Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 02:36 PM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times

Advertisements

Based solely on my subjective opinion I believe the "Tax Cap" has effectively reduced the 'no' votes and contributed to the enormous school budget passing rate (98%) on LI as well as the individual passing margins this year. Both, apparently, were record setting state-wide. I am not entirely sure this was the goal of those who wanted a "Tax Cap". Those very few districts who pierced the cap were voted down. The message to the districts: Stay within the cap and your district budget passes easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 03:08 PM

1,307 posts, read 1,664,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Are you saying that teachers love some of what the government does and dislike some of what the government does?
No, not as broad as that. When you accept state legislation that protects your salary and job at the expense of others it is hypocritical to argue that the state should have NO say in how your job performance is measured and distributed to those paying your salary.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by kmrlongisland
One thing I love about teachers, I have two in my family, is their hypocrisy - they don't want the government suggesting curriculum modifications (Common Core) but they sure as hell love having the government protect their union contracts.

Originally Posted by Quick Commenter
Are you saying that teachers love some of what the government does and dislike some of what the government does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
No, not as broad as that. When you accept state legislation that protects your salary and job at the expense of others it is hypocritical to argue that the state should have NO say in how your job performance is measured and distributed to those paying your salary.
I had no idea common core was related to measuring job performance. Got it.
And can your relatives reject this state legislation? If they rejected the legislation and rejected this common core evaluation system you note and accepted some other evaluation system not from the state then that would at least be consistent and not hypocritical I guess.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 05-22-2014 at 04:03 PM..

Old 05-22-2014, 04:12 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
I don't understand something that seems to be a common theme on this thread. Where are there teachers on LI making "close to 6 figures"? Also, what do you suggest we pay our teachers? They have to live on LI, too.

I'm not a teacher and I'm not saying there isn't a budget issue, but people who complain that teachers make too much money - I don't get it. If they live here on LI like the rest of us, how much should we pay them? They're not living in mansions on their teachers' salaries, are they?
So you think every single person who lives on Long Island should make 6 figures? Your argument makes no sense. Most teachers, let's face it, are women. They are a second salary.

One of my kids' teachers was married to a cop. I don't even want to tell you about the lifestyle those two led. Another did BUILD a "mansion" in Garden City. Nepotism runs rampant. Cadillac benefits for life.

Educate yourself.

A couple weeks ago I was ridiculed (by an ex-pat civil servant) for stating that the vast majority of people on Long Island don't have any idea what they are paying for - and here we have our very own CD poster proving my point.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
So you think every single person who lives on Long Island should make 6 figures? Your argument makes no sense. Most teachers, let's face it, are women. They are a second salary.
Maybe women should be paid less than men since it is 'mostly' a second salary. Except, of course, women who are single/divorced because then it is a primary salary. And a women who is separated but not divorced could make something in between depending on how many children (if any) are involved. And a woman who is married but is the sole provider could earn more than single women with or without dependent children.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:54 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Maybe women should be paid less than men since it is 'mostly' a second salary. Except, of course, women who are single/divorced because then it is a primary salary. And a women who is separated but not divorced could make something in between depending on how many children (if any) are involved. And a woman who is married but is the sole provider could earn more than single women with or without dependent children.
Are you people for real

What is this 1940's? Do you guys remember the Equal pay act of 1963? or Title VII of the civil rights act of 1964

Please tell me this is a joke

Old 05-22-2014, 04:54 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,540 times
Quote:

One of my kids' teachers was married to a cop. I don't even want to tell you about the lifestyle those two led. Another did BUILD a "mansion" in Garden City. Nepotism runs rampant. Cadillac benefits for life.

Educate yourself.

A couple weeks ago I was ridiculed (by an ex-pat civil servant) for stating that the vast majority of people on Long Island don't have any idea what they are paying for - and here we have our very own CD poster proving my point.
No way can you afford anything close to a mansion in Garden City on teacher/cop salaries. Obviously, there was money from another source- inheritance, side jobs, something illegal, who knows. Most teachers/cops do live comfortable middle class lifestyles- but if they are living crazy extravagantly there is something else going on.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:05 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
No way can you afford anything close to a mansion in Garden City on teacher/cop salaries. Obviously, there was money from another source- inheritance, side jobs, something illegal, who knows. Most teachers/cops do live comfortable middle class lifestyles- but if they are living crazy extravagantly there is something else going on.

You keep telling yourself that. This teacher makes well into the 100Ks on her second income - no worries about saving for retirement or paying for healthcare - for her or her spouse. And she got her newly minted college graduate a job in the district. Amazing how that happened.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:09 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,540 times
Quote:
You keep telling yourself that. This teacher makes well into the 100Ks on her second income - no worries about saving for retirement or paying for healthcare - for her or her spouse. And she got her newly minted college graduate a job in the district. Amazing how that happened.
Whether or not you think she deserves to be paid $100k++ isn't the issue at all. The issue is that $100k doesn't buy you an extravagant lifestyle on Long Island.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:23 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I have family that live in *close* to a mansion on civil service salaries. In Garden City. No inheritance. Just know how to milk the OT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island