Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 09:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
The reason why they are able to bank their termination pay is because it actually saves the taxpayers money.

If you "use it or lose it" then they will absolutely make sure they use every day during their career. The difference in the private sector is when you call in sick, your desk is empty. When a cop calls in sick, another cop stays on overtime. This winds up costing the taxpayers much more money.

I believe the cops are able to cash out on half their banked sick time. So you would be paying 100% of those sick hours at the overtime rate instead of paying half of them at the regular rate upon retirement.

I understand the knee jerk reaction when you see a civil servant getting paid that kind of money as a retirement bonus but there is some actual logic behind the payment.

Congress members get paid $174k FOR LIFE right now and they don't do a damn thing. Think about all that money.
I am not convinced we are saving money in the long run as cops are just finding other ways to do massive amounts of overtime while NOT covering other people's shifts. We're still paying a fortune anyway. Admit it, IN TOTAL it's a rigged system that is completely UNFAIR to the taxpayers and does not exist anywhere else but Long Island. Public sector unions should be illegal! Some public sector unions, like police on LI, have way too much power and abuse it and abuse the taxpayers' wallets while they are at it to add insult to injury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:24 PM

401 posts, read 944,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Wow, that wildly diverse cross segment of society ie the people you know who drive is really pertinent to the discussion. How about if your kid or a neighbors kid is smoking a joint, or has an open beer at a concert? Or runs a stop sign but moves wrong getting his registration. Should he then get his face kicked in by a police officer? Should anyone in most cases be getting beaten over small amounts of weed in 2014?

I'm done with the idiocy in this thread. It's not about "police" or "the police." It's about ONE cop who was out of line and got it caught on tape. But speaking in sweeping generalities is the only way the apologists on here can justify and rationalize what's on the video.

Regardless of whether this kid was a POS or not (and he totally is based on his record), smart policing (and 3rd grade P.R.) says you arrest him, not kick his head in. Particularly on camera.

I so much agree with this post. The majority of police officers(98%) behave in a professional manner. However, there are the rogue ones that feel the necessity to cross the boundaries. Recent example, the officer that shot the unarmed cabbie. There are jerks in every profession. Unfortunately, in the profession of police officer, they carry a gun. There should not be a discussion as to whether the perp deserved a kick in the head or not. If the police officer did not feel an immediate threat(questionable), there is no need for excessive force. If a perp is swallowing marijuana, is that a threat to the officer? Maybe the only threat was to the officer's case.

I think the majority of police officers behave in a respectful, considerate way. However, it has been shown that some do not. This may be the case.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:51 AM

321 posts, read 595,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Seems like most criminals get sentenced without that consideration at all! If you do the crime, you do the time! Not in this case! Now IMAGINE if an ordinary person pulled a gun on a bar manager and pointed it at his head and what would end up happening to them! Huge, huge double standard at work!
Oh really? I don't think you have a clue how our criminal justice system works.

You can log on to web crims right now and look up inmates, what they were sentenced for and how long they are serving.

In the ultra liberal state of New York almost no one gets sentenced to harsh time until they become a PFO (persistent felony offender). That means you get to commit armed robbery, burglary, assault with a weapon over and over again with slap-on-the-wrist sentences.

It isn't until you are CONVICTED or plea to the felony counts that it starts to work against you. So when someone gets charged with a felony they plea to a misdemeanor. Many criminals can commit a dozen or so violent crimes until two or three actually stick and then they go away for real time.

Everyone likes to complain and offer their baseless opinions but no one has spent any time around a courthouse. Welcome to the justice system. If you don't like it, get involved. If you don't want to get involved, then quit your whining.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:22 AM

413 posts, read 599,020 times
Quote:

You can log on to web crims right now and look up inmates, what they were sentenced for and how long they are serving.

In the ultra liberal state of New York almost no one gets sentenced to harsh time until they become a PFO (persistent felony offender). That means you get to commit armed robbery, burglary, assault with a weapon over and over again with slap-on-the-wrist sentences.

It isn't until you are CONVICTED or plea to the felony counts that it starts to work against you. So when someone gets charged with a felony they plea to a misdemeanor. Many criminals can commit a dozen or so violent crimes until two or three actually stick and then they go away for real time.

Everyone likes to complain and offer their baseless opinions but no one has spent any time around a courthouse. Welcome to the justice system. If you don't like it, get involved. If you don't want to get involved, then quit your whining.

Not sure how this relates to an officer repeatedly bashing in a 20 yr old non-violent offender's face over a less than misdemeanor amount of weed?! I don't care as much about said person's face as about cops who make great money acting professionally and not getting filmed in a dirty jackpot and not fending off hard to defend scandals weekly. It is a stain on the good ones and perpetuates a cycle of distrust that is hard to break. It makes it more dangerous and difficult for the good ones too. Of course it's just hyperbole but for every 1000 heroic actions by LE, it only takes 2 or 3 of these nimrod moves to destroy a lot of goodwill. That's what annoys me most when I see these videos.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:

So you're saying that I or any private citizen would also get community service and a $500 fine too if I shoved a gun in a bar manager's face and there was nothing preferential about that sentence?

LMFAO! Did you type that with a straight face?

Well, that's great news next time I'm out at a bar and feeling bitchy!

Damn, maybe I should start NOW with some armed robbery or burglary! I need more money to pay my ever-increasing taxes!

Old 05-13-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Not sure how this relates to an officer repeatedly bashing in a 20 yr old non-violent offender's face over a less than misdemeanor amount of weed?! I don't care as much about said person's face as about cops who make great money acting professionally and not getting filmed in a dirty jackpot and not fending off hard to defend scandals weekly. It is a stain on the good ones and perpetuates a cycle of distrust that is hard to break. It makes it more dangerous and difficult for the good ones too. Of course it's just hyperbole but for every 1000 heroic actions by LE, it only takes 2 or 3 of these nimrod moves to destroy a lot of goodwill. That's what annoys me most when I see these videos.
The bottom line is it's just more millions for the taxpayers of Nassau to shell out to "compensate" this criminal when he sues! So the cop who bashed his face in actually did him a favor and he'll get an upgrade out of poverty to Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. He'll go from drug user and general dirtbag to multimillionaire all on our backs! I hope he sends that cop a thank you card!

PS: Aren't lawsuit winnings of this nature completely tax free too?

PPS: Marigold, see post #40 for the particular NCPD scandal we were discussing. I know there's so many that it's no wonder we cannot keep them all straight!

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 05-13-2014 at 11:06 AM..

Old 05-13-2014, 12:30 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
The bottom line is it's just more millions for the taxpayers of Nassau to shell out to "compensate" this criminal when he sues! So the cop who bashed his face in actually did him a favor and he'll get an upgrade out of poverty to Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. He'll go from drug user and general dirtbag to multimillionaire all on our backs! I hope he sends that cop a thank you card!

PS: Aren't lawsuit winnings of this nature completely tax free too?

PPS: Marigold, see post #40 for the particular NCPD scandal we were discussing. I know there's so many that it's no wonder we cannot keep them all straight!

The lawsuit will take years and will almost certainly be settled for less then you actually think. That's if he even has a basis for said lawsuit. No one knows 100% of the story yet other than assumptions made from a silent surveillance video.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
The lawsuit will take years and will almost certainly be settled for less then you actually think. That's if he even has a basis for said lawsuit. No one knows 100% of the story yet other than assumptions made from a silent surveillance video.
You're right. I am just preparing for the worst ...

Old 05-13-2014, 12:58 PM

321 posts, read 595,951 times
Quote:
So you're saying that I or any private citizen would also get community service and a $500 fine too if I shoved a gun in a bar manager's face and there was nothing preferential about that sentence?
What the cop did would constitute a menacing charge.
-----
A person is guilty of menacing in the second degree when: 1. He or she intentionally places or attempts to place another person in reasonable fear of physical injury, serious physical injury or death by displaying a deadly weapon, dangerous instrument or what appears to be a pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun or other firearm; or
-----
Menacing is an A Misdemeanor. That means when you plea bargain they knock it down to a B Mis. If you have no previous criminal record and plea guilty to a B Mis often times there will be only a fine without any community service etc.

If you are convicted of driving with a suspended license it is the same level of crime that the cop in the bar scandal plead guilty to.

I'm not saying that I agree with the law or the sentence, however, THIS IS THE LAW.

You laugh it off and say it's funny but this is a major problem in NY. The criminals are not held accountable. In this case, the former cop is a criminal. He needs to be held accountable but we're not going to start holding former cops to a higher standard than we hold hardened criminals.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:04 PM

519 posts, read 597,704 times
Quote:
What the cop did would constitute a menacing charge.
-----
A person is guilty of menacing in the second degree when: 1. He or she intentionally places or attempts to place another person in reasonable fear of physical injury, serious physical injury or death by displaying a deadly weapon, dangerous instrument or what appears to be a pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun or other firearm; or
-----
Menacing is an A Misdemeanor. That means when you plea bargain they knock it down to a B Mis. If you have no previous criminal record and plea guilty to a B Mis often times there will be only a fine without any community service etc.

If you are convicted of driving with a suspended license it is the same level of crime that the cop in the bar scandal plead guilty to.

I'm not saying that I agree with the law or the sentence, however, THIS IS THE LAW.

You laugh it off and say it's funny but this is a major problem in NY. The criminals are not held accountable. In this case, the former cop is a criminal. He needs to be held accountable but we're not going to start holding former cops to a higher standard than we hold hardened criminals.
I disagree. It's a felony.

He absolutely SHOULD be held to a higher standard. He's a cop, not a hardened criminal!

Man, you guys sure have the blue wall of silence thing down pat. You really know how to twist the law...

This is how it would go down for any of us "regular citizens"....

S 265.03 Criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree when:
(1) with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, such person:
(a) possesses a machine-gun; or
(b) possesses a loaded firearm; or
(c) possesses a disguised gun; or
(2) such person possesses five or more firearms; or
(3) such person possesses any loaded firearm. Such possession shall
not, except as provided in subdivision one or seven of section 265.02 of
this article, constitute a violation of this subdivision if such
possession takes place in such person's home or place of business.

Criminal possession of a weapon in the second degree is a class C felony.

Once he decided to abuse his carrying privileges, all bets are off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island