Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 01:53 PM

65 posts, read 149,728 times

Advertisements

Hi -- I am in Nassau County own a house with a walk out ground level basement. It's currently counted as finished by the village I'm in and counts as 2500 sq foot living area. Due to this my taxes are through the roof. I'm hardly ever there and basement is ugly as heck anyway.

If I tore down the paneling all the way to the brick, removed the ceiling (so the rafters are bare), and pulled up the ugly 1950s floor tile (especially since there's extensive rotting along the baseboards, and clear flood lines (seller had not fessed up to), would I be able to get my house assessment to have "unfinished" basement and hence get a reduction in my outrageously high property taxes?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 02:32 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
You have to get a demolition permit first.

But there might be an easier way. I think if the space doesn't have a ceiling its not considered "finished". Call your local code office and ask. You may only have to remove the ceiling.

Old 04-28-2014, 02:46 PM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
What an interesting post, keep us informed, I would never have thought of doing that but it might just work.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:25 PM

Thank you! Do you know if I should be calling Town of Oyster Bay or Village of Brookville?

Old 04-28-2014, 06:19 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,651 times
Nope, it doesn't work that way. Typically, when you finish your basement, you add HVAC (or at least heating), making it 'conditioned' space (of course sheetrocking the walls, ceiling and possibly finishing the floor also make it conditioned space). The 'conditioned' space is added to the overall sq. footage of house, which in turn is used to determine your assessment.

Theoretically, you could rip out any of the hvac (forced air returns or baseboard radiators), claim it is semi or unfinished space and have an appraisal done on your home. You would then submit that appraisal to your town (county?) assessor. I say theoretically because it probably is not worth the bother, expense or time to get what measly nickels you may get back destroying your home. It won't make much of a dent based on the huge residential property tax bills on LI.

If you really want lower property taxes, move. Otherwise, grin and bear it like the rest of the drones.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:22 PM

bubbathedog, currently the house is assessed as 7000 sq foot, 2500 is appropriated for the basement that we never ever use. It's old and rotted. We recently bought the home and don't plan on remodeling the basement anytime soon. Do you not think it would be worth it to do this to take away 2500sq footage assessment from taxes?

Old 04-28-2014, 06:33 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcutiew View Post
bubbathedog, currently the house is assessed as 7000 sq foot, 2500 is appropriated for the basement that we never ever use. It's old and rotted. We recently bought the home and don't plan on remodeling the basement anytime soon. Do you not think it would be worth it to do this to take away 2500sq footage assessment from taxes?
I would pose the question to the county tax assessor to see what you have to recoup in taxes. That said, I would assume after "undoing" you would be subject to inspection to see exactly how unfinished your basement now is and that could open another bucket of worms if an inspector enters your home. You may also need to obtain a demo permit and if there is any electrical stuff, the underwriter will also need to inspect (for a fee of course).

Old 04-28-2014, 07:02 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
You said "walk-out ground level" - IMHO they are always going to include this in your square footage since it's not entirely underground. I would check with your village and the county before going nuts ripping stuff out that may not make a darn bit of a difference. The county may consider that your "ground floor".

Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
You said "walk-out ground level" - IMHO they are always going to include this in your square footage since it's not entirely underground. I would check with your village and the county before going nuts ripping stuff out that may not make a darn bit of a difference. The county may consider that your "ground floor".
I agree. Also if I'm reading this post correctly, you basically bought a 4500 sq ft house in Brookville with a 2500 sq ft basement- is any potential reduction is taxes really going to affect your bottom line enough to deal with the hassle of this? I think you're going to have a hard time arguing that by converting your (currently unusable) basement to unfinished space you are drastically lowering the value of your home for tax purposes. I certainly don't think you can argue that your house will be worth LESS than what you very recently paid for it!! Doesn't really matter what the useable footage of your house is- by paying what you did for your house, you have likely set the market value for it and you should expect your taxes to be in line with the price you paid, regardless of sq footage. Square footage might matter for insurance purposes, but it doesn't have a lot of relevance when it comes to taxes. Talk to your tax assesor to see what they say- but I wouldn't count on getting your taxes reduced based on this.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:01 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
It would probably drop your taxes from 45,000 to 41,000 a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: