Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:54 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
The Greenlawn home still sold for $70,000 more. Even if the Centerport home needed 100K in renovations to be on par with the Greenlawn home, that's still only $30k above the Greenlawn home. That's not that much of a difference when the CPT home also has a beach association you can join. Point is, you are making it sound like Centerport homes command a sizable amt, such as $100,000 or more, simply for location when it just does not. If the level of desirability were as you are making CPT out to be, then this WOULD be the case. If you know real estate in the area, again, you would see these 2 homes would attract SIMILAR buyers based on bedrooms, price point, lot size, home style, etc.

Someone may choose the Greenlawn home b/c they want a pool or to be walking distance to the "village", library, etc. Someone may choose the CPT home b/c they like the hilly, more private lots and want to be part of a beach association and have no interest in putting in a pool. To make it sound like the 2 homes i posted are like night and day is not seeing the big picture of the types of homes for sale in BOTH areas and the homes these buyers would attract.
A much better comparison to the Centerport house would be a Greenlawn house that sold in the mid 400's. If you think the Centerport home only needs $100k to bring it up to par with the Greenlawn home you chose, then you don't know nearly as much about real estate as you claim to. In addition to new kitchen/baths/moldings/trim/taking down some walls/pool/landscaping, you'd need to add a den & another
bathroom lol!! Oh wait, the property is too small to add a den, another full bathroom & a pool. No amount of money can fix that. You really think these 2 houses would attract the same buyer? Talk about post misleading information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 12:59 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Here is another example

16 Oakwood St, Greenlawn, NY 11740 | MLS# 2616787 | Redfin Listed at 429,000 and sold for 415,000 (Listed in Sept and in contract by Nov)

226 Cleveland Dr, Centerport, NY 11721 | MLS# 2622434 | Redfin For sale at 405,000 (already lower) and may sell for mid-high 300s as it's on the market for over 170 days.

They each have pluses and minuses, but in the end are similar for buyers in that price range. Obviously you get more land in Greenlawn, and therefore the Greenlawn home cost/will clearly cost more.

These are listings both current and sold within the last 3 months. You really won't be able to find much closer comps in the area in a close timeframe, as there isn't that much inventory. In addition, lots in Greenlawn are almost always larger than any CPT Pres. lot.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 04-02-2014 at 01:57 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Oh wait, the property is too small to add a den, another full bathroom & a pool. No amount of money can fix that. You really think these 2 houses would attract the same buyer?

Talk about post misleading information.
Exactly! There you have an aspect of Greenlawn realty that makes it desirable for people in itself. Flat lots and more usable space. In the CPT home you could go UP to renovate keep in mind. But this is exactly why I keep saying CPT isn't considered more desirable to the majority of buyers in the district b/c CPT has aspects that are unchangeable and many buyers don't prefer hilly smaller lots just to be in *CPT*. In addition, you cannot really factor in the pool b/c MANY buyers see a pool as a negative and many buyers won't even consider a home with a pool b/c they just don't want one for various reasons. So sometimes the pool (despite having cost $$$ to put in) actually is a loss for a property owner and decreases the amt of buyers interested b/c it's a deal breaker for many buyers. So if the prospective buyer choses the CPT home that is $70,000 less and doesn't wish to add a pool, they can make plenty of renovations to make the home pretty similar to the Greenlawn home. Anyone looking at homes that are 3 beds and 2 baths who could go up to low 500s would likely have looked at both of those. There isn't THAT much inventory in the area to have loads of 3 bed and 2 bath homes in the low 500s that don't need massive amt of work to chose from. They would then chose whichever home they felt valued their wants and needs best. You can't have exact comps when the neighborhoods are very different and there isn't much inventory to compare.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 04-02-2014 at 02:06 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 02:14 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:

Yes, it would. Anyone looking at homes that are 3 beds and 2 baths who could go up to low 500s would see these. There isn't THAT much inventory in the area to have loads of 3 bed and 2 bath homes in the low 500s that don't need massive amt of work to chose from. So odds are buyers seeking low 500 homes would see both. They would CHOOSE in the end which house had aspects that were more important to them, and that's exactly the point. Many would CHOOSE Greenlawn b/c it has many desirable aspects that CPT Presidents section does not (such as flat lots). That's why you can't say CPT is more desirable than Greenlawn in HF, simply due to being CPT b/c it's NOT.

You're still not making the case that CPT commands higher prices b/c on that logic, that CPT home would be close to the cost of the Greenlawn home, despite it's features that the CPT home does not have. Greenlawn has many desirable aspects and again this is the point I am trying to make.

I know when we were looking, we basically just viewed homes within our budget and within the district itself. We never stated we wanted 4 bedrooms or Centerport only. We would do an initial assessment of the neighborhood and surrounding homes by driving by, then I would tell the realtor whether I was interested in seeing the interior. (Obviously websites with MLS listings weren't really available back then, so I had a realtor emailing me listings.) Heck, my husband was sold on our home before he even walked into the house. We pulled up and literally walked through the front door and out the back to see the property. We made an offer in the driveway. The home itself was almost irrelevant...as long as it was liveable. I do recall viewing a number of homes up on the peninsula. I don't recall many homes being for sale up on the north end (Gina Dr, etc.). I feel like those have started to pop up on the market of recently (last several years.)

And I LOVE the little town of Greenlawn, especially now that we have young children. I'm always saying to my husband how this is a great town to raise a family in. (It reminds me of "Bedford Falls." ) I know others find Centerport appealing because they're active in the yacht club or beach associations, but that wasn't a draw for us.

W

Old 04-02-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Here is another example

16 Oakwood St, Greenlawn, NY 11740 | MLS# 2616787 | Redfin Listed at 429,000 and sold for 415,000 (Listed in Sept and in contract by Nov)

226 Cleveland Dr, Centerport, NY 11721 | MLS# 2622434 | Redfin For sale at 405,000 (already lower) and may sell for mid-high 300s as it's on the market for over 170 days.

They each have pluses and minuses, but in the end are similar for buyers in that price range. Obviously you get more land in Greenlawn, and therefore the Greenlawn home cost/will clearly cost more.

These are listings both current and sold within the last 3 months. You really won't be able to find much closer comps in the area in a close timeframe, as there isn't that much inventory. In addition, lots in Greenlawn are almost always larger than any CPT Pres. lot.
I'm not going to even bother to compare those 2 properties since comparing something that sold for $415k to something likely to sell in the mid $300's doesn't make much sense.

However, it does make perfect sense to compare 16 Oakwood in Greenlawn to 120 Cleveland (the original one you posted in Centerport). This is actually a terrific comparison. *In addition to what the CPT house offers, the GL house has:
-an additional bathroom (again, going from 1 to 2 bathrooms equals a substantial increase in value)
-a den
-a study
-an overall cleaner, more updated look & feel
-twice as much property
-a flat, useable backyard

All for much less $$$!! $36,000 less to be exact.

You can keep arguing that for the same price, you get similar properties in Centerport & Greenlawn. Yet clearly that is not the case when you compare houses at similar prices. Nor was it my experience when I was looking several months ago. That is not to say someone isn't going to choose Greenlawn for other reasons, but that's a whole other issue.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I know when we were looking, we basically just viewed homes within our budget and within the district itself. We never stated we wanted 4 bedrooms or Centerport only. We would do an initial assessment of the neighborhood and surrounding homes by driving by, then I would tell the realtor whether I was interested in seeing the interior. (Obviously websites with MLS listings weren't really available back then, so I had a realtor emailing me listings.) Heck, my husband was sold on our home before he even walked into the house. We pulled up and literally walked through the front door and out the back to see the property. We made an offer in the driveway. The home itself was almost irrelevant...as long as it was liveable. I do recall viewing a number of homes up on the peninsula. I don't recall many homes being for sale up on the north end (Gina Dr, etc.). I feel like those have started to pop up on the market of recently (last several years.)

And I LOVE the little town of Greenlawn, especially now that we have young children. I'm always saying to my husband how this is a great town to raise a family in. (It reminds me of "Bedford Falls." ) I know others find Centerport appealing because they're active in the yacht club or beach associations, but that wasn't a draw for us.

W
I am really truly happy that you love where you live so much- it's a wonderful feeling! Greenlawn's Main Street is very cute actually- there are 2 upscale-looking restaurants there that I imagine are very nice to have nearby!!

Old 04-02-2014, 03:33 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
I am really truly happy that you love where you live so much- it's a wonderful feeling! Greenlawn's Main Street is very cute actually- there are 2 upscale-looking restaurants there that I imagine are very nice to have nearby!!
Yeah...especially since we can't afford to go to the real-upscale ones in HV. (Smell the sarcasm. )

Old Fields is owned by David Tunney and if I'm not mistaken, he's a Greenlawn resident. I'm sure you're familiar with his other restaurants: Besito(s) and Honu.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Yeah...especially since we can't afford to go to the real-upscale ones in HV. (Smell the sarcasm. )

Old Fields is owned by David Tunney and if I'm not mistaken, he's a Greenlawn resident. I'm sure you're familiar with his other restaurants: Besito(s) and Honu.
LOL- I didn't mean to be insulting by saying 'upscale-looking'- I only said it that way because I've only driven past those restaurants & have never been inside and haven't seen the menus!

I love Besito & Honu- I will have to try Old Field. As an added bonus it's actually closer to the area that I'm moving to than Huntington Village is!!

Old 04-02-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I' That is not to say someone isn't going to choose Greenlawn for other reasons, but that's a whole other issue.
Exactly why I have continued to post. To show that CPT isn't at the center of the universe of the HF district, despite what some of CPTs residents (people you personally know) may think of the neighborhood they clearly preferred (just as others clearly prefer their respective neighborhoods). And that each area within the district has a GREAT appeal to various buyers and YES< most buyers in the district, almost all buyers in the district can purchase a home in either CPT Peninsula or CPT Presidents but CHOOSE to live elsewhere within the HF district. That's the most important point in this whole thread, to dispute the statements made back on pages 1 and 2, that everyone who isn't CPT in HF is longing to be there, or looked "down" upon. Or talked about behind their back (not to your face), as you said. That isn't the childish mentality of most of the wonderful residents of the district by far and most residents don't have to play the "I can top you" game that often goes on in other flashier districts. In HF you will see more moderately priced vehicles and clothing, nothing too flashy, and even though there is wealth, it isn't a contest for an overwhelming majority of the residents.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 04-02-2014 at 04:38 PM..

Old 04-02-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Ok but that's exactly the whole point of this thread. It is to show that CPT isn't at the center of the universe of the HF district, despite what some of CPTs residents (people you personally know) may think of the neighborhood they clearly preferred (just as others clearly prefer their respective neighborhoods). And that each area within the district has a GREAT appeal to various buyers and YES< most buyers in the district, almost all buyers in the district can purchase a home in either CPT Peninsula or CPT Presidents but CHOOSE to live elsewhere within the HF district.

That's the main point of this whole thread, to dispute that everyone who isn't CPT in HF is longing to be there, or looked "down" upon. Or talked about behind their back (not to your face), as you said. That isn't the childish mentality of most of the wonderful residents of the district by far.
The point of this thread was to discuss the REPUTATION of Greenlawn- the OP heard that Greenlawn didnt have a great reputation while Centerport was well-regarded. Obviously, the cost of an area and it's reputation are often linked- people are willing to pay more for an area with a better reputation. The feeling I got that Centerport residents look down upon Greenlawn residents was my experience; obviously you had a different experience. Of course there are reasons why someone might move to Greenlawn- but that wasn't the point of this thread at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island