U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 04:16 PM

9,221 posts, read 19,155,993 times

Advertisements

Just curious, who knows that (some) Towns have restrictions regarding the length of time you can have a storage container (such as a PODS) on their property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 04:24 PM

16,782 posts, read 25,845,337 times
I know Garden City did it years ago. I'm sure you are SHOCKED!!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:17 PM

7,863 posts, read 10,545,026 times
The villages also have their own rules, often more restrictive than towns.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:58 PM

16,833 posts, read 29,096,666 times
A while back, I believe Brookhaven was looking into reducing the amount of time someone could have a PODS or similar portable storage container on their property. People were renting them and leaving them in place for extended periods of time, creating an eyesore. I've done a quick search of code and haven't hit upon the right combo of terms, but I believe that there was some sort of ordinance passed to limit the time one was on site.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:19 PM

10,345 posts, read 12,206,211 times
I think at this point every town has some sort of regulations for them.
whether or not it's enforced is a different story.

Old 05-19-2014, 11:32 PM

9,221 posts, read 19,155,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I think at this point every town has some sort of regulations for them.
whether or not it's enforced is a different story.
Since they don't drive down every street, it often takes a "caring" neighbor to draw their attention to it. Once a complaint is filed, they have to address it.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:31 AM

16,782 posts, read 25,845,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Since they don't drive down every street, it often takes a "caring" neighbor to draw their attention to it. Once a complaint is filed, they have to address it.
Yeah, I had a neighbor who made it her mission to "narc" (her word) on people. The village had told her she could have one while renovating then at the 12th hour (after it had been there 2 months) told her they were changing the law and it needed to go January 1. After that she made no sure no one was taking advantage and I'm guessing at this point the building inspector is the village's friend as far as enforcement.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,582 times
Default Brookhaven Town Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
A while back, I believe Brookhaven was looking into reducing the amount of time someone could have a PODS or similar portable storage container on their property. People were renting them and leaving them in place for extended periods of time, creating an eyesore. I've done a quick search of code and haven't hit upon the right combo of terms, but I believe that there was some sort of ordinance passed to limit the time one was on site.
I have searched Brookhaven's website, eCode360.com, and the NY Secretary of State website. All
local laws MUST be filed to be legal and valid. Nothing found, and several attorneys have looked
into this for me. They all found nothing either, and I've been stonewalled for over a year by the
Town and its employees, getting different answers, and no citations despite repeated requests to
the Law Dept. So I filed a FOIL request, they didn't even respond to that either yet to tell me that
they received it, with a copy to me, and it is being researched as to cost of copying documents in
the Town Clerk's office, Law Dept. and Code Enforcement.

I am doing this as part of my due diligence in preparation to selling mom's house and moving. My
attorney is handling the matter now. I've heard from one realtor they make alleged laws up Code
Enforcement can write tickets for, and have to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars in fines a day
if convicted of a violation in District Court. This might get ugly in the near future. Stay tuned...

Old 08-30-2017, 10:17 AM

467 posts, read 1,303,039 times
Southold adopted such a rule this year. I think it is 30 days if in a front or side yard.

Old 08-30-2017, 10:27 AM

16,833 posts, read 29,096,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsong1 View Post
I have searched Brookhaven's website, eCode360.com, and the NY Secretary of State website. All
local laws MUST be filed to be legal and valid. Nothing found, and several attorneys have looked
into this for me. They all found nothing either, and I've been stonewalled for over a year by the
Town and its employees, getting different answers, and no citations despite repeated requests to
the Law Dept. So I filed a FOIL request, they didn't even respond to that either yet to tell me that
they received it, with a copy to me, and it is being researched as to cost of copying documents in
the Town Clerk's office, Law Dept. and Code Enforcement.

I am doing this as part of my due diligence in preparation to selling mom's house and moving. My
attorney is handling the matter now. I've heard from one realtor they make alleged laws up Code
Enforcement can write tickets for, and have to pay hundreds or thousands of dollars in fines a day
if convicted of a violation in District Court. This might get ugly in the near future. Stay tuned...
Please keep us posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island