent district. Whew.
You keep mentioning test scores/rankings and some sort of suspicions that student success on Regents, SATs and APs cannot be an indicator of excellence at Harborfields. You may have to get over this one on your own notwithstanding your purported (large?) circle of HF friends who tell you they somehow know HF puts a greater emphasis on tests than Syosset, JER etc.
The district excels in education. All departments. That is its strength.
Its weakness, for some, is lack of turf fields (we held a district vote and it was massively voted down) - for you(if your kids are sporty) that might be a huge weakness. Another weakness, for some, is that we have no high school swimming pool (if you want a pool at a high school than for you that is a huge weakness). I know HHH has both turf firlds and a district pool. Another weakness, for some, is largish classes in all grades - I don't know class sizes for other excellent districts so I cannot compare. Another weakness, for some, is lack of 7th grade sports teams. And a small high school gym. Another weakness, for some, is an uglyish high school. Another weakness, for some, is a small administrative cadre.
I think that those are sufficient strengths and weaknesses with the full understanding that one person's strength is another's weakness.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:47 AM

883 posts, read 3,712,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Now it seems you have accepted that it is an excellent district and has long been an excellent district whether or not you knew it was an excellent district. Whew.
You keep mentioning test scores/rankings and some sort of suspicions that student success on Regents, SATs and APs cannot be an indicator of excellence at Harborfields. You may have to get over this one on your own notwithstanding your purported (large?) circle of HF friends who tell you they somehow know HF puts a greater emphasis on tests than Syosset, JER etc.
The district excels in education. All departments. That is its strength.
Its weakness, for some, is lack of turf fields (we held a district vote and it was massively voted down) - for you(if your kids are sporty) that might be a huge weakness. Another weakness, for some, is that we have no high school swimming pool (if you want a pool at a high school than for you that is a huge weakness). I know HHH has both turf firlds and a district pool. Another weakness, for some, is largish classes in all grades - I don't know class sizes for other excellent districts so I cannot compare. Another weakness, for some, is lack of 7th grade sports teams. And a small high school gym. Another weakness, for some, is an uglyish high school. Another weakness, for some, is a small administrative cadre.
I think that those are sufficient strengths and weaknesses with the full understanding that one person's strength is another's weakness.
I said that I agree that it is a highly ranked district. I am still unclear as to the specific strengths that make it 'an excellent district'. You say it 'excels in education'- so do many districts on LI, including not as highly rated ones like Huntington (rankings are low because of socioeconomic factors- the upper middle class kids do as well as those is much more highly ranked districts). What sets Harborfields apart?

Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
What is HHH and CSH's academic prowess?

I'm assuming Syosset's is science?

I've always thought HF did/does a great job at making sure the students are well versed in all areas. We have CSH teachers who live on our block and they left other districts to have their children educated in the HF district. We also have quite a few HF alumni that chose to raise their families here. That says something to me.
Its been awhile since I researched Syosset or CSH so I don't remember the specifics- I'm sure there are others here who can comment.*

As for HHH- it always has finalists in the top math/science competitions, has excellent research departments & foreign language departments, is known for it's theater & music programs plus it has a great internship program plus it has tons of very*cool electives.

Here are some of the electives in HS- forensic science, astronomy (with it's own planetarium- can't beat that for hands-on learning; they also have a space shuttle simulator lol), fashion design, business law, robotics; too many to name, the list of electives reads like college courses. Are these electives necessary for a good high school education? Of course not, but it's just another aspect that makes the district stand out. And it probably helps keep students motivated to do well so they qualify for these courses.

Not to mention the strong HHH sports teams (not directly related to academics of course, but it helps make for well-rounded students)...

Old 03-13-2014, 08:50 AM

One more point about rankings- you have to remember that HHH has a large number of socioeconomically disadvantaged students- so you would expect test scores to be lower than a district that doesn't have these students. The fact that HHH *still* manages to do so well to me tells me that all-around, their academics are exemplary. It's very unusual for such a diverse district to do so well; HF is not diverse and is middle to upper-middle class so you would expect the district to do well- they are kids who would probably do well in just about any district.

I apologize to the OP that this has become a HF vs HHH thread, but I just feel it isn't fair to the OP (or others in similar situations reading this thread) to rec HF when there is a nearby highly ranked district that *is* known for it's Special Education services (I'm sure some HF students get good services but no way can they be on par with what a large district known for these services offers). I am sure many people are very happy with HF- that's great- but to say it's the best district for children needing Special Ed services does a disservice IMO.

Anyway, this thread is unlikely to help the OP anymore since in another thread she stated that their budget is only 600k and they want to be close to the city. HHH does not fit either of those requirements. Hopefully it will help others.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Its been awhile since I researched Syosset or CSH so I don't remember the specifics- I'm sure there are others here who can comment.*

As for HHH- it always has finalists in the top math/science competitions, has excellent research departments & foreign language departments, is known for it's theater & music programs plus it has a great internship program plus it has tons of very*cool electives.

Here are some of the electives in HS- forensic science, astronomy (with it's own planetarium- can't beat that for hands-on learning; they also have a space shuttle simulator lol), fashion design, business law, robotics; too many to name, the list of electives reads like college courses. Are these electives necessary for a good high school education? Of course not, but it's just another aspect that makes the district stand out. And it probably helps keep students motivated to do well so they qualify for these courses.

Not to mention the strong HHH sports teams (not directly related to academics of course, but it helps make for well-rounded students)...
That stuff sounds super. Do not move from that district!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
One more point about rankings- you have to remember that HHH has a large number of socioeconomically disadvantaged students- so you would expect test scores to be lower than a district that doesn't have these students. The fact that HHH *still* manages to do so well to me tells me that all-around, their academics are exemplary. It's very unusual for such a diverse district to do so well; HF is not diverse and is middle to upper-middle class so you would expect the district to do well- they are kids who would probably do well in just about any district.
You seem very hung up on rankings - everyone is different and should find the district that suits them best. Parents have varied needs and wants and a school district, in any case, is just one of many factors in deciding where to live. You don't need to try to explain HHH issues ...they do very well.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 03-13-2014 at 10:24 AM..

Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 PM

7 posts, read 16,733 times
Default Centerport/Northport/Port Jeff?

I just happened to stumble upon this thread while in the midst of researching towns/school districts on Long Island. Our family is relocating from out of state ( I am a former LIer), and we're focusing specifically on Centerport, Northport and Port Jefferson. We've heard great things about all of the school districts, but what about the people? We are coming from a very small/cliquey town, and do not want to experience that ever again. We have two children, ages 6 and 12, who are well rounded boys. Both participate in sports (lax, soccer), and are interested in music, art and outdoor activities (biking, beaches, etc.) The parents in our current town are obsessed with their children being popular, and that means focusing only on football and cheerleading as their main activities. We do not want to go live in a town like this at all! Looking for a friendly, laid back type of town. Which in your opinion is best...Centerport, Northport or Port Jeff?

We also like the HBCA in Centerport, and were wondering if anyone who lives in Centerport can join, or do you have to live on a certain street in Centerport? Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:19 PM

31 posts, read 152,686 times
Harberfeelds is not that great. Lots of kids that go thare are spoiled and snotty and do lots of drugs. I knew some of em. Anyboody sayin its so great is just bragging but its not as great as real rich schools like huntington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island