Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:45 AM

238 posts, read 1,957,758 times

Advertisements

My backyard is a real mess. We bought our house a year ago and we're now ready to tackle it. We just had a new fence installed and the workers left the yard in an even worse state than before.

We have TONS of ivy and patchy, weed-covered "grass". I'd like to tear out everything and start fresh with new grass and a perimeter consisting of mulch and simple plants. The yard is approximately 2,500 sq. ft. and we have in-ground sprinklers with many heads (we have well water which I've heard is great because the water is always ice cold).

I'd like to attempt doing this myself (with a helper), but I've never done anything like this before. I know nothing about gardening. I've read some conflicting information. Do I need to rent a sod cutter or a rototiller, or both? Should I use the powered ones, or should I use manual? I know I'll need fertilizer and top soil, but how much of each? What type of grass seed should I use? Do I need to dig trenches for the mulch perimeter, and what tool is used for this? And in what order do these steps get implemented?

As you can see, I'm very confused about the process and don't really know where to begin. I'd really like to get this project going so that we can have a presentable yard for the summer. I know that the fall is the best time to do this, but I've read that there are types of grass that thrive in the heat (Rye, I think), and my yard has a lot of shade from many large trees, and as I said, we have the ice cold well water for constant watering.

Can anyone provide clear step-by-step instructions on what I need to do? I'm in Nassau County, by the way. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 08:03 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
I can add one thing for you that is MUST do and will cost you nothing (imagine that) but if you don't do it, it could cost you plenty. Call the DIG hotline, the number is in the front pages of the local phone book they throw on your driveway. If not you should call every utility company to "mark out" they will understand. If you hit a water line, or gas line etc. it can be very pricy.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:19 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Well....it's really a little late to get new grass seed down. It will be too hot.

Do you have the budget for sod?

Do not use a rototiller. All you are doing is just turning over the weeds back into the soil... to grow again.

Do you have pets or children?

Old 06-06-2014, 08:32 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Send out a soil sample and they will tell you what to add.....if you hurry, you can still seed. Sod is nice but expensive and you must water it constantly as it will burn out quickly.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:33 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,401,968 times
A 2,500 sq. ft yard is going to be a lot of work. If you want to tackle this piece by piece you could get it done in a few weeks or a month. You have to be very careful with ivy removal because a lot of lawns that have ivy also have poison ivy. I've noticed it on several friends and family's lawns.

You also have to realize that it is going to get hot out now and the roots are stronger now for weeds and other plants. The best time to have taken on this task would have been in the early Spring. It's going to be a lot of back breaking work but very rewarding once you get it done. You are going to need several tools, lawn equipment, a wheelbarrow, bags, soil ,etc. You sure you don't want to get a few estimates to see how much it was cost you to get it done?

Old 06-06-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
A 2,500 sq. ft yard is going to be a lot of work. If you want to tackle this piece by piece you could get it done in a few weeks or a month. You have to be very careful with ivy removal because a lot of lawns that have ivy also have poison ivy. I've noticed it on several friends and family's lawns.

You also have to realize that it is going to get hot out now and the roots are stronger now for weeds and other plants. The best time to have taken on this task would have been in the early Spring. It's going to be a lot of back breaking work but very rewarding once you get it done. You are going to need several tools, lawn equipment, a wheelbarrow, bags, soil ,etc. You sure you don't want to get a few estimates to see how much it was cost you to get it done?
We're trying to save money wherever we can. We just had a new fence installed which was very expensive. We had a lot of landscaping and brick work done in the front of our house last summer and I had asked the foreman what it would cost to tear out everything out back. The tear-out alone would be $2K, so the total cost would probably be around $5K or more. I figure doing it myself will probably cost around $1K.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:51 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,401,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge13 View Post
We're trying to save money wherever we can. We just had a new fence installed which was very expensive. We had a lot of landscaping and brick work done in the front of our house last summer and I had asked the foreman what it would cost to tear out everything out back. The tear-out alone would be $2K, so the total cost would probably be around $5K or more. I figure doing it myself will probably cost around $1K.
What you want to do is going to be a lot of work. Your first course of action would be to rip out all of the weeds and ivy. Any chance you could take a pic of your backyard to see what we are dealing with?

Old 06-06-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
What you want to do is going to be a lot of work. Your first course of action would be to rip out all of the weeds and ivy. Any chance you could take a pic of your backyard to see what we are dealing with?

This is the best photo I have at the moment. If you can tell, there is a very wide perimeter of ivy growing around the whole yard. It's even more out of control now than it was in this photo.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:43 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Hmm... it looks more like pachysandra to me than ivy. Which would make sense as it is an excellent ground cover for shady areas.

I'd leave it alone right now. Just cut it back to an even border.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Hmm... it looks more like pachysandra to me than ivy. Which would make sense as it is an excellent ground cover for shady areas.

I'd leave it alone right now. Just cut it back to an even border.
Nope. In the very back there is some pachysandra, but everywhere else it's ivy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island