Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 07:32 PM

12 posts, read 58,595 times

Advertisements

I took my 1st road test in February in Garden City Park and failed on my switching lanes(dumb mistake). I missed my 2nd one(today,3/19) due to an emergency so I had to reschedule. When I went to reschedule, it was nothing available in Nassau County(which is where I live) until the end of April BUT they had one available in the beginning of April but only in Centereach & Riverhead. I chose Centereach. Now my question is, me living in Nassau & never really driving in Suffolk. Will I have a problem with the road test out there? Am I setting myself up for a fail?

If anyone know what to expect taking a road test in Suffolk county or have any tips PLEASE HELP!

THANKSSSS!

Last edited by LadyNYC; 03-19-2014 at 08:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 08:13 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,196,799 times
Centereach was where I took my road test in 1968 . I passed the first time so it probably is pretty easy. Of course, there were a lot less cars on the road back then.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-19-2014, 09:40 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,710,674 times
I took my road test in Cambria Heights (Queens) and it was super easy. My sister failed the road test in Garden City, but passed (after more practice) in Cambria Heights. The staff was also really nice at that location. If for whatever reason Centreach doesn't work out, I'd recommend Cambria Heights.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:36 AM

258 posts, read 454,075 times
I don't know how it is in Centereach, but in Patchogue the road test is nothing but local residential roads after the very beginning.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:27 AM

1,724 posts, read 4,014,091 times
If you think driving in Suffolk is that much different than Nassau or any other county besides some of the Boros, I would suggest you practice more.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:01 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,561,716 times
You'll be fine in Centereach. It's mostly in a residential area.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:00 PM

481 posts, read 1,056,259 times
Centereach is more difficult compared to Patchogue. The thing is, there are a lot of cars parked along the side of the roads and there are very faded painted lined at wide turns (my daughter, who recently took it there twice, never experienced that before). I would suggest to google earth it and check it out. I believe you'll be able to see those tricky turns that I mentioned.

After my daughter failed the first time, we were told by local friends to try Patchogue. She basically failed because it was early and there were kids at bus stops and people walking in the roads. She went around them and failed for going on the wrong side of the road. Make sure your appointment is not around the times where school is starting or ending.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 AM

163 posts, read 244,743 times
I've heard that the Hauppauge testing site is difficult because there are many lane changes. The Brentwood testing site is easier and secondary streets, although there's a 4-way stop early on that much of the cross traffic blows through which can be a pain.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:09 PM

258 posts, read 454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
Centereach is more difficult compared to Patchogue. The thing is, there are a lot of cars parked along the side of the roads and there are very faded painted lined at wide turns (my daughter, who recently took it there twice, never experienced that before). I would suggest to google earth it and check it out. I believe you'll be able to see those tricky turns that I mentioned.

After my daughter failed the first time, we were told by local friends to try Patchogue. She basically failed because it was early and there were kids at bus stops and people walking in the roads. She went around them and failed for going on the wrong side of the road. Make sure your appointment is not around the times where school is starting or ending.
That's rough, my instructor told me that 90-95% of the time when you start the test, you're asked to make a left onto Division and you avoid the school zone all together. My test was the same way. I can see the LIRR station being a problem though, commuters crossing the street and whatnot. I took mine at 11:00 am, so there were no commuters or kids in the street. That's probably the most ideal time.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:24 PM

562 posts, read 1,051,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMS99 View Post
I've heard that the Hauppauge testing site is difficult because there are many lane changes. The Brentwood testing site is easier and secondary streets, although there's a 4-way stop early on that much of the cross traffic blows through which can be a pain.
I heard one of the tricks at Brentwood (at least when I was in high school) was the tester asking you to turn down a one-way street—the wrong way. You were supposed to say, "No, that's a one-way street." I was supposed to take my test there, not realizing that my test car's registration expired two days prior, then wound up having to take the road test in White Plains because that was the only site that could fit me in before I left for college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island