Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 03:50 PM

730 posts, read 1,294,053 times

Advertisements

If you could wave a magic wand that would eliminate just ONE thing or factor about life on LI, and replace it with just ONE other thing that you feel we don't have, or that could be greatly improved... what would those two things be?

They can be anything: economic or educational or cultural or weather-related or quality of life factors such as traffic, noise, congestion, etc.

So.. what would your "magic wand swaps" be?

Mine are:

ELIMINATE: property taxes above $5K per year

ADD: Honestly I have a hard time with this, because other than the property taxes I sincerely do love everything about LI and I've lived here for more than six decades. But since I have to add something, it would be the long promised/never delivered bridge across the Sound to CT, as an extension of Rte 135.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 04:23 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,711,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
If you could wave a magic wand that would eliminate just ONE thing or factor about life on LI, and replace it with just ONE other thing that you feel we don't have, or that could be greatly improved... what would those two things be?

They can be anything: economic or educational or cultural or weather-related or quality of life factors such as traffic, noise, congestion, etc.

Mine are:

ADD: Honestly I have a hard time with this, because other than the property taxes I sincerely do love everything about LI and I've lived here for more than six decades. But since I have to add something, it would be the long promised/never delivered bridge across the Sound to CT, as an extension of Rte 135.
A magic wand, you say? Then I'd have the same answer as you, but I'd additionally have Route 135 tunnel under the Atlantic and run as an expressway to the New Jersey Turnpike and Garden State Parkway.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:30 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,885,307 times
SUBTRACT: Ultra high cost of living.

ADD: Housing options for young adults (preferably in the form of condos/apartments near LIRR stops)

Old 03-18-2014, 04:41 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,211,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post

ADD: Housing options for young adults (preferably in the form of condos/apartments near LIRR stops)
Sounds like The Pines @ Holbrook are right up your alley.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:45 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,885,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Sounds like The Pines @ Holbrook are right up your alley.
I'm not just talking about one development but a trend of much more options being created for younger professionals. More areas immediately near LIRR stops should be revitalized and have more housing aimed at the younger educated demographic. There are plenty of educated young adults (such as myself) who would love to stay on Long Island but don't have a preference for NYC, so there is a tremendous demand.

Currently the only options for us are:
- Illegal basement/garage apartments
- Staying in our childhood bedroom
- Being homeless
- Overpriced apartments starting at a min of $1300/mo (if your lucky!)

Old 03-18-2014, 05:10 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,211,563 times
Quote:
I'm not just talking about one development but a trend of much more options being created for younger professionals. More areas immediately near LIRR stops should be revitalized and have more housing aimed at the younger educated demographic. There are plenty of educated young adults (such as myself) who would love to stay on Long Island but don't have a preference for NYC, so there is a tremendous demand.

Currently the only options for us are:
- Illegal basement/garage apartments
- Staying in our childhood bedroom
- Being homeless
- Overpriced apartments starting at a min of $1300/mo (if your lucky!)
Hey, I hear ya. Voting "YES!" to the Pines would be a great start for you and others in the same situation.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:27 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,711,327 times
Quote:

Good one!

Old 03-18-2014, 05:32 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,669,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post

Mine are:

I go for less than 5k per year and no bridge but add a few more Ferrys

Old 03-18-2014, 09:16 PM

483 posts, read 666,599 times
REMOVE: The ugliness of the suburb look

ADD: Better transport

Old 03-18-2014, 09:28 PM

258 posts, read 454,240 times
Remove: The monopolies that exist on the island. Cable, power, stuff like that.

Add: Better transportation.

- Improved LIRR service, entirely electrified from Manhattan to Montauk and Greenport, with East Side Access open, all available western terminals used well (i.e. Hunterspoint Avenue), and few annoying snags.
- A unified and reliable bus system across Nassau and Suffolk, whether it be MTA Long Island Bus, Veolia, or someone else. No more early or missing buses, no missed transfers. Take MetroCard, or have a form of bus pass.
- Better roads, I don't know why there's always heavy traffic in certain areas at any given time, but if that's the case then something needs to be addressed with our roads. There are potholes everywhere. Why? Also, the Cross Sound Tunnel is long overdue. Build it and stick it with MTA Bridges and Tunnels if you have to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island