Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:05 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,044,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
You have told your tales here and most have come to the conclusion that you are not able to afford what your parents had. That tells me your are not as successful as your dad. Its not your all your fault. Those are big shoes to fill. Be happy with what you have been able to afford and hopefully you can achieve that dream of raising a family in a top school district like you were on day. Just be aware studies show that middle age parents are greater candidates to produce children with disabilities and you are approaching that time quickly.
So I guess your parents were 50 when you were born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 10:12 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,988,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
that would explain a lot

Old 03-26-2014, 10:17 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,875,190 times
Quote:
Not quite...you on the other hand have admitted you are. My condolences

Old 03-26-2014, 11:06 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,044,946 times
Quote:
Not quite...you on the other hand have admitted you are. My condolences
Amazing comeback

Old 03-26-2014, 11:09 AM

6,922 posts, read 6,985,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
no, I'm telling you because YOU chose to believe that instead of utilizing common sense or reaching out to people who might actually work at firms in your industry.
I am basing it on actual people in my industry.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Your life choices are of no concern to me or anyone else.
Then why do you give me such a hard time about my life choices?

This thread was not even about my life choices; I was just trying to give advice to the OP.

Quote:
The (many) false assumptions you use to validate your choices are what people take issue with.
I am not making any false assumptions. It is a fact that if I commuted to NYC, I would have less free time than I do now. It is a fact that commuting on the LIRR every day costs more than just driving a few miles to work every day. Those are both indisputable.

It is a fact that people I know in my field in NYC work longer hours, pay more for health insurance, and have fewer vacation days and paid holidays than I have. That is a more gray area since obviously I don't know every single person in my field, but I am just basing it on what I know.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
that is why your advice is not sound
Why not?

Quote:
oh yes, I do my own lawn as well. I clean my own gutters. I plow my own snow.
Since you have a short commute to work, you have the time to do that.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
You have told your tales here and most have come to the conclusion that you are not able to afford what your parents had. That tells me your are not as successful as your dad. Its not your all your fault. Those are big shoes to fill. Be happy with what you have been able to afford and hopefully you can achieve that dream of raising a family in a top school district like you were on day. Just be aware studies show that middle age parents are greater candidates to produce children with disabilities and you are approaching that time quickly.
The reason is because the cost of living has increased much faster than salaries have, and there are fewer jobs on Long Island now than there was during my parents' days. Has nothing to do with my level of success.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
that would explain a lot
No, my parents were not 50 when I was born!

Old 03-26-2014, 11:17 AM

I still don't understand why everyone is attacking me in this thread. Until I was attacked and forced to defend myself, nothing that I said in this thread was a complaint. Everything that I said was intended as advice to the OP, which the OP is free to either take or not to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island