Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 01:04 PM

8,688 posts, read 11,076,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But why does one need to be in a top 5 school district? You can succeed at life at any school district as long as you have the right mindset, drive, motivation, willing to put the work in and a good support system @ home etc etc... a large responsibility of that falling on the parents.
that is a great point. Some people think the $130k a year LI teachers are magicians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 01:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimehomebuyer23 View Post
If my company moves their central office to Manhattan we've decided to leave for Connecticut. You could get a beautiful home/palace on 2 acres for under 900k in a top 5 school district. The homes in the top 5 school districts on long island under 900k look generally like someones nightmare or are right by the train.
Quote:
But why does one need to be in a top 5 school district?.
Why? Home values are driven by school district desirability. Compare home values of schools in a top 5 district against those in middle 5 and the bottom 5.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
that is a great point. Some people think the $130k a year LI teachers are magicians
Those $130K magical teachers aren't exclusive to the top 5 districts.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:20 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Why? Home values are driven by school district desirability. Compare home values of schools in a top 5 district against those in middle 5 and the bottom 5.
Nowadays, home values are driven partially by access to a LIRR and NYC.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Nowadays, home values are driven partially by access to a LIRR and NYC.
Yes and no. A home could have good access to NYC via the LIRR and major east-west highways, but if it's in mediocre school district it won't fetch as much as the same home in what is perceived to be a better district.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:27 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Yes and no. A home could have good access to NYC via the LIRR and major east-west highways, but if it's in mediocre school district it won't fetch as much as the same home in what is perceived to be a better district.
Some things are not an option for certain people though. For example, someone who works in Manhattan probably will not consider Suffolk no matter how good a school district is. They may settle for a lesser school district b/c of its proximity to the city.

My fiancé and I have no kids and don't plan on it. We live where is affordable and with a good commute to our jobs. We don't care about the schools.

Not everyone has prime school district on the top of their list when considering a home.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:40 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Thank you, I'm smart sometimes... with my education from my 'not top 5' school district

Old 10-18-2017, 03:43 PM

9 posts, read 11,001 times
Maybe I am just new to LI, but I can't see the why I would pay a $200k premium just for a "Prime" school district. Just like Jdawg8181, I went to a very lowly rated high school, but was able to become a reasonably successful professional working in Manhattan. I now live in a decent size house (over 2,500sf) in a nice neighborhood, within 5 minutes of the LIRR. However, the school district is "average." I have no doubt that my kids will be okay.

One thing I noticed, which I have not seen anyone mention before, is that in the so called "prime" school districts, over 25% of the students are failing. What is up with that?

Old 10-18-2017, 03:44 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
Quote:
Some things are not an option for certain people though. For example, someone who works in Manhattan probably will not consider Suffolk no matter how good a school district is. They may settle for a lesser school district b/c of its proximity to the city.

My fiancé and I have no kids and don't plan on it. We live where is affordable and with a good commute to our jobs. We don't care about the schools.

Not everyone has prime school district on the top of their list when considering a home.
This is us also (my husband and I are child-free), but we also thought about re-sale value of our home. Re-sale value affects ability to sell down the road. Even though we didn't care too much about schools - we aren't going to run out and buy the biggest house in Hempstead because we know the school district is terrible and a gorgeous house will sit in the market for months based on terrible school district ratings.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:10 PM

9 posts, read 11,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
This is us also (my husband and I are child-free), but we also thought about re-sale value of our home. Re-sale value affects ability to sell down the road. Even though we didn't care too much about schools - we aren't going to run out and buy the biggest house in Hempstead because we know the school district is terrible and a gorgeous house will sit in the market for months based on terrible school district ratings.
Why would you use Hempstead in your comparison? Most people think of safety and quality of life as number the number one factor when buying a house. There are a lot of very nice, safe neighborhoods on LI, but for various reasons, the school district is not highly rated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island