Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:55 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,317 times

Advertisements

This thread makes me feel like Dorothy Zbornak from The Golden Girls. I'm waiting for someone who grew up on Long Island in the 60s and 70s to talk about the day "'Julie Andrews showed up, you fed deer from your hand, and sang 'If I Had A Hammer!'"

Last edited by Wes927; 04-23-2011 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: type-o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 09:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,942 times
Default Carlos Pizza Intercouny Shopping Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLIGuy View Post
Reading this thread was great. Born and raised in Amityville in the 60s, 70s, then moved to East Hampton in 1980. Things I remember:

Night blue-crabbing at the Amityville Pier at the end of Ocean Avenue during the summer.
Flounder fishing with my Uncle on Great South Bay in March (brrrr).
My older brother and I getting up at dawn on July 5th, to hunt for unused firecrackers all over town.
Sledding at the Southern State Parkway & Rte 110 interchange. Had the highest hills in Amityville! Also, sledding at Bethpage State Park.
Family vacations in Montauk every summer. My Dad's favorite place to vacation.
Driving to Montauk before there was Sunrise Highway past Patchogue. What a looong trip that was on Old Montauk Hwy!
Friends and I sneaking out at recess from Amityville Jr. High and going to the "Keg" Beer & Soda Distributor to get a 25-cent can of soda!
North Amityville Fire Department picnics and the Memorial Day Parade down Rte 110.
Playing kickball, softball, football, street hockey with all the neighborhood kids.
Having egg wars at Halloween with kids from Massapequa Park, Copaigue, South Farmingdale, and Wyandanch. For some reason they all liked invading Amityville then.
Going to the All Weather Drive-In in Copaigue.
Hanging around with my Grandfather at his Kitchen Shop in Lindenhurst and helping my Uncle with his kitchen restoration jobs all over LI.
My Sister and I hanging around Sunrise Mall on Saturday afternoons. Getting Ice Cream at Farrell's.
My family was excited when White Castle opened near the Sunrise Mall. We also loved Carlos' Pizza Oven in the Inter-County Shopping Center on Carman's Road.
Spending time at the Amityville Library and the park on Oak Street.
Buying Wacky Packages and Red-Hot fireballs at Ralph's Stationary on Rte. 110.
Riding our bikes all over Amityville,and Massapequa Park.
My father taking us boys to get hair-cuts at the old Italian barbershop on Main Street, Farmingdale. Those fellas knew how to cut hair!
Talking with the last remaining farmer in Amityville and buying produce from his stand on Rte. 110 in North Amityville.
Cruising in a skiff around Amityville's canals. And mostly swimming in our pool.

In the next post, I'll talk about my experiences in East Hampton!
I was born (1956) one block in from Pittsburgh and Carman Road 10 Linwood PL went to Carman Road Elementary school. Graduated Berner (1974)
I remember Carlos Pizza being the Best pizza Ever. I loved their sicilian pizza.Still have not found anyone like it. I still remember Amity theater phone # MY1-0200 saw A Hard Days Night there. I had the greatest childhood growing up there. Miss those days. And also remember the(Pit) where they built the Massapequa Mall. We used to find arrow heads in the woods there. I also remember going to Massapequa Zoo and drive Inn movies. Another favorite Pizza was pizza Supreme in the Bar Harbour Shopping Center. I also had a blast riding my blue Schwin Bike with a bannana seat throughout Massapequa, Farmingdale and Amityville.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:13 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
I'm waiting for someone who grew up on Long Island in the 60s and 70s to talk about the day "'Julie Andrews showed up, you fed deer from your hand,

We did have deer on our property on Strongs Neck, but it was in the fifties. Julie Andrews wasn't there.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-04-2011, 12:09 PM

112 posts, read 218,263 times
I remember my mother taking me to the Port Jefferson WOOLWORTHS to meet the host of ROMPER ROOM ... Miss Louise .. I think her name was , and having my picture ( long since lost ) taken with BATMAN at the BILLY BLAKES in East Setauket.
To this day , I've always wondered if that was really Adam West , or just some actor/model in the costume.

Last edited by GR8ACTR; 12-04-2011 at 12:42 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 12:16 PM

112 posts, read 218,263 times
Nancy , where and when did you meet Johnny Carson ? The reason I ask is because I had once heard that he , at one time , lived in Port Jeff / Belle Terre , but never knew if it was true.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:17 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
I had heard he lived on the Island when the Tonight Show was based in NY, but I've also heard NYC too.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:04 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,483 times
LOL, you guys are making me jealous! You guys are so lucky because i'm a 90's/2000's child and most of what I remember growing up is being glued to a game system/tv and some school stuff and now as a young adult, I wish I could've spent it differently.

It's really nice to read these vivid accounts of how other generations spent their childhood.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:07 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
We did have deer on our property on Strongs Neck, but it was in the fifties.
I currently have a deer family that comes regularly in the back yard when it gets cold, every year. They nibble on some of the garden in the Spring too, but I still prefer them over the raccoons (ugly creatures)... Other fauna includes squirrels, rabbits and turtles.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:23 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
Nancy , where and when did you meet Johnny Carson ? The reason I ask is because I had once heard that he , at one time , lived in Port Jeff / Belle Terre , but never knew if it was true.

I had a friend Liz whose aunt lived in Virginia Graham's (she had a local p.m. show) building and Johnny Carson lived there with his first wife Joannie. Liz and I once babysat for the boys even though we were not much older than they were.

I also had a neighbor who played the trumpet in Skitch Henderson's band and we would get tickets to the show whenever we wanted and once Mel introduced my friends and me to Carson who was very polite and affable to three very silly young girls. (I am sure he had no relocation of our former meeting to say the least)

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-04-2011, 04:44 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,688,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

I had a friend Liz whose aunt lived in Virginia Graham's (she had a local p.m. show) building and Johnny Carson lived there with his first wife Joannie. Liz and I once babysat for the boys even though we were not much older than they were.

I also had a neighbor who played the trumpet in Skitch Henderson's band and we would get tickets to the show whenever we wanted and once Mel introduced my friends and me to Carson who was very polite and affable to three very silly young girls. (I am sure he had no relocation of our former meeting to say the least)
That brings back memories. I once went to a studio taping of Virginia Graham's talk show, Girl Talk. I think it was at the CBS studio in Manhattan, but not sure. It was the only time I ever got to be in a "studio audience."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island