Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2014, 01:34 PM

11 posts, read 12,540 times

Advertisements

Hello Forum Members,

First time post for me here. My Mom who is 84, has cataracts for a few years. She avoided doing anything about it until now. After some research, we have a list of 4-5 possible ophthalmologists in Nassau county. She's leaning towards one, who was recommended by a neighbor.

Before we make a final decision, I thought I'd ask the boardfor some first hand personal recommendations too. Thank you for your time and words.

George
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 01:39 PM

79 posts, read 232,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpalz View Post
Hello Forum Members,

First time post for me here. My Mom who is 84, has cataracts for a few years. She avoided doing anything about it until now. After some research, we have a list of 4-5 possible ophthalmologists in Nassau county. She's leaning towards one, who was recommended by a neighbor.

Before we make a final decision, I thought I'd ask the boardfor some first hand personal recommendations too. Thank you for your time and words.

George
I personally recommend Dr. Howard Lane from South Shore Eye care. He has an office in Wantagh and Massapequa. He performed my laser vision corrective surgery (I went with PRK over Lasik) and I did this based on a recommendation of a friend who had lasik, who was recommended by a friend of his who also had lasik. I know its not the same exact procedure for cataracts, but he's definitely a good doctor. We all had very successful surgeries, I've gone to some for a few follow-ups too, and have had no eye problems in the 4 years since I've had the surgery, 20/15 vision! (which is better than 20/20) I had a friend visit him for floaters, everyone seems to like him.

Old 03-17-2014, 03:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpalz View Post
Hello Forum Members,

George
If any of the doctors on your list are part of Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island, I would consider that an excellent sign, as this is a very good practice that has some real leaders in the ophthalmic field. I don't have experience with cataracts, but I do have experience with this practice and one of their other expert doctors in particular, and they do seem to search out excellence in terms of the doctors they accept, so I have the highest confidence in their practice. For example, I couldn't imagine this doctor doing a bad job on a cataract surgery:

Dr. Henry D. Perry, MD - Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island

Old 03-17-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberiusP View Post
I'm an eye doctor but do not do cataract surgery.

Has she been diagnosed yet? If so, who made the diagnosis and have you thought about that doctor doing the procedure?

Moderator cut: that comment was removed
Dr. Bernstein on Plainview
Dr. Donnenfeld by Roosevelt Field (the first on LI to use lasers in cataract surgery)

Good luck
Dr. Donnenfeld is part of Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island. Their website actually says they are the first eye care practice in the northeast to offer laser cataract surgery. See Dr. Donnenfeld talk about it here:

Laser Cataract Surgery on Long Island, New York, NY

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-18-2014 at 02:27 PM..

Old 03-17-2014, 05:24 PM

Moderator cut: that post was removed

She was diagnosed during an eye exam at my local Optometrist office four years ago. They referred us to an Ophthalmologist, but my Mom put it off.

I did come across Dr Donnenfeld during my search. My sister-in-law, through a work associate of hers referred me to a Dr Larry Berstein at IslandEye. Might even be the same Dr Bernstein in your post.

Glad to know they are respected in their field. Thank you for your reply.

George

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-18-2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old 03-17-2014, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If any of the doctors on your list are part of Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island, I would consider that an excellent sign, as this is a very good practice that has some real leaders in the ophthalmic field. I don't have experience with cataracts, but I do have experience with this practice and one of their other expert doctors in particular, and they do seem to search out excellence in terms of the doctors they accept, so I have the highest confidence in their practice. For example, I couldn't imagine this doctor doing a bad job on a cataract surgery:

Dr. Henry D. Perry, MD - Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island
I pass by the Old Country Road Office everyday. Will look into OCLI a bit more. Thank you.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:43 PM

Thank you Marsui. Glad your experience went well with him. I'll take a look at SSEC.

George

Old 03-18-2014, 12:17 PM

246 posts, read 470,473 times
We have lives, children and days off. Imagine that, whinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Dr. Donnenfeld is part of Ophthalmic Consultants of Long Island.

Yep. Eric was the first on the east coast to do femtosecond laser cataract surgery.
Eric, Hank, Larry, I'd recommend.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:44 PM

Moderator cut: that comment was removed

New rule: DOCTORS aren't allowed on CD!!!!! LOL!

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-18-2014 at 02:27 PM..

Old 03-18-2014, 03:21 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,397,897 times
My mom goes to a great eye doctor that did her cataract surgery 2 years ago (she's 68 now) He is in Valley Stream
Dr. Gerard Daversa. If I did not live in Suffolk county I would still be going to him. Great bedside manor and well renound in the field of Eye Surgery and Lasik.(516) 374-4199
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island