Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 04:14 AM

38 posts, read 51,012 times

Advertisements

He's all-Ivy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 04:15 AM

38 posts, read 51,012 times
Kwasi Enin of Shirley has been accepted by the eight Ivy League schools -- Harvard, Yale, Brown, Columbia, University of Pennsylvania, Dartmouth, Princeton and Cornell -- and then some. He will have his choice as the decision deadline of May 1 approaches.

"I simply thought I would apply," Enin told Long Island Newsday. "I was hoping to get one or two. Then they all came, and I said, 'There's no way.'"

Enin scored a 2250 out of a possible 2400 on his SAT, placing him in the 98th percentile across the country, according to The College Board. He's also ranked 11th in his class at William Floyd High School, a public school on Long Island, according to his principal, Barbara Butler.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:04 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,982,728 times
Not to take anything negative from this, but being black certainly help his chances.

Normally rank 11 in an average high school usually does not even get a second look at any of those schools. Because he is colored he get accepted to all of them.

Either way, congrats to him.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:20 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Not to take anything negative from this, but being black certainly help his chances.

Normally rank 11 in an average high school usually does not even get a second look at any of those schools. Because he is colored he get accepted to all of them.

Either way, congrats to him.

The mere fact that you use the term "colored" shows you never went to or could qualify for any of these schools or probably even Manhattan Community College. Please come into this decade will you the weather here is quite nice.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:48 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
He's from Long Island so this should be in the LI sub-forum if anything. Getting accepted into all the ivy's (even with racial quotas it is not a strong likelihood) isn't easy and is worthy of praise certainly. He must be a very impressive young man.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:53 AM

898 posts, read 1,218,098 times
i would put this achievement partly on his race thanks to affirmative action, not fully. he did get a 2250 on his SAT but the fact is a lot of whites and asians also score that high or higher. they simply get passed over because that is somewhat expected of them. with blacks, it's like a huge deal and it also gives good publicity to the universities to be politically correct, to have the token race guy (look at us! we are not racist because we have black friends, er students!). on the flipside, he may have written about his life story in the essay to these schools. maybe he came from a bad place and moved up? etc. etc. those who score very high on the SAT usually have some kind of family/financial backing to help them. it's possible this kid had none of it and worked his way up. that's my best guess as to why the universities extended an entrance offer to him, besides the politically correct thing.

and like ipuck said, being 11th is not so great. 11th place means 10 people ahead of you were better than you academically. that's a huge number. not 2 or 4 but 10.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:02 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
I don't know his specific grades but it says he was in top 2% of his class and his SAT score definitely stands out. He's clearly a bright kid. He would be a candidate for an ivy so it's not like his race is the reason he was even considered.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
i would put this achievement partly on his race thanks to affirmative action, not fully. he did get a 2250 on his SAT but the fact is a lot of whites and asians also score that high or higher. they simply get passed over because that is somewhat expected of them. with blacks, it's like a huge deal and it also gives good publicity to the universities to be politically correct, to have the token race guy (look at us! we are not racist because we have black friends, er students!). on the flipside, he may have written about his life story in the essay to these schools. maybe he came from a bad place and moved up? etc. etc. those who score very high on the SAT usually have some kind of family/financial backing to help them. it's possible this kid had none of it and worked his way up. that's my best guess as to why the universities extended an entrance offer to him, besides the politically correct thing.

and like ipuck said, being 11th is not so great. 11th place means 10 people ahead of you were better than you academically. that's a huge number. not 2 or 4 but 10.
NY student accepted at all 8 Ivy League schools - The Washington Post

"He has surpassed the accomplishments of some of his uncles and cousins who were accepted to several Ivies."

They specifically ask you on Ivy League applications if your have family members that have attended. That's often an important factor.

A Long Island kid who has several relatives at Ivy Leagues came from a bad place and worked his way up? I think not.

Btw, there's enough Black and non white applicants at the Ivies for them not to do or even be interested in so called tokenism.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:18 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Do people that go Ivy League tend to apply for all of them? What about the little Ivies (e.g., Williams College)? They easier or harder to get into?

Old 04-02-2014, 08:11 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I don't know his specific grades but it says he was in top 2% of his class and his SAT score definitely stands out. He's clearly a bright kid. He would be a candidate for an ivy so it's not like his race is the reason he was even considered.
top 2% is nothing for the top 3....namely Harvard, Yale & Princeton....now in Shirley LI...its even not as great school district. Rank #11 is pretty low to get accepted to the school listed above. His SAT isn't very high for the top 3 Ivys. If race wasn't a factor, he is def qualified for the rest of the IVYs just judging his rank & SAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island