Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 07:50 AM

7 posts, read 7,510 times

Advertisements

26 year-old male. Haven't had much of a work ethic until a recent epiphany, so I don't have a resume worth making (and so I'm looking for a non-judgmental employer). One idea I had was landscaping; outdoors would be nice. I can't be picky, though. One thing I can't do is painting because I have a really strong sense of smell. I just did searches on Craigslist (General Labor section) for my town and several surrounding towns and barely any results came up. Barely any results for my local Patch.

I've applied at three landscaping companies so far. The first one, the length of time that it's been for the lack of call-back is an indication of "no." Second one, not hiring. Yesterday I gave my number to one of the workers I saw who said he had heard of a job, for whatever that's worth.

In this post I'm just looking for any advice on how to find a job. Simply calling up companies, starting with those closest to you is the simplest solution, but is that poor etiquette?

Really frustrated that I don't have a job and just would like to find a job (gen. labor, e.g. landscaping or dishwashing). And as the title says, I don't drive, so it's got to be in PW or one of the neighboring towns. And I'm willing to do non-paid training for up to three weeks.

Last edited by SN773; 06-06-2014 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 07:59 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,906 times
You need to learn to drive. "Decent jobs" that aren't in retail for unskilled workers with no resume are likely to be hard to come by, since I imagine there are lots of folks looking for exactly the same thing. You'll have much better luck if you can get yourself to where the work actually is, which is not likely to be up in an isolated part of the North Shore.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
You need to learn to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
"Decent jobs"
Yeah, but I need a job first. Anyone would agree. Minimum wage is perfectly fine. I wasn't implying anything about pay by the word "decent." I'll edit my first post. I just added that I'm willing to do non-paid training for up to three weeks.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:08 AM

260 posts, read 450,810 times
Employment Opportunities - North Shore Animal League America

Are you comfortable with animals? North Shore Animal League has openings for kennel associates, includes benefits so definitely worth checking out.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN773 View Post
Yeah, but I need a job first. Anyone would agree. Minimum wage is perfectly fine. I wasn't implying anything about pay by the word "decent." I'll edit my first post. I just added that I'm willing to do non-paid training for up to three weeks.
And my point is, you're in a bad location for someone who doesn't drive - Port Washington is pretty isolated (unless you're going to take the train to NYC), and jobs for unskilled workers with no driver's license aren't just going to fall out of the sky. If you're additionally geographically limited, that's a huge strike against you. I don't see why you need a job to be able to learn to drive a car, and not having a car is going to make you a difficult person to employ. Employers aren't going to take a risk on someone who is dependent on Nassau's notoriously awful bus service, and/or the kindness of friends and family, and/or a bike/walking to get to work, especially when they undoubtedly will have numerous other potential employees who won't present this problem.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasty View Post
Employment Opportunities - North Shore Animal League America

Are you comfortable with animals? North Shore Animal League has openings for kennel associates, includes benefits so definitely worth checking out.
No, I'm not, actually, but thanks anyway.

@InfoSeeker52, the last job I applied at, the manager was perfectly content when I told him that I'd take the bus or ride a bike. I don't think it's as much of an issue as you're saying. But overall, you have a point. I should probably focus on work-away farm jobs.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:41 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,627 times
Quote:

@InfoSeeker52, the last job I applied at, the manager was perfectly content when I told him that I'd take the bus or ride a bike. I don't think it's as much of an issue as you're saying. But overall, you have a point. I should probably focus on work-away farm jobs.
As a business owner I can tell you that someone who doesn't drive absolutely makes an impact on my hiring decision. If someone takes public transportation I am at the mercy of the bus schedule which means my employees may be late. They also seem to need to leave early to catch their bus. Someone who rides a bike may be more apt to call in sick in the winter or on a rainy day. If I have 2 equal applicants and one has a car and the other one doesn't, the one with their own transportation will get the job every time. That manager was an exception to the rule.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:57 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
There are tons of restaurants in PW, start knocking on doors and inquiring if there are dishwasher or bus boy positions available.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
There are tons of restaurants in PW, start knocking on doors and inquiring if there are dishwasher or bus boy positions available.
Good point. That poor work ethic still gets the best of me. In this case, not the work itself, but the search. I did that for one restaurant and never got a call back, despite the woman saying she thought they were hiring dish washers, and became totally discouraged after that. There's a fairly new one right near me. I'll go there for starters.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:

He said he was perfectly content, because what else was he going to say? The fact that you're still jobless in spite of his "contentment" with your transportation situation speaks a lot louder than whatever words he said that led you to that conclusion, don't you think?

ETA: I should note that I'm not generally anti-public transportation, and personally would prefer to live somewhere where cars were more likely to be perceived as optional/unnecessary (family obligations, however, keep me here for now). With that said, there is a HUGE car culture on LI, and a significant negative perception around non-drivers in the LI businesses where I've worked, both because non-drivers are perceived as "less reliable," and because older folks - say, beyond college age - without licenses were viewed as somehow suspect. It's perceived as being highly unusual to live your whole life here and not acquire a license at a relatively young age. People will wonder if you've lost your license due to legal troubles or have psych or physical problems that prevent you from driving (not to your face, of course, but definitely behind your back - I've seen it happen). I don't necessarily think that's right or fair, but I do think it's going to limit you in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island