Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:14 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Indeed they'll survive but at his current comp (20K today, maybe 30K next year - LI area), they'll be living above poverty level in most major metro areas with almost no cushion to raise kids. No telling what F will be making when she finishes her studies. 5 years won't be enough to bump their comp up to a more comfortable level.

I think the concerns are more than just being near family.
I think they'll find that they can work/live in other areas and have a quite nice standard of living. Yes salaries could potentially be lower depending on their fields but their COL will be lower also. You mention a major metro area, who says that they will choose that? They may prefer a smaller area or even a rural one, I don't know. People do survive off the island and they may find this is best for them, it's their decision not the families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 07:50 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I think they'll find that they can work/live in other areas and have a quite nice standard of living. Yes salaries could potentially be lower depending on their fields but their COL will be lower also. You mention a major metro area, who says that they will choose that? They may prefer a smaller area or even a rural one, I don't know. People do survive off the island and they may find this is best for them, it's their decision not the families.
The question to ask is - what is it that he does for a living such that he commands only a 20K to 30K comp in LI/NYC metro. That's much lower than what a night shift black car service driver in NYC makes. If his job skills are such that he can only pull max 30K here, how much can his job skills command to pay for the COL in Nashville or Omaha? If his skills are very low demand here, they will be low demand elsewhere and he will take a very big pay cut. If he makes 50K here as a junior IT programmer, then that's another story.

Rural areas - am not so sure. The population has been fleeing rural areas nationwide since 2006 and this is happening for a good reason. Could be another penalty to their QOL which they are not willing to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
EDIT: You mentioned making 65,000 together. I hate to burst your bubble, but that number has to go up a whole lot more. Who knows, in the 2-2.5 years you plan to buy, your salary could go up more than that. Just keep saving though.
Not only that. Based on previous posts, the 65K looks disproportionately skewed towards the fiancee's contribution.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:58 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
How old are you guys?

If your fiancé wants to live her life on Long Island to be close to family, and you don't think you're going to be able to stomach living there for your whole life, you need to think long and hard about how compatible you really are. Long Island is filled with "I would live in a slum to be close to my family" types. Can you live with that? I've honestly had my eyes opened to the fact that this is a purely LI mindset. I know people from all over the country here - hell, all over the world - and the idea that you would hold yourself back to be close to your family is mind boggling to most people. But maybe that's why I literally do not know one family with a college grad living at home. I've got 5-6 neighbors who have kids who've graduated college in the past 2-3 years and they all moved out within months of graduation. Must be something in the water on LI.

If you are married, you're family is your spouse (and children, when applicable).

Long Islanders are obsessed with living near family. Frequently to their own detriment.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 AM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The question to ask is - what is it that he does for a living such that he commands only a 20K to 30K comp in LI/NYC metro. That's much lower than what a night shift black car service driver in NYC makes. If his job skills are such that he can only pull max 30K here, how much can his job skills command to pay for the COL in Nashville or Omaha? If his skills are very low demand here, they will be low demand elsewhere and he will take a very big pay cut.

Rural areas - am not so sure. The population has been fleeing rural areas nationwide since 2006 and this is happening for a good reason. Could be another penalty to their QOL which they are not willing to take.

If you read his other threads, he already told us his career. The way it is now, there is little chance for a major salary increase. OP mentioned about getting re-trained, new career, starting school again or trying again to get a foot in the door in the film industry. This sounds like this is fiancee's first serious relationship. Anyway, that's for a different forum, but they sound a little naive. I don't know about Omaha, but I don't think, based on their other threads, that Nashville would be a good fit for them (and it's not so cheap any more). If your career is unsettled and you are thinking of trying something else, I'd wait a while before making a home purchase. A lot also depends on what kind of social work Fiancee will do after graduation. She could get a stable civil service gig, but depending on the nature of the job, many burn out early (childcare welfare case worker, etc.). or it doesn't pay all that well, unless she goes into private clinical practice, depending on degree, license, area of concentration.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:15 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
I am in my early 30s and she is in her mid-20s. I am fine with living on Long Island as long as the taxes are low and as long as we can live comfortably without "living to work".
1. Taxes will always go up, you need to budget for this because this is why housing becomes unaffordable for 2-income families.

2. Unless you or the fiancee are trust fund babies or own a business that will generate millions, you will always "live to work". All it takes is a medical emergency or job loss to cause you to fall behind in bills, mortgage payment, for the house of cards to crumble.

At combined $65K/yr, you would best be served looking for a starter condo or co-op in the $200K range or less and you just may not find that on Long Island because the taxes will break your budget. At $65K/yr, I bought a condo in Queens back in 2006 and that was pushing it because I didn't have any extra cash to buy a car or take any vacations. Maintenance fees will vary from building to building and you can shop around for something that fits your budget.

Another thing to consider is - if you are unable to prove you have a steady income revenue, it is unlikely a bank may approve you for a high mortgage loan anyway. Banks, now more than ever before, are stricter with lending standards. They want to see 3+ to 6+ months of paystubs showing a stable income. They want to see high FICO scores and depending on the particular bank, several thousand dollars in cash reserves in your savings accounts AFTER a closing so they will rest assured you can afford the mortgage, taxes plus any other unforeseen costs (ie roof repair, maintenance, etc). You also mentioned receiving cash from relatives for help toward a downpayment, so that means more loopholes to jump through (see http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/re...ents.html?_r=0)

Lastly, asking about homes when you aren't planning to seriously buy any property until 2016 is a waste of people's time and yours. 2016 is 2 years away and the market could change, and interest rates are unlikely to remain stable. Your financial situation could be better in 2016, but it could also be worse. Maybe you will have to deal with a pregnancy, or a kids or pet to take care of. You simply do not know. Asking about "what homes can I buy for $200/250K on Long Island" is just silly because the answers may be completely different in 2 years due to market changes. If you want feedback about specific TOWNS or neighborhoods, there are plenty of old threads you could read on C-D by utilizing the Search feature.

Last edited by LegalDiva; 04-16-2014 at 08:34 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 08:17 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,274 times
Get out. Keep in touch with your family via Skype and send them a Christmas card. Even if you eventually bump up your salary, Long Island property taxes will force you to live for work. The insane poor quality of life people pigeon hole themselves into, just to be "close to family" is mind boggling.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:19 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
1. Taxes will always go up, you need to budget for this because this is why housing becomes unaffordable for 2-income families.

2. Unless you or the fiancee are trust fund babies or own a business that will generate millions, you will always "live to work". All it takes is a medical emergency or job loss to cause you to fall behind in bills, mortgage payment, for the house of cards to crumble.

At combined $65K/yr, you would best be served looking for a starter condo or co-op in the $200K range or less and you just may not find that on Long Island because the taxes will break your budget. At $65K/yr, I bought a condo in Queens back in 2006 and that was pushing it because I didn't have a car at the time and didn't have any money left over to get one. Another thing to consider is - if you are unable to prove you have a steady income revenue, it is unlikely a bank may approve you for a high mortgage loan
anyway.

Lastly, asking about homes when you aren't planning to seriously buy any property until 2016 is a waste of people's time and yours. 2016 is 2 years away and the market could change, and interest rates are unlikely to remain stable. Your financial situation could be better in 2016, but it could also be worse. Maybe your fiancee will be pregnant before then. You simply do not know. Asking about "what homes can I buy for $200/250K on Long Island" is just silly because the answers may be completely different in 2 years due to market changes. If you want feed back about specific TOWNS or neighborhoods, there are plenty of old threads you could read on C-D by utilizing the Search feature.
Every thread this OP starts is the same thing...a list of unrealistic (and no where similar towns) that he looked up that he would like to live in, when he starts looking in 2 and half years.

ENOUGH already!!

You're gross income right now is $65K, meaning your net (take home) is probably somewhere around the $35-$40K range...no where near enough to be looking for a house at this time. You're still working in a dead end job at this time. You need to get your career on track, then worry about where you're going to live. You'll never make it at this time.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:24 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
If you read his other threads, he already told us his career. The way it is now, there is little chance for a major salary increase. OP mentioned about getting re-trained, new career, starting school again or trying again to get a foot in the door in the film industry. This sounds like this is fiancee's first serious relationship. Anyway, that's for a different forum, but they sound a little naive. I don't know about Omaha, but I don't think, based on their other threads, that Nashville would be a good fit for them (and it's not so cheap any more). If your career is unsettled and you are thinking of trying something else, I'd wait a while before making a home purchase. A lot also depends on what kind of social work Fiancee will do after graduation. She could get a stable civil service gig, but depending on the nature of the job, many burn out early (childcare welfare case worker, etc.). or it doesn't pay all that well, unless she goes into private clinical practice, depending on degree, license, area of concentration.
This. And with municipalities nationwide trimming their budgets, F's ability to multiply her own comp will be capped wherever they move. And it does not look like she relishes being the primary breadwinner in perpetuity.

What it all boils down to is that if they get married and start on their own, they will likely see a big reduction in their QOL and financial standing wherever they move to. While I personally do not see this as an obstacle to getting married, at least F sounds like she has strong reservations about it and this is what is really driving her desire to be closer to family.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:05 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Why anyone would stay here and be poor is mind boggling. If you know you wont be able to live comfortably here why stay? Believe me it gets even harder when the kids come. Pack up and move on.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Get out. Keep in touch with your family via Skype and send them a Christmas card. Even if you eventually bump up your salary, Long Island property taxes will force you to live for work. The insane poor quality of life people pigeon hole themselves into, just to be "close to family" is mind boggling.
Let's not steretype everyone here. There are a multitude of reasons why people chose to live in extremely frugal conditions here, not just due to lower incomes/salaries or reluctance to live outside the NY/NJ metro area for cheaper housing/COL. Childcare costs are not cheap - in the long term, most families decide its easier to remain here with free childcare vs. toughing it out elsewhere with no famly/friends or similar social/emotional support.

Let's also not forget to address the elephant in the room - which is that NYC is the mecca of cities for career/ job opportunities and employment. If my husband and I could find the equivalent of our current jobs that pay 6 figures in Scranton, PA - we would contemplate moving. But the fact is, Scranton PA and other cheaper towns simply do not offer these higher paying jobs, hence why people move to big cities like NY, LA, SF, etc and tough it out with everyone else for larger spaced housing in the 'burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island