U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2007, 08:49 AM
 
706 posts, read 2,493,755 times
Reputation: 323

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I believe the OP is upset because NYS taxpayer money went to the ANG to help purchase this facility for parkland, only to learn that the general public (whose tax dollars helped defray expenses) can not use the park they helped save.
If that is the case, then why shouldn't the poster be peeved?

Hell, folks with long money aren't called "privileged" for nothing.

These extra "perks" don't seem quite fair to me.

Also, as used here, terms like "riff raff", "bad elements" and such seem to imply that folks who can afford to live there, or higher income folk in general, are necessarily good and moral as opposed to lower-income folk and immigrants (I don't use the term "aliens" as I associate that moreso with some outerspace movie type stuff.)

I'v seen this faulty "income/good character" implication on other threads throughout this site.

The truth of the matter is that income and finances do not determine character and/or sound mind.

I've a background in mental health and I've counseled children, teens and adults from various economic backgrounds, from the lowest to the highest, from shelters to luxurious living, and as someone who has also lived various lifestyles myself, I have news for some of you -

although there may be more street crime (open drug dealing, crimes associated with drug use, muggings and and such) in lower-income areas,

there are some very sad stories and horrendous crimes taking place behind big pillars and within the walls of beautiful, luxurious homes.

Some folks on this board DO come off snooty, pretentious

and in some threads prejudiced as well.

Instead of anybody being offended, sometimes we need to check our thinking and see if we're prejudging and embracing stereotypes and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2007, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
13,862 posts, read 16,317,494 times
Reputation: 4662
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaReed View Post
If that is the case, then why shouldn't the poster be peeved?

Hell, folks with long money aren't called "privileged" for nothing.

These extra "perks" don't seem quite fair to me.

Also, as used here, terms like "riff raff", "bad elements" and such seem to imply that folks who can afford to live there, or higher income folk in general, are necessarily good and moral as opposed to lower-income folk and immigrants (I don't use the term "aliens" as I associate that moreso with some outerspace movie type stuff.)

I'v seen this faulty "income/good character" implication on other threads throughout this site.

The truth of the matter is that income and finances do not determine character and/or sound mind.

I've a background in mental health and I've counseled children, teens and adults from various economic backgrounds, from the lowest to the highest, from shelters to luxurious living, and as someone who has also lived various lifestyles myself, I have news for some of you -

although there may be more street crime (open drug dealing, crimes associated with drug use, muggings and and such) in lower-income areas,

there are some very sad stories and horrendous crimes taking place behind big pillars and within the walls of beautiful, luxurious homes.

Some folks on this board DO come off snooty, pretentious

and in some threads prejudiced as well.

Instead of anybody being offended, sometimes we need to check our thinking and see if we're prejudging and embracing stereotypes and all.
The original poster was shot down or dismissed in a few posts for expressing his dismay over the exclusionary tactics taken by the village in which the parkland lies; I certainly understand his dismay. East Hills has made their park exclusive to the members of the community in order to keep out transients (i.e. renters) and people from neighboring areas. If East Hills hadn't accepted public money to acquire the ANG property, they could do as they wished and discriminate freely. East Hills utilized public money.

I don't have the OP in front of me, so please excuse me if I don't recall it verbatim. If he had written anything prejudiced or inflammatory, he weakened his point; after all, a person can feel strongly about something without having to resort to name calling or stereotyping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2007, 12:53 PM
 
1,359 posts, read 3,793,270 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The original poster was shot down or dismissed in a few posts for expressing his dismay over the exclusionary tactics taken by the village in which the parkland lies; I certainly understand his dismay. East Hills has made their park exclusive to the members of the community in order to keep out transients (i.e. renters) and people from neighboring areas. If East Hills hadn't accepted public money to acquire the ANG property, they could do as they wished and discriminate freely. East Hills utilized public money.

I don't have the OP in front of me, so please excuse me if I don't recall it verbatim. If he had written anything prejudiced or inflammatory, he weakened his point; after all, a person can feel strongly about something without having to resort to name calling or stereotyping.
Can anyone prove that they used public money? In lib-filled New York, I have a hard time believing this to be the case. It may be true, but surprising if it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 01:18 AM
 
Location: Westbury,NY
2,529 posts, read 4,439,301 times
Reputation: 916
From what I understand, state and county money went toward the NEGOTIATIONS between the Village of East Hills and the feds, and village money want toward the actual purchase.
So the village recieved outside help. If the village did this all on their own, I would not be upset with their policies regarding the park. It was because of those negotiations they got the land for such a low price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2007, 02:26 PM
 
1,359 posts, read 3,793,270 times
Reputation: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
From what I understand, state and county money went toward the NEGOTIATIONS between the Village of East Hills and the feds, and village money want toward the actual purchase.
So the village recieved outside help. If the village did this all on their own, I would not be upset with their policies regarding the park. It was because of those negotiations they got the land for such a low price.
So, now you're upset they got help negotiating...me thinks that no matter what happened you wouldn't like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:12 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top