U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-31-2007, 10:52 AM

1,650 posts, read 2,965,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
No. That's perfectly fine. It's just geography.
You're absolutely right. Unfortunately, some realtors are less interested in geography and more interested in capitalizing on peoples' fears and prejudices.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 11:13 AM

414 posts, read 1,118,600 times
I'm sure Wyandanch is not a good area and the realtor was, indeed, trying to be honest. Maybe she knew that since my sister knows LI very well, she'd get annoyed if the realtor DIDN'T tell her about it.

Tom, I wouldn't report the agent since she's a friend of a friend kind of thing (plus I live in Oregon). It just made me feel kind of sorry for the homeowners who will have a harder time selling their home if every realtor tells their clients that 'it's too close to Wyandanch.' The realtor wouldn't even take her over to look at the house.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:40 AM

2,934 posts, read 5,626,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
I'm sure Wyandanch is not a good area and the realtor was, indeed, trying to be honest. Maybe she knew that since my sister knows LI very well, she'd get annoyed if the realtor DIDN'T tell her about it.

Tom, I wouldn't report the agent since she's a friend of a friend kind of thing (plus I live in Oregon). It just made me feel kind of sorry for the homeowners who will have a harder time selling their home if every realtor tells their clients that 'it's too close to Wyandanch.' The realtor wouldn't even take her over to look at the house.
Sometimes real estate agents think that they are doing their customers a favour when they are really not. What is "too close" anyway? A block, a mile, two miles?

Old 12-31-2007, 10:27 PM

1,798 posts, read 4,071,718 times
Quote:
Sometimes real estate agents think that they are doing their customers a favour when they are really not. What is "too close" anyway? A block, a mile, two miles?
I would think realtors would get to know their customers and know what is too close indeed for them.

And don't feel sorry for the sellers. They bought probably well knowing what they were near, and probably paid a lot less for their home based on this. And now it will come right back to them. And it doesn't matter if the realtor tells anyone it is too close or not, people have eyes. They can see the reality when they go to the home if it is very close to a bad area. The realtor would be wasting her time if she truly knows her clients and that they would never purchase this home as it doesn't suit their wants and needs.

And anyone from LI generally knows about Wyandanch.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:02 PM

246 posts, read 701,411 times
Quote:
To answer your question. Realtors are NOT allowed to say something like that. It is considered steering. That's when you steer white people to white neighborhoods and black people to black neighborhoods. It is an illegal action. That agent could lose his or her license and be subject to fines. A similar case is currently being investigated in Garden City. If you happen to know the real estate agents name, please let me know. I would be more then happy to turn him or her in to the authorities.
I couldn't have said it better. When buying a house always check the area and surronding area's yourself at different times of day and night to make sure it is the right fit.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:58 PM

414 posts, read 1,118,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I would think realtors would get to know their customers and know what is too close indeed for them.

And don't feel sorry for the sellers. They bought probably well knowing what they were near, and probably paid a lot less for their home based on this. And now it will come right back to them. And it doesn't matter if the realtor tells anyone it is too close or not, people have eyes. They can see the reality when they go to the home if it is very close to a bad area. The realtor would be wasting her time if she truly knows her clients and that they would never purchase this home as it doesn't suit their wants and needs.

And anyone from LI generally knows about Wyandanch.
Tom, I think G2BH pretty much answered your question. The realtor know what was too close even if it wasn't distance or miles. It just surprised me that she was so absolute about it being 'wrong' for them and not wanting to show them the house. I guess the owners knew what they were doing when they bought it in the first place.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
Tom, I think G2BH pretty much answered your question. The realtor know what was too close even if it wasn't distance or miles. It just surprised me that she was so absolute about it being 'wrong' for them and not wanting to show them the house. I guess the owners knew what they were doing when they bought it in the first place.
Nonetheless, the real estate agent performed an illegal act. (Fair Housing Laws are taught on day one.) I still think that there is no place at all for people in my profession who either 1) are ingnorant of the law, or 2) choose to break the law. Would you put up with lawbreakers in any other licensed profession?

Old 01-02-2008, 11:58 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,122,070 times
Default You are quite creative with my words

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Seems like my post triggered some paranoia here. You are so intent on playing defense that you failed to read that I said "alot of folks" and not "all Long Islanders". I was referring to people who are disgruntled with the state of affairs on LI (of which it is obvious this forum has more than the normal share). Don't misrepresent what I said ...it is obvious that I was not referring to the entire population of LI.

In case you are forgetting, this is a forum of opinions. My opinion is that people who are unhappy living in a particular region, to which they have become attached sentimentally, could very well improve their circumstances by moving to a different environment anywhere else in the country. Not everyone on LI is "middleclass and happy" like you.
Maybe what sparked my reply were quotes like "After all, NYC is supposed to be the greatest city in the world. But it is the affluent people who can afford to be sentimental about LI, not the poor sucker that is trying to stay above water." That seemed like a pretty blanket statement to me...but I apologize for my misinterpretation.

And you proved your point wonderfully by doing the exact thing to my reply as you claim I did to yours. I NEVER said everyone was "middle class and happy" on Long Island. In fact, I believe I only referred to myself. A far cry from the statements you made (quoted above) as well as your reference to "ALOT" of Long Islanders suffering. So you are correct, you did not say every Long Islander .

If this is truly a forum of opinions, as you so noted, then why did you choose to couch my counter perspective as "playing defense" and "paranoid". How flattering and respectful of my divergent opinion...nice spin.
My point: many come onto this forum and like to dog Long Island for a number of reasons and reference how great they are for leaving. It gets tiresome. Just one man's opinion.

Jrp

Old 01-02-2008, 03:46 PM

5 posts, read 17,465 times
Default RE: Housing Prices

My wife and I have been looking for quite some time as well. Thanks to the "greedy" homeowners and the "house flippers", they've given us an opportunity to strike and get a better deal for our money. Hopefully we'll see more of a decline in home prices because housing has become rediculously exorbitant.
Out of curiosity, would anyone know what percentage less than listing would be a good, normal offer?
Thank you all for an informative web-site in advance and keep up the good work!!

Old 01-02-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers911 View Post
My wife and I have been looking for quite some time as well. Thanks to the "greedy" homeowners and the "house flippers", they've given us an opportunity to strike and get a better deal for our money. Hopefully we'll see more of a decline in home prices because housing has become rediculously exorbitant.
Out of curiosity, would anyone know what percentage less than listing would be a good, normal offer?
Thank you all for an informative web-site in advance and keep up the good work!!
It's a bit of an art, rather then a science. I have seen a lot of "lowball" offers recently by buyers who feel empowered by the media. Most of the time, they just succeed in insulting the owner, who then refuses to negotiate.
In general, you want to make an offer that indicates that you are a serious buyer, not one who is just out there tossing numbers around to see what sticks. Your goal is to generate a counter offer so that you can get the conversation going and eventually come to an agreement. I can tell you that of the homes that closed in the last 90 days in my area (Northwest Suffolk), the average sale price was 4.84% below the asking price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island