U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 12:50 PM

8,001 posts, read 10,125,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What neighborhood in Hicksville does the LI Medium live in? Her house and her block look so nice.
She's on Summer right off Jerusalem in a built-up Levitt. Blocks from where we used to be. Pretty common in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 01:16 PM

33 posts, read 24,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What neighborhood in Hicksville does the LI Medium live in? Her house and her block look so nice.
Looks like she lives in a Levitt house. Where Levittown meets Hicksville.
Those are also where the "joint district" pools are.
They are acutually Levittown pools but the areas of Hicksville where Levitt built homes use them also.
Not all residents of Hicksville have access to them. Only those particular areas which are south of Old Country Road.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
She's on Summer right off Jerusalem in a built-up Levitt. Blocks from where we used to be. Pretty common in the area.
L.I. medium is pretty far from the original "town" or central area referred to by the OP. The original main street "Broadway" area of Hicksville. Meaning the train station area, which runs arcoss ( as you head east) 106-107, and then across Jerusalem Avenue. If you follow the trestle it leads you right over the town toward the fire house. (which is not a good place to walk in the early morning hours). I hear tell back in the day the town actually had two sides to the street before it was widened by the state I believe. All the buildings and businesses on the east side of Broadway, were all knocked down.) It's looked kind of ugly for as far back as I can remember, but I've heard from my husbands family it was once a pretty nice picturesque town.
Even twenty five years ago there was at least a small post office and a drug store, butcher and florist. The movie house. That sort of thing. That's all gone. Storefronts in recent years have been Replaced with one thing after another that goes out of business. Not a very "vibrant" area. Although the Sweet Shop is still there. I believe it was featured in an episode with her eating lunch there.

Last edited by srq57; 05-12-2015 at 01:53 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,072,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srq57 View Post
L.I. medium is pretty far from the original "town" or central area referred to by the OP. The original main street "Broadway" area of Hicksville. Meaning the train station area, which runs arcoss ( as you head east) 106-107, and then across Jerusalem Avenue. If you follow the trestle it leads you right over the town toward the fire house. (which is not a good place to walk in the early morning hours). I hear tell back in the day the town actually had two sides to the street before it was widened by the state I believe. All the buildings and businesses on the east side of Broadway, were all knocked down.) It's looked kind of ugly for as far back as I can remember, but I've heard from my husbands family it was once a pretty nice picturesque town.
Even twenty five years ago there was at least a small post office and a drug store, butcher and florist. The movie house. That sort of thing. That's all gone. Storefronts in recent years have been Replaced with one thing after another that goes out of business. Not a very "vibrant" area. Although the Sweet Shop is still there. I believe it was featured in an episode with her eating lunch there.
back in the sixties all the buildings on the west side of Broadway south of Herzog Pl. and north of Old Country Rd. were leveled as NY 107 was widened. This happened about the same time the LIRR tracks were elevated. IMO the downtown never recovered.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
back in the sixties all the buildings on the west side of Broadway south of Herzog Pl. and north of Old Country Rd. were leveled as NY 107 was widened. This happened about the same time the LIRR tracks were elevated. IMO the downtown never recovered.
I stand corrected. You're right, it was the west side of Broadway that was taken down. It would seem you are right also that the town never really recovered from that.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:27 AM

8,001 posts, read 10,125,015 times
When did all the rentals start happening? Why did a town like that suffer from transients while Syosset with their own LIRR station cutting right through town has not? Cost of housing is obviously cheaper in Hicksville so I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised it has inhabitants making it worse for everyone. Affordability is a two-way street.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:58 AM

I know the area on Plainview Road , west of Park Avenue has always been rental two family homes.(which is abused and often the rooms are rented out) At least in the 25 years we've been in the area. It's almost like a different neighborhood. Apparently, they were "grandfathered" in, being older homes? They were the first in our immediate area to start looking pretty shabby. We also have a "grandfathered" legal two family home on our street. It's odd. an older home right smack in the middle of the block. However, the owner continually tries to rent out the basement. Imagine, three FAMILIES. With all that entails. Kids and cars all occupying one building. It's a fire hazard having a family rent out a basement without windows! The other residents on the block try to keep the owner in check. As soon as we notice another basement rental we are downloading our forms from T.O.B. for them to come take a look. It's a continuous battle of quality of life vs. greed. Of course the owner of the home does not occupy it. Uses the huge garage to store items for the camp that he owns and operates on Old Country Road in Hicksville. He even had employees painting the school the busses outside at the back of the driveway at one point years ago. We had to get the EPA involved to stop that. Yeah, that's a great smell while you BBQ. You couldn't enjoy your own property or yard. Let alone open your windows without the smell of car paint.
I don't understand why the town tolerates it. I get that they are grandfathered. However times have changed. The zoning needs to change. The occupants of these rental two family homes that were grandfathered 50-60 years ago have changed significantly. The occupants now own cars(bringing three times the traffic and parking issues to the area) and and have families. Families that the school district is obligated to educate. Yet the these homes are paying the taxes of single family homes. Insult to injury is that they are not occupied in any way by the owners. Makes zero sense to me.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:47 PM

4,856 posts, read 2,471,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srq57 View Post
I know the area on Plainview Road , west of Park Avenue has always been rental two family homes.(which is abused and often the rooms are rented out) At least in the 25 years we've been in the area. It's almost like a different neighborhood. Apparently, they were "grandfathered" in, being older homes? They were the first in our immediate area to start looking pretty shabby. We also have a "grandfathered" legal two family home on our street. It's odd. an older home right smack in the middle of the block. However, the owner continually tries to rent out the basement. Imagine, three FAMILIES. With all that entails. Kids and cars all occupying one building. It's a fire hazard having a family rent out a basement without windows! The other residents on the block try to keep the owner in check. As soon as we notice another basement rental we are downloading our forms from T.O.B. for them to come take a look. It's a continuous battle of quality of life vs. greed. Of course the owner of the home does not occupy it. Uses the huge garage to store items for the camp that he owns and operates on Old Country Road in Hicksville. He even had employees painting the school the busses outside at the back of the driveway at one point years ago. We had to get the EPA involved to stop that. Yeah, that's a great smell while you BBQ. You couldn't enjoy your own property or yard. Let alone open your windows without the smell of car paint.
I don't understand why the town tolerates it. I get that they are grandfathered. However times have changed. The zoning needs to change. The occupants of these rental two family homes that were grandfathered 50-60 years ago have changed significantly. The occupants now own cars(bringing three times the traffic and parking issues to the area) and and have families. Families that the school district is obligated to educate. Yet the these homes are paying the taxes of single family homes. Insult to injury is that they are not occupied in any way by the owners. Makes zero sense to me.
You have unrealistic expectations. It sounds like the town has reacted appropriately when the basement was used and the driveway was being used to paint school buses but you have no complaint about two family houses properly zoned for two families. The number of cars they put into the area is of no more concern than the number of cars you do; you could own six cars and that would be within your rights.

We haven't yet gotten to the point where residents can be told how many vehicles they can own. And two family houses are taxed as two family, not single family. Unless you moved there 75 years ago, the zoning was in place when you moved in; it's up to you to deal with it or move.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:00 PM

782 posts, read 840,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
When did all the rentals start happening? Why did a town like that suffer from transients while Syosset with their own LIRR station cutting right through town has not? Cost of housing is obviously cheaper in Hicksville so I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised it has inhabitants making it worse for everyone. Affordability is a two-way street.
The volume of ridership and traffic (parking) between Hicksville and Syosset cannot compare. The decline began when the road was widened in the 60s (you can pull Census data to show how it changed over time), transforming 106/107 from a two-lane roadway to a four-lane super highway. This is why the State ended up taking over the roadway (it was once a County roadway). Trucks now barrel down the roadway too as another route to southern roadways. It's one of the major North South arterial roads in the area, in addition to S. Oyster Bay Road.

Jackson Avenue is still a quaint two-lane roadway in comparison. No truck travel. Recently redone. Beautified. The amount of money spent on infrastructure repair and updates in other neighborhoods pales in comparison to Hicksville, particularly the Downtown area.

The level of traffic in the Hicksville triangle, compounded by a backward zoning situation on 106/107 (after the road was widened, the Town never got with the program to 'rezone' the area and make it attractive to developers), hence, much of the area is still hodgepodge because the parcels are so small and its almost prohibitive to develop. The Town needs to coordinate a large-scale redevelopment effort for the area, somewhat like 'Enterprise Zones' created in particular cities, but, as others have noted, the priority is elsewhere here--i.e., to fight legal battles for 20 years in a bit more affluent areas like the Cerro Wire property. Steve Bellone in Suffolk spearheaded a huge redevelopment, a coordinated one, in Suffolk for Patchogue, and, the area that was once in decline is now thriving. Young people are moving there because it is attractive, walkable, provides great housing opportunities. In Hicksville, we have iteration after iteration of development 'ideas' that end up going nowhere centered upon a train station that is the busiest in the entire County. Further, a plethora of parking lots that destroy the aesthetics of the area--thank you greed. Hence, the area continues to deteriorate as there is no incentive for a developer to build, whether residential or commercial.

With a tremendous increase in traffic over the past 3 decades on 106/107, the introduction of the Broadway Mall, lack of coordinated planning effort between the Town and County, and commercial hodgepodge on 106/107 due to restrictive zoning, the Downtown area (and surrounding sub-streets with residential homes) began to suffer. Lack of enforcement regarding illegal rentals, tree removals did nothing to better the area. Further, no one wants to purchase a home on a busy roadway near a traffic wasteland. Hence, rentals started to increase in the area, many not legal or zoned properly. It creates a domino effect.

What is truly needed is a comprehensive, responsible development effort in the area to get things back on track. But, clearly, the Town is dragging its feet to do so. Also, there's benefit for doing so. The Town can capitalize on receiving HUD block grant money in poverty/minority areas. Hence, it's beneficial financially (when it comes to federal grant money) to keep an area of the TOB in shambles.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You have unrealistic expectations. It sounds like the town has reacted appropriately when the basement was used and the driveway was being used to paint school buses but you have no complaint about two family houses properly zoned for two families. The number of cars they put into the area is of no more concern than the number of cars you do; you could own six cars and that would be within your rights.

We haven't yet gotten to the point where residents can be told how many vehicles they can own. And two family houses are taxed as two family, not single family. Unless you moved there 75 years ago, the zoning was in place when you moved in; it's up to you to deal with it or move.

We had no way of knowing near 30 years ago that a single "grandfathered" two family home was in the middle of our block. It is the only such home. The home is likely close to 100 years old. None of the other homes on the street are 2 family homes. Many of the homes on Plainview Road west of Park Ave rent rooms out individually. T.O.B. has indicated as long as there is not an additional kitchen in the home, this can be done. They do limit the number of occupants. Yet, as you can imagine, that has proved difficult to enforce.

We had a single family home on our street that rented out every level of the home, and used sheets in the basement to divide and rent out additional space. Owner ran a day care out of it. Working parents would use the address and their children were actually attending the elementary school a block away. Parents(caregivers) would would retrieve them at 3:30.
In my opinion, it is the mindsets of homeowners like this, that have changed the dynamic of our community. It is no longer the suburban enclave of 25-30 years ago. Certainly not the place my husbands family has resided in for four generations.

Point of my post was that particular areas of Hicksville have "changed" significantly over the years. We've lived here long enough to see the effects of that change on the community and the schools in particular. I see little difference between here and Bellerose. Queens has extended eastward.

That being said, I believe you are quite right. "Deal with it or move" is the dilemma we currently face.
(guess which way I'm headed with that..)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island