U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 09:05 PM

531 posts, read 530,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Hicksville looks the same as it did 13 years ago when we were there. Not better or worse. We often still go to Broadway mall and pass right through the LIRR area.
Sorry, I have to disagree. The poster who mentioned the new influx of Indians and Pakistanis has replaced the largely Irish and German working class. The town is looking very ragged and the suburban sprawl has reached critical mass.

The most vital part of town is the Ikea at the Broadway Mall.

I think a good barometer for the town is the former VFW hall. 10 years ago, the VFW Hall was converted to a Pakistani community center. About 5 years ago, the community center building was made into a Pakistani restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:20 AM

7,956 posts, read 9,961,184 times
The Indians were already moving in when we were there. Broadway (the road) was already converted for the most part when we left, but it always had a gloomy industrial feel to it even when the DMV was there (I grew up in the area too). In other words, it was always ragged-looking. It has been missing that tree-lined street feel that would make it much more pleasant. This goes for the area from Newbridge (which is actually not bad) all the way down toward Cantiague. All down Woodbury Rd looks much nicer - tree canopy.

The IKEA is near the border of town. If you're talking about the homes behind it, I don't know who's moving in there but the area itself is not better or worse (as I said). If anything, Indians moving in is better than others who tend to rent and couldn't care less about the property. I'm not sure what the VFW hall changing to Indians has anything to do with the area getting worse. White flight is a problem, but that doesn't necessarily make the place worse for safety or aesthetics.

The entire mall is a huge attraction to the area. The fact that they're continually improving upon it (details below) is a good sign. And they're upgrading the LIRR station before 2020 a bit too (though costly). Until safety is really a concern, I think this whole thread is more sensationalism.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-12-2015 at 07:32 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 06:42 AM

Fyi:
Quote:
april 21 at 2:13pm
broadway mall update...
Dear friends and neighbors,
the new owners of the broadway mall in hicksville broke ground this week on some exciting new renovations and enhancements that will be completed just in time for the 2015 holiday season!
In phase i, the new operators announced 3 new leaseholders including; a new blink fitness, blaze pizza and noodles & company. The blink fitness will be located in front of the mall next to the parking structure with an exterior entrance. Noodles & company, will be located in the space formerly held by ruby tuesday. Blaze pizza, a new upscale establishment, will be filling johnny rockets former location along a corridor that will be dedicated to restaurant use. The golf store will remain outside, but the dentist will move into the mall to join other similar service facilities in the area such as the optical stores. South of the border will be moving into the mall along the new restaurant row. Fredericks of hollywood is in bankruptcy and will be closing. The new operators are seeking new tenants, merchants and national chain vendors to supplement the existing stores.
The 10 million dollar renovation will include a new beautiful front façade and main entrance with energy efficient state of the art led lighting. There will be new flooring, earth tone wall colors, new skylights, comfortable upholstered seating areas conveniently equipped with wi-fi and charging stations, and parking lot repairs.
Currently the owner is entertaining an application for a chic-fil-a for the pad site where south of the border is currently located, and is in dialog with the town regarding a special use permit for the fast food restaurant to operate a drive-thru.
The mall will remain open throughout the renovation process, with the majority of work planned for evenings and off-hours to accommodate shoppers.
Phase ii which is not planned until 2016 will address the food court. In the interim, subway sandwich will be re-opening at its current food court location in june 2015, and there will be a new grill house whose specialty is hot dogs. The only vacancy will be the former site of sbarro until a new tenant is located.
The new mall owner is interested in a family oriented, greener operation, and is looking forward to working with the community on charitable ventures in the future.
More to come…
carol meschkow, president
concerned citizens of the plainview-old bethpage community, inc.
& neighbor-to-neighbor watch program
Home Page

Old 05-12-2015, 09:28 AM

33 posts, read 24,237 times
The Plainview Road area through to East Marie Street. You'd lock your doors driving through there. No longer "tree lined" as they cut down all the trees.
There are nicer areas, but the down town is depressing and shabby at best. The areas near the train station that were never that great, are now down right dangerous. The area south of Old Country Road is better, as the stores and strip malls are newer. However, they are primarily Indian. Which is fine if you're Indian. Google "little India"...Hicksville pops up. While the Indian population was here 13 years ago and one might say Hicksville was cuturally diverse. Now, it's primarily Indian who are moving in. Then they sell, or rent out the homes (which has been the case on my block)..and move on to Dix Hills and other more affluent area. This is much like the Hillside Ave area of Bellerose-Floral Park.
Our neighbors are selling out. Little by little the quality of life has gotten worse.
I've got neighbors that sold their house a year ago. Current owners rent it out to off campus housing for Post. Great, bunch of drunk college kids who put the indoor furniture outside on the driveway and play beer pong. Not against town code unless their are two kitchens in there.
Across the street from them, another neighbor sold. The new owners rent the home. The lovely tenants park their cars on the grass of their FRONT YARD. Yep, all against town code. Try getting someone down to look at it. Of course when they show up, the tenant is at work and the car isn't on the lawn. (although the grass is obviously worn from where the tires are). I've got neighbors that think it's fine to simply keep their garbage out at the curb all week rather than place it there the night before pick up. I've called sanitation, they come they leave them a notice, and the following week it's back to the same old thing.

We recently had an incident where an extremely intoxicated man was banging wildly on the front door to the home of a single divorced woman on our street. She was terrified. He was screaming for to open the door at 3 a.m. She called the police as this man kept screaming for her to let him in to HIS house. She had NO clue who this guy was. Police came, he wasn't even arrested (thanks 2nd precinct, but I diverse)...he was taken to hospital to dry out. His "bike" which this grown man used for transportation, was left on her front lawn. Needless to say she doesn't sleep so well at night any longer.
Hand to God, you can't make this stuff up. I never would have thought 25 years ago, this would be our town.So, yes...Hicksville has really changed...and Town Of Oyster Bay officials couldn't care less. They are too busy responding to complaints from those in the wealthier areas of Jericho or Plainview to bother with lowly Hicksville. (..and I ought to know since I've lived in Jericho and still have ties to that area). You call or file a complaint, and it's investigated.
Hicksville, ...don't hold your breath.

Last edited by srq57; 05-12-2015 at 09:50 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 09:48 AM

should I start talking about all the one-off home invasions and car windows being broken in Plainview, Syosset, etc.?

I'm not sure why Indians would move to Hicksville (where all their comrades and stores now are), only to move away to a primarily white area like Dix Hills. They want to be where "Little India" is, or at least close. The decline you speak of is not their doing or their fault. That's the way Hicksville has been for decades - tons of rentals, before they started moving in.

Quote:
The Plainview Road area through to East Marie Street. You'd lock your doors driving through there. No longer "tree lined" as they cut down all the trees.
They took down those trees over 15-20 years ago, but it looks well kept with dwarf trees and clean pavement/sidewalks. Triangle park was a refreshing project - my cousin takes her toddlers there all the time. _If_ that neighborhood has gotten worse, it's not because of the Indians. It's always because of renters, always.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-12-2015 at 10:04 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 10:21 AM

137 posts, read 107,309 times
Hicksville "dangerous"?!?! Haw haw. Some people need to get out more.

Despite the "shabby" downtown, every home within proximity of the HS and MS is being flipped or reno'd into a mini mcmansion. The mall has been getting facelift after facelift. The district's test scores are going up. Commercial base growing (thank you Indian businesses) so taxes staying moderate (by LI standards). Despite our known resident scaredy cat JIW and his roving camera, Hicksville is one of the few places (like Farmingdale, Huntington, Patchogue, Bay Shore) that is actually getting it right.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
should I start talking about all the one-off home invasions and car windows being broken in Plainview, Syosset, etc.?

I'm not sure why Indians would move to Hicksville (where all their comrades and stores now are), only to move away to a primarily white area like Dix Hills. They want to be where "Little India" is, or at least close. The decline you speak of is not their doing or their fault. That's the way Hicksville has been for decades - tons of rentals, before they started moving in.

They took down those trees over 15-20 years ago, but it looks well kept with dwarf trees and clean pavement/sidewalks. Triangle park was a refreshing project - my cousin takes her toddlers there all the time. _If_ that neighborhood has gotten worse, it's not because of the Indians. It's always because of renters, always.
I'm not sure the homeowners who reside on Plainview Road appreciate all the cars and traffic in front of their homes on weekends from the soccer games at Triangle park. The park itself is nice,I took my children there for years. However, there isn't nearly enough parking to accommodate the vehicles that it attracts on weekends.It's not the peaceful enclave of tree lined streets to which you referred earlier. In my opinion those dwarf trees have sticks holding them up better looking than the the tree's themselves. It's an ugly cement highway. As you head west toward Park Ave you will find one shabby looking rental home after another. (remembering of course there are no 2 family homes in the Town of Oyster Bay, however it seems most of these are "grandfathered". ) I assure you, the owners of those home, do NOT live there. Last summer, One home had the front porch closed in with ply wood and chicken wire so as to use it for additional rental space. Many of these homes are rented to migrant workers. Visit the area at 6- 7 a.m. on a summer day, and you will find landscapers looking to hire those that gather there for day labor.
THIS has gotten worse in the 13 years since you have left Hicksville.
The bus traffic alone is horrible. Many of us have complained to the county regarding the speed of these busses traveling through what is supposed to be a residential neighborhood and a school zone. No school speed zone traps there. Nope, that would interfere with the County bus service. We were told the buss has a schedule to keep, thus having them obey the speed limit is not on their radar. It's also a county road and not a TOB road. So we have two different municipalities to deal with.

I would agree that the decline in Hicksville, is not due to the Indian population moving in. That simply is what it is. However, the community dynamic has changed in the 13 years since you have lived here. The former Irish and German populations have moved on. Our customers in Belleorse are primarily of Indian decent. My neighbors next to me and across the street are Indian (actually Pakistani) While you may not understand why the Indian population would move on to other areas. Many SHOP here, but they don't necessarily live here. There aren't many Indian doctors residing in Hicksville. They reside in more affluent areas of the Island. Many families come here directly from India, stay a while and move on. (many move on because the school system is not to their liking) Often, they rent out their homes. This has been the case on our street.

The dynamic of the Hicksville community started to change significantly some 15 years ago. In my opinion the change has not been to the better. There are many communities that have the LIRR along their routes. Babylon being one. You don't seen the delcine to the area that the Hicksville has sustained.
Personally, I would have moved. Haivng 3 kids with with 11 years between youngest and oldest it seemed we always had one who didn't want to move and was involved with sports or school activities. Given it's short commute to our business in Queens and my husbands long time family ties to area we have stayed. (low taxes being a factor too).
On a personal note, I'm not so sure I'd do it again. You know what they say about hindsight. We've experienced first hand the change to school district with the influx of minority populations and illegal housing. With our last out of the high school and on to college, it's time for us to re evaluate the situation.
As I stated earlier, I'm not seeing any difference between our work location of Bellerose-Floral Park and Hicksville. If that's what one is looking for in a community that's fine, but it's not for us any longer.
I don't see it improving.

Last edited by srq57; 05-12-2015 at 12:20 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites View Post
Hicksville "dangerous"?!?! Haw haw. Some people need to get out more.

Despite the "shabby" downtown, every home within proximity of the HS and MS is being flipped or reno'd into a mini mcmansion. The mall has been getting facelift after facelift. The district's test scores are going up. Commercial base growing (thank you Indian businesses) so taxes staying moderate (by LI standards). Despite our known resident scaredy cat JIW and his roving camera, Hicksville is one of the few places (like Farmingdale, Huntington, Patchogue, Bay Shore) that is actually getting it right.
I would agree with you. The Middle School area in particular is very nice. Always has been. Especially the wider nicer streets.
Unfortunately, not the case in our part of town.

I also get out plenty, thanks. I have a family member who uses the train station regularly everyday at 5:30 in the morning. It's not exactly Disney World over there.

Last edited by srq57; 05-12-2015 at 12:21 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 11:38 AM

16,417 posts, read 26,104,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srq57 View Post
I'm not sure the homeowners who reside on Plainview Road appreciate all the cars and traffic in front of their homes on weekends from the soccer games at Triangle park. The park itself is nice,I took my children there for years. However, there isn't nearly enough parking to accommodate the vehicles that it attracts on weekends.It's not the peaceful enclave of tree lined streets to which you referred earlier. In my opinion those dwarf trees have sticks holding them up better looking than the the tree's themselves. It's an ugly cement highway. As you head west toward Park Ave you will find one shabby looking rental home after another. (remembering of course there are no 2 family homes in the Town of Oyster Bay, however it seems most of these are "grandfathered". ) I assure you, the owners of those home, do NOT live there. Last summer, One home had the front porch closed in with ply wood and chicken wire so as to use it for additional rental space. Many of these homes are rented to migrant workers. Visit the area at 6- 7 a.m. on a summer day, and you will find landscapers looking to hire those that gather there for day labor.
THIS has gotten worse in the 13 years since you have left Hicksville.
The bus traffic alone is horrible. Many of us have complained to the county regarding the speed of these busses traveling through what is supposed to be a residential neighborhood and a school zone. No school speed zone traps there. Nope, that would interfere with the County bus service. We were told the buss has a schedule to keep, thus having them obey the speed limit is not on their radar. It's also a county road and not a TOB road. So we have two different municipalities to deal with.

I would agree that the decline in Hicksville, is not due to the Indian population moving it. That simply is what it is. However, he community dynamic has changed in the 13 years since you have lived here. The former Irish and German populations have moved on. Our customers in Belleorse are primarily of Indian decent. My neighbors next to me and across the street are Indian (actually Pakistani) While you may not understand why the Indian population would move on to other areas. Many SHOP here, but they don't necessarily live here. There aren't many Indian doctors residing in Hicksville. They reside in more affluent areas of the Island. Many families come here directly from India, stay a while and move on. (many move on because the school system is not to their liking) Often, they rent out their homes. This has been the case on our street.

The dynamic of the Hicksville community started to change significantly some 15 years ago. In my opinion the change has not been to the better. There are many communities that have the LIRR along their routes. Babylon being one. You don't seen the delcine to the area that the Hicksville has sustained.
Personally, I would have moved. Haivng 3 kids with with 11 years between youngest and oldest it seemed we always had one who didn't want to move and was involved with sports or school activities. Given it's short commute to our business in Queens and my husbands long time family ties to area we have stayed. (low taxes being a factor too).
On a personal note, I'm not so sure I'd do it again. You know what they say about hindsight. We've experienced first hand the change to school district with the influx of minority populations and illegal housing. With our last out of the high school and on to college, it's time for us to re evaluate the situation.
As I stated earlier, I'm not seeing any difference between our work location of Bellerose-Floral Park and Hicksville. If that's what one is looking for in a community that's fine, but it's not for us any longer.
I don't see it improving.
What neighborhood in Hicksville does the LI Medium live in? Her house and her block look so nice.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:40 AM

The school performance was the only reason we moved away. We loved the low cost and where we were behind Holy Trinity. It was completely safe and I don't doubt that it still is. We loved the free community pools throughout the area - also safe. It was a starter house so schools didn't matter at the time. In other words, the schools there have always been below avg. Nobody coming in within the last 20 years changed that. You'd think the Indians coming in would help it - maybe it'll take more time, but the renter population doesn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island