Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:02 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move to Long Island soon & I am so confused by Huntington...it seems like it has some very desirable & some very undesirable areas...its so spread out & the different neighborhoods go by so many names, I can't seem to get a handle on it!! What are the most desirable, upper-middle class areas of Huntington? Are some zip codes considered better than others? Are South Huntington schools generally considered better than Huntington schools? Are there parts of Huntington that are part of some other school district? Thanks so much for any help or advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 02:06 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
Huntington certainly can be confusing to newcomers. There are many different neighborhoods. The areas that are in and around Huntington "Village" tend to be more upper class, but other areas are very nice as well. You will encounter four different school districts in Huntington: SD 3 Huntington, SD 1 Elwood, SD 13 South Huntington, and SD 6 Harborfields. If you can be a little more specific as to what you are looking for, I may be able to give you some guidance.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:26 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times
Default Thanks so much for helping!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Huntington certainly can be confusing to newcomers. There are many different neighborhoods. The areas that are in and around Huntington "Village" tend to be more upper class, but other areas are very nice as well. You will encounter four different school districts in Huntington: SD 3 Huntington, SD 1 Elwood, SD 13 South Huntington, and SD 6 Harborfields. If you can be a little more specific as to what you are looking for, I may be able to give you some guidance.
Most of the houses we've been looking at seem to be in the South Huntington School district (SD 13 I guess). How is this school district? I think the areas we've mostly been looking in is the area around Oheka Castle that's considered to be Cold Spring Hills, and also, an area that seems to be called West Hills (I say "seems to be" because I'm finding out that these aren't *real* areas according to the postal service). Are these areas considered to be nice areas? How do they compare to Huntington Village? Thanks so much for helping!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 02:36 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Huntington

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
We're looking to move to Long Island soon & I am so confused by Huntington...

For those who may not be familiar with Huntington:

It is important to know that there are 3 "Huntingtons" (from smallest to largest, in order of acreage):

1. There is the Hamlet of Huntington;

2. There is the "Huntington, NY 11743" postal zone, and it includes the Hamlet of Huntington and parts of other surrounding villages and hamlets within its service area; and,

3. There is the Town of Huntington, and it includes 4 villages and 15 hamlets as well as the "Huntington, NY 11743" postal zone and other postal zones, within its borders.

Huntington is a hamlet (an unincorporated area), often incorrectly referred to as Huntington Village, in the north part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by Huntington Bay, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Village of Huntington Bay and the Hamlet of Centerport; on the east by the Hamlet of Centerport and the Hamlet of Greenlawn; on the south by the Hamlet of Huntington Station; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor and the Village of Lloyd Harbor.

The Hamlet of Huntington has a different border than does the "Huntington, NY 11743" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Huntington and a place can have other than a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Huntington): places that have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington are in the Hamlet of West Hills, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Hamlet of Huntington Bay, the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of Elwood; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington with a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" and a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 12-11-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
... I'm finding out that these aren't *real* areas according to the postal service).
You have things backwards: postal zones are not real areas (they are administrative districts set up for the benefit of the USPS). Only one of the 293 communities (2 cities, 96 villages and 195 hamlets) in the bi-counties has the exact same border as the postal zone that "shares" its name (the Village of Sea Cliff in the Town of Oyster Bay in Nassau County and the "Sea Cliff, NY 11579" postal zone have an identical border and no other community and postal zone in either county that share the same name can make that claim).

Quote:
How do they compare to Huntington Village?
Officially, there ain't no such place as "Huntington Village". It's the Hamlet of Huntington.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Most of the houses we've been looking at seem to be in the South Huntington School district (SD 13 I guess). How is this school district? I think the areas we've mostly been looking in is the area around Oheka Castle that's considered to be Cold Spring Hills, and also, an area that seems to be called West Hills (I say "seems to be" because I'm finding out that these aren't *real* areas according to the postal service). Are these areas considered to be nice areas? How do they compare to Huntington Village? Thanks so much for helping!!!
Both are nice areas. I can't really comment on school districts. As a licensed real estate agent I can get in trouble for doing that. I can tell you that of the two major school disticts (3 and 13) I have heard people say wonderful and awful things about both of them. What is your price range. I may be able to give you some advice on the best bang for your buck.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:53 PM

By the way, don't get confused by Walter. Although it's not a village, everyone around here refers to the main business area of Huntington (around Rt. 25-A) as Huntington Village. You seem confused enough.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:55 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Walter, I know you mean well with your information, but how is it valuable or to be used by someone who's not from the area and looking for information regarding a location or neighborhood?

I find that your information only confuses people or puts them to sleep.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I find that your information only confuses people or puts them to sleep.
So, you prefer geographic illiteracy, and thus the ever growing tax burden just worsens and worsens because it's best for people to never know the correct political geography and how they are organized, governed and taxed because it confuses people and puts them to sleep, huh? Gee, that's exactly what the local politicians count on.

Old 12-11-2007, 03:17 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
We're looking to move to Long Island soon & I am so confused by Huntington...it seems like it has some very desirable & some very undesirable areas...its so spread out & the different neighborhoods go by so many names, I can't seem to get a handle on it!! What are the most desirable, upper-middle class areas of Huntington? Are some zip codes considered better than others? Are South Huntington schools generally considered better than Huntington schools? Are there parts of Huntington that are part of some other school district? Thanks so much for any help or advice!!
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

If you look at that map it'll show you roughly (not 100% perfect) the outlines of hamlets & villages in the "Huntington" area. The ones that are generally considered "Huntington" are Huntington (Hamlet), Halesite, Huntington Bay, West Hills, Huntington Station, South Huntington, Greenlawn & Elwood.

Most of those are covered (mostly) by the 11743 zip code, except for parts of Huntington Station and South Huntington (11746 - which is also the zip code for Dix Hills) and parts of Greenlawn (11740). I use the "mostly" qualifier because there is some overlapping around the borders with ZIPs as there are in all areas of LI. Lloyd Harbor also has a 11743 zip code but isn't generally considered a part of the "greater Huntington area", although the school district it's in (Cold Spring Harbor) sometimes is...go figure! The zip code borders are honestly very stupid and confusing considering the hamlet/village borders are par for the course with other locations on LI....I don't know why they're drawn the way they are.

Here's how the school districts shake out:

I'll let someone else argue over what the most desirable areas and school districts are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island