Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 04:33 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
"Kwasi scored 2,250 out of a possible 2,400 points on the SAT and is ranked No. 11 in a class of 647 at William Floyd, a large public school on Long Island's south shore."

again, race probably did play a role. I am not doubting his intelligence. Fact is that his HS ranking & SAT score is below what the top IVY would generally accept. No one can dispute this.

I went to a excellent HS in nyc and usually the top 2-3% got into the top 3...namely Harvard, Yale & Princeton. Some NYC HS don't have any students get acceptance letters to the IVYs. After top 10, there was pretty zero chance into getting in to the 3 aforementioned schools......unless race was a factor.

I personally knew someone who wasn't even in the top 15% of my graduation class and got into Yale....I am sure you can guess why.
His SAT score is actually average for those admitted to the schools listed, and if you look at his rank on a percentage basis, that puts him in the top 1.7% of his graduating class, also well within the median for Ivy admissions.

Stop trying to cloak your racism in "facts" (or at least get your facts right if you're going to try it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 04:43 PM

519 posts, read 597,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
His SAT score is actually average for those admitted to the schools listed, and if you look at his rank on a percentage basis, that puts him in the top 1.7% of his graduating class, also well within the median for Ivy admissions.

Stop trying to cloak your racism in "facts" (or at least get your facts right if you're going to try it).
You could deny it all you want. The people in this thread are pointing out racism. They are not the racists.

The cold, hard fact is if he were white, he wouldve been treated differently (in a bad way).

That's the definition of racism.

Old 04-01-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Here we go. Listen, do you know how many white kids make it into Ivy League schools, either because of their pampered lives or their parents' connections?
Listen, do you know how many white kids get rejected solely because they are white?

Old 04-01-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Listen, do you know how many white kids get rejected solely because they are white?
Please, please point me to any factual support whatsoever for this statement. I am dying to read an actual fact that would back up the assertion that anyone anywhere got rejected from a school for being Caucasian.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Please, please point me to any factual support whatsoever for this statement. I am dying to read an actual fact that would back up the assertion that anyone anywhere got rejected from a school for being Caucasian.
Are you stuck in the 80s?

It's right there in your face....Affirmative action. AA (positive discrimination), in and of itself, is racism. This does go on at the college admissions level. Perhaps it was needed 40 or 50 years ago. Now it's modern day racism. Deny it all you want. You seem to be the racist for supporting that.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Are you stuck in the 80s?

It's right there in your face....Affirmative action. AA, in and of itself, is racism. This does go on at the college admissions level. Perhaps it was needed 40 or 50 years ago. Now it's modern day racism. Deny it all you want. You seem to be the racist for supporting that.
So, in the absence of any facts to support your position, you resort to an ad hominem attack.

Tell me, where do you get those fine, fine debating skills?

Old 04-01-2014, 05:36 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:

SAT is below the Harvard, Yale & Princeton...maybe competitive.

Rank #11 is not high...especially out of Shirley. So you implying the top 10 students...rank #1-10 have as high odds as him getting into the 3 IVYs...let alone ALL 8 IVYs? So most or all of the top 11 students of his high school are all on the same level as him?

As for %, I was stating my HS which was top 5 in NYC. I can't speak for all schools everywhere. I am not even referring about the median for IVY. I was referring to the top 3 Ivys....let alone get accept to all 8.

If the article said he scored 2350-2400, school valedictorian...perhaps throw in tennis champion or intel competition winner in the article...honestly, I wouldn't debate this issue at all.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:46 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Let's fund all of the schools across Long Island equally, regardless of the parents' socioeconomic status. Then we can talk about what's "really fair."

This kid had almost every possible strike against him a kid trying to achieve academically could possibly have - poor, first generation immigrant, terrible school district, minority, and male (which is a disadvantage in the academic setting) - in spite of all of that, he scores in the 99th percentile on his SATs, has successfully completed almost a dozen AP courses, and is in the top, what, 3%? of one of the largest graduating classes on Long Island, and as far as you're concerned, he got in to the Ivy league because he's black? Wow. Just. Wow.
His supportive family trumps all of his difficulties. By far.

"Ebenezer Enin, Kwasi's father, a nurse, said Kwasi -- who wants to study medicine -- was raised, along with his sister, to strive for excellence."

and

He has now surpassed the accomplishments of some of his uncles and cousins, who were accepted to several Ivies. "I always thought they were far better than me academically," Kwasi said.

Given his grades and his ethnicity it is altogether unsurprising he has his pick of the Ivies.

Old 04-01-2014, 05:57 PM

57 posts, read 88,348 times
Quote:
Abigail Fisher
Fisher v. University of Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Allan Bakke
Regents of the University of California v. Bakke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jennifer Gratz
Patrick Hamacher
Gratz v. Bollinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-01-2014, 06:08 PM

57 posts, read 88,348 times
Barbara Grutter, from Grutter v Bollinger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island