Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 05:51 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would actually rather give up my car than my smartphone. I walk & take trains to work and my husband has a car. I def dont consider a car essential but a smart phone I do.

I'm no good at driving anyway and my driving certainly is not doing anyone any favours!
NEITHER is essential if you learn how to adapt.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:27 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Boy I did not think this thread was going to last this long. I just started thinking about the show extreme cheapskates. LOL

Old 04-18-2014, 07:03 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Boy I did not think this thread was going to last this long. I just started thinking about the show extreme cheapskates. LOL
The thread has been taken over and is now fully engulfed in the vortex!

Old 04-18-2014, 07:23 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
For those of you who have smart phones, I have a question: since the data plan is a new cost that previously did not exist, what did you cut out of your life to save money in order to afford the extra cost? Or do you just save less money? If the latter, then you are the reason why our economy is in the mess that it's in; because of people spending money that they don't have.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:31 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
For those of you who have smart phones, I have a question: since the data plan is a new cost that previously did not exist, what did you cut out of your life to save money in order to afford the extra cost? Or do you just save less money? If the latter, then you are the reason why our economy is in the mess that it's in; because of people spending money that they don't have.
I gave up gambling, drugs, sex with prostitutes, alcohol and cigarettes so the phone is actually saving me money

Old 04-18-2014, 07:36 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Seeing I am off the island and not burdened with the taxes and daily living expenses like you are I have disposable income....

Amazing how you can wrap the entire economic collapse of the last several years and squarely place the blame on smart phones...

Last edited by VA Yankee; 04-18-2014 at 07:45 PM..

Old 04-18-2014, 07:52 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
You can get a data plan for around $50 if you want.

I didnt say their service was great but Sprint or Tmobile has good prices. Verizon may have the best service but it is also the priciest.

I personally dont care if you get one or not b/c I dont know you, but it seems like you are gung no about it before even shopping around. I like pro & con lists, they help make decisions.

If you continue to go without, well then I hope you are not ever in a life or death situation b/c you will be praying you had one.

I bought my parents one. They are in their 70's and they were like you with their feelings. I downloaded basic apps for them that I thought would help them. They dont use it much but all 3 of us like the piece of mind that it provides.

Something else to think about is that when the power goes out, your computer wont work but your phone will.
But your cell phone has to be recharged at some point.
During Sandy, I didn't have any power like everyone else, but that old fashioned copper wire phone plugged into an old-fashioned jack was still functioning.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:25 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
During Sandy, I didn't have any power like everyone else, but that old fashioned copper wire phone plugged into an old-fashioned jack was still functioning.
Repped!

Have a wonderful brand new "smart phone" but only use a prepaid minutes plan. While it would be interesting to see what all the fuss is over various gee golly willikers features, the cheapest data plan runs about $20/month (T-Mobile) which works out to $240 per year. Not in the years I've had a cell phone have I *EVER* used that much. Indeed one of the reasons went to prepaid/no contract because got sick of paying for minutes one never used and being locked contractually into them as well.

But then again am not one of these persons for whom a smart phone has become a tethered appendage. I don't walk down streets/driving on roads with my head buried in the thing. Nor do I spend endless hours "chatting" about a whole bunch of nothing in a voice loud enough to let God and the world know my business.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:29 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
But no data, and they won't let you have a smart phone without a data plan.
Then purchase your own phone and head over to places like T-Mobile that will be more than happy to sign you up for any plan you like.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
You can charge it in your car if you need to.

If you get ur phone service through the cable co it doesnt function when the power goes out I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island