Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 AM

18 posts, read 24,718 times

Advertisements

So the utilities are not that much different...

Well, at least gas is cheap I pay an equivalent of US$4.53/gal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 09:35 AM

703 posts, read 1,173,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maikuchanca View Post
Okellies, yes I know there are multiple variables that actually will determine the final outcome, still I need something average. For example here are my average monthly bills for a 2,000sq.ft home:

Gas................................$80
Water/Electricity..............$200....it is a combined bill so I can not separate these two & we are heavy users
TV/Internet/Phone/Mobile...$300....middle of the pack plans with nothing outrageous in terms of data and speed...HD

I priced out a Verizon TV/Internet/Phone bundle and mobile for about $175 so it seems much cheaper over there.

and one more...

Car Insurance..................$280.....for two cars...nothing special....mid market...3 and 9 years...clean record

If you were to throw numbers what do these numbers look vis-a-vis Long Island?
Gas: $200 / month (avg; higher in summer)
Electricity : $200/month (avg; higher in winter)
Water: $80 (avg; higher in summer and fall)
Internet/landline $100/month - if you add cable probably $40 more per month
Mobile phone: $125/month each (talk+data)
Car ins: $200/month 2 newish cars

The all in price for phone/Internet/cable/mobile are intro prices.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:40 AM

78 posts, read 134,274 times
hmm zillow app will give you all schools around area and prices.. you cant beat that. You can see it in your smart phone.. then go to each school that you like neighborhoods and see the kind of parents that have kids there.. that's a start...

Old 04-15-2014, 04:56 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
We buy our electiricty from you. Yours is chepaer.

Bear in mind, when you say gas, do you mean for appliances only? Most Long Island homes are heated by oil or gas and a minority use electric heat. Look into the price of oil for home heating plus the cost of gas for range and dryer.

Unless, someone is living in a real slum type of dwelling, everyone here has central heat. Central air is less common, that's why you are seeing window A/Cs. If you are seeing any space heaters, well sometimes, we need those as a supplement, especially when we have a harsh winter as we did this year. Of course, our winters will nto seem very severe to you, but snow removal is not as good as what you are used to at home.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Unless, someone is living in a real slum type of dwelling, everyone here has central heat. Central air is less common, that's why you are seeing window A/Cs. If you are seeing any space heaters, well sometimes, we need those as a supplement, especially when we have a harsh winter as we did this year. Of course, our winters will nto seem very severe to you, but snow removal is not as good as what you are used to at home.

I think it depends on the area. By our old neighborhood, we were plowed in for a day and a half. In our current one, there were no less than 2 plows going by at least once an hour.

Now potholes on the other hand...geez what a mess.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:30 AM

Thank you all for your replies. It really helped to make our decision. daisyLI, those numbers were really helpful.

We had a soul searching discussion with my wife and talked about the opportunity and what it would mean to us on a grander scale.....and we decided not to take it. Once again thank you all for providing all the information. I have learned so much about Long Island that now I want to come and visit

Old 04-16-2014, 08:15 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
Glad we could help

Old 04-16-2014, 08:58 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maikuchanca View Post
Thank you all for your replies. It really helped to make our decision. daisyLI, those numbers were really helpful.

We had a soul searching discussion with my wife and talked about the opportunity and what it would mean to us on a grander scale.....and we decided not to take it. Once again thank you all for providing all the information. I have learned so much about Long Island that now I want to come and visit
Haha no you don't..its ok to be honest... This area is suffering from more departures than incoming new residents. I am honestly not surprised and was watching this thread with interest because lately, on C-D and in the local newspapers (ie Newsday), I see MORE stories about people and companies/jobs LEAVING Long Island than coming INTO Long Island. The exorbitant price of housing and high property/school taxes across the better performing school districts have always been a problem and are one of the reasons most people complain about lower quality of life here.

Either way, best of luck!

Old 04-16-2014, 02:14 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
lately, on C-D and in the local newspapers (ie Newsday), I see MORE stories about people and companies/jobs LEAVING Long Island than coming INTO Long Island.
This does not apply to the north shore neighborhoods.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:51 PM

This is a roller coaster ride...now, we are back in the game (things have changed). I am convinced to come, it is now just a matter of convincing my wife. You may know how it is, no matter how great, if she does not like it then I may be confined to a life of nagging ...sorry to all the ladies out there reading this, but hey that could be my reality

Anyways, we are actually going to go there tomorrow....probably drive over night to hit the border after midnight to avoid the holiday rush hour. The bridges at Niagara and Buffalo can get totally packed on holidays.

Quick question, it is Easter, are the stores going to be open?....just asking as she wants to take in the atmosphere, the people, etc.....I am talking like grocery stores. Anything affected by the holidays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island