Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:40 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times

Advertisements

We could all concrete over our grass verges. That would make everyone happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 01:19 AM

167 posts, read 305,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
I don't have a sidewalk where I live but I had a similar problem. When I would come home from work or being out with my family I would find dog poop at the end of my driveway. A few times I ran the poop over parking my car.

So I checked my security cameras and sure enough this guy walks his dog down my block every day and every day he stops and lets his dog poop in front of my driveway.

I waited one day and approached him as the dog was pooping in front of my driveway. I introduced myself quickly and asked him if he could please pick up his dogs poop after it was finished or have him go someplace else. I even pointed out where my garbage cans are and said he could deposit the poop in them if he wanted. All I got back was, "Whatever."

So, I followed him from a distance and found out where he lived.

Over the next week I collected his dogs poop in a trash bag.

I put on a pair of nitrile gloves and went to his house and drew a smiley face in dog poop on his front porch.

He doesn't walk his dog on my block anymore.
OMG a smiley face to boot!!!!!!

Old 05-23-2014, 02:01 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Legally the strip is not your property and dogs like to do it on grass not in street. So what

Old 05-23-2014, 04:48 PM

796 posts, read 1,756,486 times
You can use it as a toilet yourself, and see how the dog owners like it.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:55 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Legally the strip is not your property and dogs like to do it on grass not in street. So what
But legally I am responsible to maintain it.
So as long as I am spending my time, labor and money on maintaining it keep your damn dogs off of it unless you agree to assist me with maintaining it. For all the people who claim this is not a big deal and this property doesent belong to us blah blah blah, I am going to start having parties on said strip in front of your house and when you complain about it I am going to give you the same lame assed excuses as to why I can have a party and hang out and ruin said strip.
Thank you and goodnite.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user11518 View Post
Anyone know the best way to deter dogs from using the strip of grass between the road and sidewalk as a toilet. Forget about talking to these people. Anyone who would do this has a mental defect.

Thanks

Legally that is public property and as long as the dog owner picks up afterwards it is allowed. Dogs dont like walking in the street or pooping in the street. Plus folks drive like nuts and cars are parked on the street.

Finally, I dont feel like getting hit by a car either. However, every dog in neighborhood pees and poops on my strip as I have two trees which is why I feel no reason to go out of my way to keep my dog off other strips while everyone used my strip

Old 05-28-2014, 10:46 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,530 times
You could simply put a sign up that says "DO NOT USE LAWN AS BATHROOM" "DO NOT USE BATHROOM ON MY LAWN". Put a couple of them up. What I see often, they use the lawns that are damaged and untreated. Also since the lawn is not part of the property-line. Taking care of your lawn also makes an statement. I know what the OP means.

You want to be an jerk, you could always use a radio device to make a sound that makes the dog runs the other way. It works, real good.

About sprays, these only works, if "they tell the dog, do not walk here dangerous ".

Otherwise when the person does come along simply say "please do not use the bathroom on my lawn, I just treated it". Some idiots think a dog can use the bathroom on concrete, or stone.

If you know a person is going to do it, just put something over the lawn, like a plastic bag, and filling/piling/etc ( that stufff ). A person who sees the plastic might either A. Not let the dog use the bathroom or B, Let the dog go, but the plastic and stuff will absorb most of the urine, moisture.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:04 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
try sticking on those flags that landscapers put on it after spraying with chemicals. Of course you'll have to leave them there.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:36 PM

344 posts, read 717,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
You could simply put a sign up that says "DO NOT USE LAWN AS BATHROOM" "DO NOT USE BATHROOM ON MY LAWN".
Yeah, because that's a lot less tacky than a few yellow spots on the lawn.

Doesn't everyone treat their own lawn strip as second-class to their actual front/back yards? Do you truly put as much effort into its maintenance? If you do I respectfully submit you are a fool.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:52 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zytos View Post
Yeah, because that's a lot less tacky than a few yellow spots on the lawn.

Doesn't everyone treat their own lawn strip as second-class to their actual front/back yards? Do you truly put as much effort into its maintenance? If you do I respectfully submit you are a fool.
If that's your attitude about the strip, I respectfully submit you should move to a better neighborhood. You would understand then.

Get out of 631.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: