Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:29 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times

Advertisements

Definitely eliminate: SLOW moving trains.
Add : Lots and lots of jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 01:58 PM

163 posts, read 246,033 times
Eliminate high taxes
Add better commuting options

Old 03-21-2014, 02:25 PM

302 posts, read 590,670 times
Eliminate all unions.

Put more into parks, hiking trails, and downtowns

Old 03-22-2014, 09:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
I'd remove all the guidos haha and add some rooftop pools & hottubs... do these even exist here? Other than the Allegria in LB (which is over $50 for non-hotel guests), where do these type things even exist?

Old 03-23-2014, 07:28 AM

167 posts, read 305,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Hey, I hear ya. Voting "YES!" to the Pines would be a great start for you and others in the same situation.
The Pines won't be affordable for them either. Or the new apartments in Patchogue for $2700 a month...

Old 03-23-2014, 11:35 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Eliminate: high taxes
Add: more affordable housing and condo complexes geared towards young adults. Practically every condo complex around here is for age 55+. We need to keep the people in my age range here on Long Island before we worry about the oldies.

Several previous posters on here have suggested Long Island statehood and while that will always be my dream I am also a realist and I recognize that it is impossible to get anything done in Congress with the current batch of useless clowns (only Congress can create new states).

Old 03-23-2014, 06:53 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Eliminate: high taxes
Add: more affordable housing and condo complexes geared towards young adults. Practically every condo complex around here is for age 55+. We need to keep the people in my age range here on Long Island before we worry about the oldies.
One thing that recently came to light here is how that will affect school districts. If young adults have more housing that also means more kids attending the schools. In turn that makes for larger classrooms. Many do not want that as tax-payers and voters paying to have their children go to good schools. As with anything, you can't ask to have something because we don't have a lot of it already and not expect repercussions. I mean, these young adults will be adversely affected as a result too - it doesn't matter who's kids are new... too many is too many. This explains why you'd see more 55+ housing approved.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:26 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMom77 View Post
The Pines won't be affordable for them either. Or the new apartments in Patchogue for $2700 a month...
Apples and bowling balls, hun.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:47 AM

167 posts, read 305,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
One thing that recently came to light here is how that will affect school districts. If young adults have more housing that also means more kids attending the schools. In turn that makes for larger classrooms. Many do not want that as tax-payers and voters paying to have their children go to good schools. As with anything, you can't ask to have something because we don't have a lot of it already and not expect repercussions. I mean, these young adults will be adversely affected as a result too - it doesn't matter who's kids are new... too many is too many. This explains why you'd see more 55+ housing approved.
Bingo!

Old 03-24-2014, 06:04 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Only SD's are losing kids every year from the last few census' I have seen.

Honestly younger couples are the problem: STOP BUYING THE HOUSES. Or at the very least start giving offers you can actually afford. Overextending yourself on a mortgage is a bad way to start life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island