Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:08 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,246 times

Advertisements

We left NY for good 9 years ago this year. Our parents gave us the confidence we needed to be successful no matter where we chose to live. As a result of leaving the area and the fact that we are thriving in our jobs in our adopted home, we were able to purchase a second home for my in-laws to live in last year so now they are just 10 minutes away.

Plus, having another house is generating wealth that will someday go to our kids so they won't have to struggle when they get older. We will encourage them to follow their dreams and go where life takes them just like our parents did. Even though they are native Texans, I bet they will want to live in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 05:24 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
No, it is not essential. I do not have one, and neither do several other posters.

Obviously you have money problems, or you wouldn't have to resort to a job that literally leaves you no time for anything but working, commuting, and sleeping.

If you dropped your smart phone data plan and maybe cut out some other luxuries, you could afford a job on LI.

If you lived close to your job, you wouldn't have to spend that much on gas. Far less than what you pay for the LIRR.

At least in my field, most NYC firms have very strict, formal dress codes, while the LI firm that I work for has a very casual dress code. So I pay very little for clothes, while my peers working in NYC have to own several expensive suits.

A smart phone data plan is not part of a livable wage.
A smart phone is essential. There are apps that can literally save your life.

Also smart phones have a flashlight. Ever try changing a tire in the dark? Bet you wish you would have had a smart phone.

There is an app that can read your texts to you in a voice so you dont have to text & drive. I dont know about you but i think that is something that can save a life.

Also I didnt "resort" to this job. I chose it. I could have had jobs with less hours. I didnt want those particular offers. You know I have weekends off so I do actually hang with friends & family & do things orher than work, sleep & commute. I am also married and I have young nieces and I still have the time to make my living, see friends & fam and have time for myself.

If I took a job on LI that would entail a paycut. Why on earth would i want to do that especially when I am the higher earner btwn me and my husband?

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 04-17-2014 at 06:10 PM..

Old 04-17-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
We left NY for good 9 years ago this year. Our parents gave us the confidence we needed to be successful no matter where we chose to live. As a result of leaving the area and the fact that we are thriving in our jobs in our adopted home, we were able to purchase a second home for my in-laws to live in last year so now they are just 10 minutes away.

Plus, having another house is generating wealth that will someday go to our kids so they won't have to struggle when they get older. We will encourage them to follow their dreams and go where life takes them just like our parents did. Even though they are native Texans, I bet they will want to live in NY.
Glad you were able to thrive elsewhere but it is also possible to thrive on LI as well. Many people do.

Hope you are enjoying yourselves

Old 04-17-2014, 07:57 PM

239 posts, read 413,777 times
To the original poster:

You're so very lucky.

You have family, a love, time - a window of time to reinvent yourselves.

That's my advice.

I've posted many times that people seek advice, but invariably do what's in their hearts.

I came up gently, had a reversal of fortune, and crawled my way back without help.

In the end, love of family and friends is everything.

Look forward to when you're in your peak earning years (the 40s), you will look back (hopefully,only on occasion), and sleep well.

This is only a blip in the game of life. Never be afraid.

I look at life like a Roulette Wheel.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:08 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
A smart phone is essential.
No, it is not. It is a luxury.

Quote:
There are apps that can literally save your life.

Also smart phones have a flashlight. Ever try changing a tire in the dark? Bet you wish you would have had a smart phone.
No, I use a real flashlight, which doesn't require a monthly fee.

Quote:
There is an app that can read your texts to you in a voice so you dont have to text & drive. I dont know about you but i think that is something that can save a life.
I don't text and drive. Any text can wait until I'm finished driving. If I absolutely have to respond to a text, I'll pull over in a safe place.

Quote:
Also I didnt "resort" to this job. I chose it. I could have had jobs with less hours. I didnt want those particular offers. You know I have weekends off so I do actually hang with friends & family & do things orher than work, sleep & commute. I am also married and I have young nieces and I still have the time to make my living, see friends & fam and have time for myself.
Not based on my math.

Quote:
If I took a job on LI that would entail a paycut. Why on earth would i want to do that especially when I am the higher earner btwn me and my husband?
A job on LI would give you far more free time, and would actually allow you to enjoy your money. Why on earth would I want a job that gives me less free time, regardless of how much money I make?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 PM

239 posts, read 413,777 times
Anyway...
can't we stay on topic?

Dear Mits,
To my last entry:

How obnoxious of you.

Old 04-17-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
No, it is not. It is a luxury.

No, I use a real flashlight, which doesn't require a monthly fee.

I don't text and drive. Any text can wait until I'm finished driving. If I absolutely have to respond to a text, I'll pull over in a safe place.

Not based on my math.

A job on LI would give you far more free time, and would actually allow you to enjoy your money. Why on earth would I want a job that gives me less free time, regardless of how much money I make?
So you have a flashlight in your glove compartment?

"Not on your math??" Bc you know about my job situation, right? Bc you know the offers I got and what I do for a living? Please tell me what you know about my job.

When did I complain about a lack of free time? The amount of free time I have is just fine.

I dont know how old you are but I suspect I am younger. Most ppl would consider a smart phone to be essential. If you dont thats fine, but I would wager most feel differently.

Pulling over isnt always option

Old 04-17-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagafrika View Post
Anyway...
can't we stay on topic?

Dear Mits,
To my last entry:

How obnoxious of you.
I didn't even reply to your last entry, since it wasn't about or directed at me. So how can you say I was obnoxious?

Old 04-17-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
So you have a flashlight in your glove compartment?
I have one in the back of my car.

Quote:
"Not on your math??" Bc you know about my job situation, right? Bc you know the offers I got and what I do for a living? Please tell me what you know about my job.
You said that your door to door commute is 3 hours each way. I did the math.

Quote:
When did I complain about a lack of free time? The amount of free time I have is just fine.
You have basically no free time, yet you seem ok with it. I wouldn't be ok with it.

Quote:
I dont know how old you are but I suspect I am younger. Most ppl would consider a smart phone to be essential. If you dont thats fine, but I would wager most feel differently.
How can it be essential, when people lived without them for a long time, and some (like myself) still live without them? Are you going to tell starving people in Africa that a smart phone is essential?

Quote:
Pulling over isnt always option
Then I wait until it is an option. The only place where I can think of where pulling over isn't an option is on the parkways, since they lack shoulders. So you get off at the next exit, and pull over or go into a parking lot. Not that hard!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
I have one in the back of my car.

You said that your door to door commute is 3 hours each way. I did the math.

You have basically no free time, yet you seem ok with it. I wouldn't be ok with it.

How can it be essential, when people lived without them for a long time, and some (like myself) still live without them? Are you going to tell starving people in Africa that a smart phone is essential?

Then I wait until it is an option. The only place where I can think of where pulling over isn't an option is on the parkways, since they lack shoulders. So you get off at the next exit, and pull over or go into a parking lot. Not that hard!
Ok well I think the majority of ppl dont have flashlights in their cars so for those people a smart phone is a good option if you need a source of light. What if you were in your friend's car who didn't have a flashlight and neither of you had a smart phone and you needed to change a tire, I think you'd prob hope you had a smart phone. Also there is an app that acts a panic button. Fortunately I have one on my car key, not everyone does. If you had a daughter and she didnt have a key with a panic button, wouldnt it make you feel better to know she could have a cell phone with one it that could potentially save her life? This is why I'd argue a smart phone is essential. It could absolutely save a life.

I have no free time?? You know there are Saturdays & Sundays right? I also get 3 weeks vacation and 10 holidays off. I'd say I have plenty of free time. I've been all over Europe. I suppose traveling doesnt require free time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island