Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:27 AM

715 posts, read 1,233,600 times

Advertisements

Is there a way to find out how much each household receives in the rebate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:34 AM

400 posts, read 761,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Hard to act so "outraged" over 1-2% increases that are clearly contractual pillaging already committed. It's the rubber stamped increases from the last 7-8 years of 6-8% year over year that have been so crushing. The barn door was left open, the horses are gone. Now it's "only a 1% increase, see what a great job we're doing!" which is kind of true. 1% w/ salary and pension agreements locked by the Triborough manifesto (aka "foot on the taxpayer's back") is actually pretty good. Sad as it may seem.
But also, remember.

Some State Aid was now reinstated, Pension Fund had a good return this past year. We get screwed during the recession.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:48 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
This check is the stupidest, clearly political sham. Lets take too much tax money from you, spend God knows how much money to create this program and mail your money back to you! Oh yeah, vote for me. Ugh!

Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
This check is the stupidest, clearly political sham. Lets take too much tax money from you, spend God knows how much money to create this program and mail your money back to you! Oh yeah, vote for me. Ugh!
Wonderful....isnt it???

Old 05-21-2014, 02:23 PM

400 posts, read 761,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
I am not so sure about it. The way I look at it, this is State Aid, albeit state aid that actually goes into the pockets of the homeowner. Normally the state aid is just added to the total budget.. you never know how much the school gets and they will never refund it to you.

It also adds some incentive for the community to make sure that the district stays under the cap. If the district tries to pierce the cap, people know they wont get the rebate check. I think it is actually a start in the right direction.. although yes it is political due to the election year..

Old 05-21-2014, 03:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
I am not so sure about it. The way I look at it, this is State Aid, albeit state aid that actually goes into the pockets of the homeowner. Normally the state aid is just added to the total budget.. you never know how much the school gets and they will never refund it to you.

It also adds some incentive for the community to make sure that the district stays under the cap. If the district tries to pierce the cap, people know they wont get the rebate check. I think it is actually a start in the right direction.. although yes it is political due to the election year..
A problem many districts face is that increases to contractual obligations take up a fair amount of that 2% that they need to be held to. Where do the cuts come from -- the programs. We're sort of damned if we do, damned if we dont.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:35 PM

570 posts, read 1,214,655 times
State aid is not just added into the budget! That and the tax levy (your personal school tax) are what makes up the revenue for the district to run, it's the basis of your school budget revenue side. It is very easy to find out how much state aid your district receives each year. You can either ask the business office or go on the state website that lists every detail of the aid your district receives!

When everyone else grieves their taxes to get the amount they pay go down, it results in others having to "make up" that amount to meet the total tax levy amount. Not saying people shouldn't grieve their taxes, but this is exactly what happens due to that.

By now, districts should be better prepared and not have to put out a "pierce the cap" budget. They know it won't pass! Laying off teachers is the only way most can get their budget under control each year. My district managed to get an agreement with the teacher's union this year that will freeze their salary increase and the step increase. As a result we are getting our full-day Kindergarten back.

I agree that the tax rebate check from the state to some residents is just a political ploy by Cuomo.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:16 PM

703 posts, read 1,173,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
A problem many districts face is that increases to contractual obligations take up a fair amount of that 2% that they need to be held to. Where do the cuts come from -- the programs. We're sort of damned if we do, damned if we dont.
Exactly! It's heads I win, tails you lose.
But with current demographic trends, there will be teacher layoffs. There's going to be 30-50 fewer kids per grade in most districts starting with this year.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:19 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
Exactly! It's heads I win, tails you lose.
But with current demographic trends, there will be teacher layoffs. There's going to be 30-50 fewer kids per grade in most districts starting with this year.
In my district that started 6 years ago and about 50 teachers have been laid off. This has aided the district in maintaining costs.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:21 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
By now, districts should be better prepared and not have to put out a "pierce the cap" budget. They know it won't pass! Laying off teachers is the only way most can get their budget under control each year. My district managed to get an agreement with the teacher's union this year that will freeze their salary increase and the step increase. As a result we are getting our full-day Kindergarten back.
What happens next year if the staff receives COL increases - does kindergarten go back to part time or is something else cut?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island