U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2014, 06:58 AM
A&H A&H started this thread

108 posts, read 369,334 times

Advertisements

We are looking to install a mini-split (or two) for our house. If you have done it for your house and are happy with it, could you please share your experience:

Which brand did you go with?
What is the unit BTU you've installed and for what size room?
Would you have gone for a higher/lower BTU unit for what reason?
How much was the total cost?
If you would provide contact info to your installer?

I'd like to install one in our first floor cape, open floor plan with open kitchen. 625 sqft (25 x 25).

Thank you for any comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 07:37 AM

260 posts, read 361,485 times
We are thrilled with our units and have had a great experience with our installer. We also received great pricing from Apple Air (also a Diamond Contractor for Mitsubishi) so definitely worth pricing both.

Which brand did you go with?

Mitsubishi

What is the unit BTU you've installed and for what size room?
We installed 4 (36,000 BTU compressor) on the first floor of our cape, don't have the dimensions handy but roughly 1500 square feet for the four rooms below.
1- 15,000 BTU for dining room and kitchen (one open room)
2- 12,000 BTU for living room
3- 9,000 BTU for mancave/den
4- 6,000 BTU for 1st floor guestbedroom

Would you have gone for a higher/lower BTU unit for what reason?
Nope, very happy with how well the rooms heat and cool. The sales staff at Gelber and sons is knowledgable and recommended what would work best for our home.

How much was the total cost? ~$10,000 for the four units and compressor installed

If you would provide contact info to your installer?

STANLEY GELBER & SONS HEATING AND COOLING
UNIONDALE, NY 11553 (Nassau)
(516) 538-0040

Old 05-28-2014, 09:28 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,333 times
I had a Mitsubishi 'Mr Slim' mini-split in my previous house, for a second floor room that did not share a roofline with the rest of the house (which had traditional central air).

This one unit effectively cooled (most of the time even just on the "dry" cycle rather than "cooling") approximately 900 square feet of space. Very impressed.

I have used Elm Air Conditioning (based in Freeport) for many years, both for traditional CAC and the mini-split, and have nothing but the highest praise for them. Professional, helpful, and their techs are top-notch and really know their stuff.

I've heard that the new Mitsu units are even quieter and more efficient than the one I had (which was installed about 10 years ago).

Old 05-29-2014, 05:40 AM
A&H A&H started this thread

108 posts, read 369,334 times
Thank you both for your recommendation. I will wait to try to get a couple more references and call them up for quote.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:07 AM

126 posts, read 189,569 times
We also installed Mitsubishi mini-splits and had Stanley Gelber & Sons do the work. We have 2 outside units and 5 inside, 4 bedrooms and a living room. We've been mostly happy with it, but one of the inside units has a noise problem that we are going around with Mitsubishi on. I have to say that this has been the most comfortable, and least expensive, winter we've had since moving here 4 years ago, so I still recommend them.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:56 PM

730 posts, read 1,028,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless35 View Post
We also installed Mitsubishi mini-splits and had Stanley Gelber & Sons do the work. We have 2 outside units and 5 inside, 4 bedrooms and a living room.
Just curious: Did you consider getting the "hybrid" Mitsu system in which you have ceiling vents (just like for regular central air) in different rooms but 2 or 3 of them can work off a single unit that is in the space above, instead of having a unit on the wall within the living space?

I understand that these are more expensive than having the indoor/on-wall units but slightly less expensive than having a traditional CAC with the humongous air handler and, of course, ducts snaking all over the attic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island