Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 05:51 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Sounds like your decision worked out for you, but I gotta tell ya, I am really growing tired of everyone posting about REAL life happiness and how horrific LI is (and how all long islanders think irrationally about it being the center of the universe, Manhattan is next door, I can't leave the pizza...blah blah blah).

It is arrogant to post that you are somehow more enlightened then those of us who choose to live in this area...as if all Long Islanders are dim-witted morons or are only happy if they are affluent. I am middle class and happy here. I was not born in this region and have been in the area for about ten years. If you are truly espousing that people should simply focus on happiness in their life then why get on a discussion board and generalize about a location and its residents. There are over 3 million people on long island...some of them are happy here...you were not; great for you. But I fail to see the benefit of coming to vent and stereotype about a region that wasn't working for you...sounds like you might have some pent up angry...maybe you are not so happy
Seems like my post triggered some paranoia here. You are so intent on playing defense that you failed to read that I said "alot of folks" and not "all Long Islanders". I was referring to people who are disgruntled with the state of affairs on LI (of which it is obvious this forum has more than the normal share). Don't misrepresent what I said ...it is obvious that I was not referring to the entire population of LI.

In case you are forgetting, this is a forum of opinions. My opinion is that people who are unhappy living in a particular region, to which they have become attached sentimentally, could very well improve their circumstances by moving to a different environment anywhere else in the country. Not everyone on LI is "middleclass and happy" like you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 08:43 AM

245 posts, read 298,539 times
Default You make no sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Seems like my post triggered some paranoia here. You are so intent on playing defense that you failed to read that I said "alot of folks" and not "all Long Islanders". I was referring to people who are disgruntled with the state of affairs on LI (of which it is obvious this forum has more than the normal share). Don't misrepresent what I said ...it is obvious that I was not referring to the entire population of LI.

In case you are forgetting, this is a forum of opinions. My opinion is that people who are unhappy living in a particular region, to which they have become attached sentimentally, could very well improve their circumstances by moving to a different environment anywhere else in the country. Not everyone on LI is "middleclass and happy" like you.
Of course everyone is not middle class and happy. If you intended to retreat to the position that some people are middle class and unhappy, then that could be said of anyone anywhere. So, either you implied that a greater number than average are middle class or happy, or you merely intended to state the obvious - that some people on Long Island are unhappy. I think you intended the former.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:45 PM

411 posts, read 1,601,375 times
My sister is looking at houses in Melville. There was a lovely one that the realtor told her was 'too close to Wyandanch'.

What does that mean?
Is Wyandanch so bad?
Are realtors allowed to do that?

She plans to bid 100k less than asking price. I think that's awful but the realtor doesn't see a problem with it. Sheesh, what's going on over in LI?

Old 12-29-2007, 12:48 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Why is that awful, you offer what the house is worth to you. The homeowner can always decline.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:20 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post
My sister is looking at houses in Melville. There was a lovely one that the realtor told her was 'too close to Wyandanch'.

What does that mean?
Is Wyandanch so bad?

She plans to bid 100k less than asking price. I think that's awful but the realtor doesn't see a problem with it. Sheesh, what's going on over in LI?
Wyandanch is NOT good at all. I would never purchase a home near there, too close to there. And the realtor is trying to be honest. I think realtors are in a tough position so they phrase things very carefully. And if you are not from the area, you could easily be sold a home near a very unsafe or undesirable area (such as Wyandanch). Property values are often determined by what surrounds you and if this particular home is sight distance or walking distance to a bad area in Wyandanch, that would naturally be reflected in the price. So if your sister doesn't care about Wyandanch (or does she even know enough about LI to make a fair judgement?) then of course low bid and see what happens.

But I suggest she do some very thorough research before buying a home near Wyandanch.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:21 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
Of course everyone is not middle class and happy. If you intended to retreat to the position that some people are middle class and unhappy, then that could be said of anyone anywhere. So, either you implied that a greater number than average are middle class or happy, or you merely intended to state the obvious - that some people on Long Island are unhappy. I think you intended the former.

I agree with you.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,110 times
Default You missed the point ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
Listen ... "middleclass and happy" were the words the previous poster used to describe himself. Those were NOT my words, hence the quotes. I was referring only to some people's state of mind in the face of the housing market, high property taxes, etc. I agree that being middleclass (whatever that is) in LI, or anywhere else, has absolutely nothing to do with being happy or unhappy. So as far as that is concerned we could be on the same page.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:44 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh54 View Post

What does that mean?
Is Wyandanch so bad?

To answer your question. Realtors are NOT allowed to say something like that. It is considered steering. That's when you steer white people to white neighborhoods and black people to black neighborhoods. It is an illegal action. That agent could lose his or her license and be subject to fines. A similar case is currently being investigated in Garden City. If you happen to know the real estate agents name, please let me know. I would be more then happy to turn him or her in to the authorities.

Old 12-31-2007, 07:01 AM

487 posts, read 1,364,126 times
it wouldn't be illegal to just mention a property in one town is close to another town, would it? assuming there were no previous discussions about the towns...

Old 12-31-2007, 08:07 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brassbin View Post
it wouldn't be illegal to just mention a property in one town is close to another town, would it? assuming there were no previous discussions about the towns...
No. That's perfectly fine. It's just geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island