Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 07:55 PM

22 posts, read 31,495 times

Advertisements

So I have narrowed it down to Kings Point. Is Hicks Ln a major street in the area? I was looking at some houses near it. I believe it is zoned from GN North and Baker elementary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 06:44 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n90hurricane View Post
Is Hicks Ln a major street in the area? .
go look in person. The answer is pretty obvious.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:23 PM

Alright, I will be making a trip there tomorrow.

15 Central Drive
7 Farmers Road
12 Blue Sea Lane
14 Twin Ponds
44 Wimbleton Lane

These are ones I might see

Old 04-11-2014, 01:58 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
Quote:
Alright, I will be making a trip there tomorrow.

15 Central Drive
7 Farmers Road
12 Blue Sea Lane
14 Twin Ponds
44 Wimbleton Lane

These are ones I might see
thanks for the play by play, please let us know when you go to the bathroom too.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:01 PM

45 posts, read 92,143 times
Quote:
I want the friends of my children (15, 12 and 6) to be blown away by the size of our house whenever we throw parties

Quote:
Hopefully this will benefit in their quest for popularity

Old 04-12-2014, 03:01 PM

821 posts, read 1,099,891 times
Quote:
. The influx of Persians & Jews is not an issue for me they are the ones that build the school, and there are other whites in the school if I remember correctly.
Does this statement imply Persians and Jews are white?

Old 04-12-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Hi. Me and my family are planning to move from Queens to Great Neck. After doing research, we have decided that the area is one that we like. The LIRR does not go through Jamaica, and because me and my husband work in Midtown, Penn Station is a good final stop.

However, there are multiple sections of Great Neck, and I do not know which is the best one to move to. Money is not that big of an issue - therefore, the section that is locally known as Kings Point seems good because the houses are big, and on Google Earth, I have seen such commodities including tennis courts and swimming pools! Because class is such a defining factor in Great Neck, that is something that might be the clincher for my house I pick - I want the friends of my children (15, 12 and 6) to be blown away by the size of our house whenever we throw parties, which my friend who lives in Manhasset has said often involves a lot of underage drinking.

I do know that the area is divided into North and South for the two different schools - although GN South reportedly is better, there is not enough diversity for my kids. We are white, and I have heard that South school is 90% Chinese. Reportedly, North has a much better racial balance, and the recent SAT scandal does not concern me because it is just one incident and hopefully does not define them. The influx of Persians & Jews is not an issue for me they are the ones that build the school, and there are other whites in the school if I remember correctly.

So, which sections of Great Neck should I check out. A house by the water is alright given that Hurricane Sandy 2.0 does not happen
Also, what is diversity going to do for your kids?

Old 04-12-2014, 04:46 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Also, what is diversity going to do for your kids?
Make them more popular. Haven't you seen every teen movie ever? The white kids are always the most popular when they're surrounded by a "diverse" supporting cast.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Make them more popular. Haven't you seen every teen movie ever? The white kids are always the most popular when they're surrounded by a "diverse" supporting cast.
Oh yes. It is the white who has to make a conscious effort to branch out and make non-white friends to be more popular and stick it to those meanie, milquetoast, authoritarian white parents who've wrongfully pre-judged their daughters grid iron star boyfriend who has a full scholarship and is headed to the big leagues.

And instead of a diverse school environment having kids confused and aimless, it enriches and "cultures" them. We wouldn't want to have them having a strong sense of solidarity and just sticking to their own culture, even though the others steadfastly stick to theirs.

I went to probably the most diverse high school in Queens and looking back, it was an utter nightmare! My friends agree.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:17 PM

So after driving around the area, I have gained better knowledge of the Great Neck area.

-- Middle Neck Road is a bit lacking in shops. There are the occasional family run businesses I see, but no big names. Restaurants seem very diverse, I hear Gino's is a popular place to eat

-- Surprisingly, the section of Great Neck called Kensington has some big houses too. There are a couple on Nassau Dr, but none of them are on sale.

-- The North schools look very nice. They aren't connected like the South ones are, but driving around they also have very good sports fields.

-- Kings Point Park is huge - what is there to do around the area?

-- Most of the houses are zoned for JFK elementary school. I hear that is one of the town's worst. Any comments on that?

Doing some more research not only around this forum, but other sites, people say that even the North side is being invaded by Chinese/asia people even though they should all be flocking to South. Is that true? And is it so severe that I should stop looking in the Great Neck area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island